Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Can sinning be overcome?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Those who have crucified the flesh, with the affections and lusts, (Gal 5:24), now have a divine nature.
Thanks be to God !
Gal 5:16, This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
It does not preclude that we do not have a nature of flesh.

I am in agreement with you that we do not have to walk according to it.

Remission means that, while it is still indwelling you, it is no longer a threat to your life, as in the remission of cancer. The cancer is still there but is no longer a threat.
If sin is remitted, it is gone.
Sin doesn't have a life of its own, it is an action done by someone.
If you are cured of cancer it is gone too.
Indwelling sin is spoken of in Galatians 5:17-21. We all have it (1 John 1:8)
I disagree.
That which has been reborn of God' seed is as pure as God is pure. (1 John 3:9)
Do you claim to be without sin?
Yes, to the glory of God and testimony of the efficacy of the suffering and death of Jesus to free me from sin.
If so, you are deceiving yourself and the truth is not in you.
If I was walking in darkness I wouldn't be able to honestly say I had no sin.
But I walk in the light, which is God, and there is no sin in God.

I am asking you a point-blank question here, and I want you to answer it with a yes or no.

Do you claim to be without sin?
I no longer commit sin.
Thanks be to God, Jesus Christ, the gift of repentance from sin, the gift of the Holy Ghost, water baptism into Christ and into His death, burial, and being raised with Him to walk in newness of life.
Plus, prayer, reading, and study.
God made it possible to walk in the light and in the Spirit, and I will remain here till the vessel perishes...God willing.

If sin is remitted, it is gone.
Sin doesn't have a life of its own, it is an action done by someone.
If you are cured of cancer it is gone too.
If sin is remitted it is not gone, it still indwells you but is no longer a threat.

A cancer that is put into remission is not cured; it is in remission. Which means that it is still there and might come back by growing to a threatening level again.
I disagree.
That which has been reborn of God' seed is as pure as God is pure. (1 John 3:9)
To claim it is to deceive yourself, however.

I consider that 1 John 1:8 is qualified by Job 9:21.
Yes, to the glory of God and testimony of the efficacy of the suffering and death of Jesus to free me from sin.
That is all I needed to hear. I will pray for you.
If I was walking in darkness I wouldn't be able to honestly say I had no sin.
But I walk in the light, which is God, and there is no sin in God.
However, there is sin in your flesh (Romans 7:18). Unless, of course, you are greater than Paul.

I no longer commit sin.
Thanks be to God, Jesus Christ, the gift of repentance from sin, the gift of the Holy Ghost, water baptism into Christ and into His death, burial, and being raised with Him to walk in newness of life.
Plus, prayer, reading, and study.
God made it possible to walk in the light and in the Spirit, and I will remain here till the vessel perishes...God willing.
Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4).

Do you wear tassels on your garments?

If not, you are in violation of the law and are therefore in sin.

Num 15:38, “Give the following instructions to the people of Israel: Throughout the generations to come you must make tassels for the hems of your clothing and attach them with a blue cord.
Num 15:39, When you see the tassels, you will remember and obey all the commands of the LORD instead of following your own desires and defiling yourselves, as you are prone to do.
Num 15:40, The tassels will help you remember that you must obey all my commands and be holy to your God.
Deu 22:12, “You must put four tassels on the hem of the cloak with which you cover yourself—on the front, back, and sides.

Remember what it says in Galatians:

Gal 3:10, For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.

and in James:

Jas 2:10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

and in Matthew:

Mat 5:48, Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Consider this also:

Gal 5:1, Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2, Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3, For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4, Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.

Guess what !
I am not married !
Let me just say to you that having a wife can shed light on the sin in your life and you should not presume to be without sin unless you have been married for a while and have had your wife complain about nothing in your behaviour.

If sin is remitted it is not gone, it still indwells you but is no longer a threat.
You have bequeathed life to an action that will or won't be committed in the future.
Sin doesn't have a personality.
If it is gone, it is gone.
Why give it a seat on the "bus"?
A cancer that is put into remission is not cured; it is in remission. Which means that it is still there and might come back by growing to a threatening level again.
You err in comparing the remission of a disease with remission of past sins by the blood of Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
Sins are actions, cancer is not.
To claim it is to deceive yourself, however.
Then verses 7 and 9 are lies.
They both say ALL our sins-unrighteousness CAN be washed away by the blood of Christ.
Verse 8 addresses those who walk in sin.
They are deceived if they say they have no sin...or if they say they have fellowship with God.
Those in the light can say both.
I consider that 1 John 1:8 is qualified by Job 9:21.
You see no difference between the OT and the NT?
That is all I needed to hear. I will pray for you.
To what end?
That I start to commit sin again and betray the Son if God who gave Himself to death so I could be free of it?
No thanks.
However, there is sin in your flesh (Romans 7:18). Unless, of course, you are greater than Paul.
I am greater than the Saul who was, in Rom 7, trying to please God by adhering to the Law of Moses...and failing.
But that was from his past before his conversion.

Let me just say to you that having a wife can shed light on the sin in your life and you should not presume to be without sin unless you have been married for a while and have had your wife complain about nothing in your behaviour.
As I have no wife it is quite impossible to sin against "her".
My life is centered on service to the Lord Jesus Christ.
He made it possible to do that perfectly.
Thanks be to God !

Sin is the transgression of the law (1 John 3:4).
Sin is any unrighteousness. (1 John 5:17)
Do you wear tassels on your garments?
If not, you are in violation of the law and are therefore in sin.
I am dead to the Law by the death of Christ.
Remember what it says in Galatians:
Gal 3:10, For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
and in James:
Jas 2:10, For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
and in Matthew:
Those Laws are as dead as circumcision and sabbath keeping.
The law of Christ is to love God with all your strength and heart, and love your neighbor as you love yourself.
Mat 5:48, Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Thank God for His Son who made it possible to obey Matt 5:48 !
Consider this also:
Gal 5:1, Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.
Gal 5:2, Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing.
Gal 5:3, For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law.
Gal 5:4, Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
Thank God for the law of liberty ! (James 1:25, 2:12)
"Love God with all your strength and heart, and love your neighbor as you love yourself."
It isn't impossible, as some would have us to believe.

Thank God for His Son who made it possible to obey Matt 5:48 !
If you are truly obeying Matthew 5:48, then you are justified by the law and are therefore fallen from grace (Galatians 5:1-4).

Unless you are not trusting in your obedience to save you but rather are basing your salvation on what Christ has done for you on the Cross in forgiving you of your sins.

You are dead to the law in that you are forgiven.

So, the law still applies as a righteous standard to define sin and the only way to be truly perfect is to obey it perfectly.

But if you obey it perfectly, are you not justified by it?

Last edited:
Thank God for the law of liberty ! (James 1:25, 2:12)
"Love God with all your strength and heart, and love your neighbor as you love yourself."
It isn't impossible, as some would have us to believe.
But if you don't clean up your pee when you go to the bathroom, you are not doing unto your wife as you would have her do unto you and therefore are not loving her the way you should.

But yes, by faith, we can obtain the Holy Spirit (Galatians 3:14) and the love of the Lord through the Holy Spirit (Romans 5:5).

If you are truly obeying Matthew 5:48, then you are justified by the law and are therefore fallen from grace (Galatians 5:1-4).
So obeying the commands of Jesus Christ will assure my destruction.
I disagree.
Jesus made it possible to walk as He did.
Thanks be to God.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back