Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Meeting a real apostle, today?

If this person fits, then what's the problem?

The problem is this person (apostle) says we don't have the full gospel and that means if we don't follow that church's doctrine we're not going to dwell in heaven or hell, but outside the doors of heaven in regret.

Did I get that right?

The problem is this person (apostle) says we don't have the full gospel and that means if we don't follow that church's doctrine we're not going to dwell in heaven or hell, but outside the doors of heaven in regret.

Did I get that right?

There is your first clue that he is not genuine. You needn't look further. Praise God, it is obvious in this case!

Didn't they replace Judas to make the full 12? But then isn't Paul the 13th?

The apostle in question satisfies all of these... which disturbs me a bit more.

He planted many churches, brought gospel to unreached places, trained leaders...

Deals with doctrinal problems, which is a reason why I'm in this forum! to discuss his doctrinal corrections!

He would say he promotes church unity in a way that he rejects church of today's many denominations. Church he plants are not affiliated with any denomination... which is one of the reasons y his church is labeled as cult.

Supernatrual demonstrations? yes he has some, he's not completely... normal. as in you and me normal.

No self promotion? well technically he never promotes himself. It's more like people of his church promotes him. He doesn't ask them to promote him though. Also he can't be there every second to denounce them from promoting him.

Financial guarantees. He's DEFINATELY not doing this for financial gain/gurarantees. This is what I got from seeing how he lives.

Does not merchandise, see previous on financial.

Humility. That can be subjective in a way. But same for promotion, I never hear him promoting himself.

Mark of cross. He has suffered ALOT, physical and mentally for the sake of the gospel he is preaching.

financial stewards
They open the church for other thigns than worship. They allow people without homes to stay... and food, and all sorts of stewards.

Don't want to write too much point by point here, but please ask if need me to be more detailed on any point I've responded to.

interesting i forgot about mathias. maybe he was killed and paul took his place.

but hmm food for thought.

Act 1:21 So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us,
Act 1:22 beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us--one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection."
Act 1:23 And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsabbas, who was also called Justus, and Matthias.
Act 1:24 And they prayed and said, "You, Lord, who know the hearts of all, show which one of these two you have chosen
Act 1:25 to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside to go to his own place." (ESV)

This suggests that for someone to even be considered for an Apostle required that they had accompanied the eleven "during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out" among them, likely one of the seventy. Obviously impossible for modern so-called apostles.

All modern day apostles are either self-appointed or appointed by those who are self-appointed.

In a very real sense, we are all apostles, "ones who are sent." In another sense, missionaries are true modern day apostles. But these self-proclaimed apostles puff themselves up and make themselves out to be equal to the first apostles, which is a grave error. It is nothing more than vanity, pride, selfish ambition, greed, and lust for power. The Bible says such men will come along, and come along they have.

Why conclude that? Has man designated only a certain number for apostles?

No.

because, in america i havent seen what you say as only pastors do that.

and most "apostles" are so far out there, that i would say that i would have to see it to believe it.

The bible tells us that there is such a calling, a gifting called apostle and that Holy Spirit anoints these individuals for ministry in the Church of Jesus Christ and will do so until he comes again, when the ministry will no longer be useful.

1 Corinthians 12:27-31
27 All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it. 28 Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church:
first are apostles,
second are prophets,
third are teachers,
then those who do miracles,
those who have the gift of healing,
those who can help others,
those who have the gift of leadership,
those who speak in unknown languages.

29 Are we all apostles? Are we all prophets? Are we all teachers? Do we all have the power to do miracles? 30 Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages? Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages? Of course not! 31 So you should earnestly desire the most helpful gifts.
But now let me show you a way of life that is best of all.

Last edited by a moderator:
because, in america i havent seen what you say as only pastors do that.

and most "apostles" are so far out there, that i would say that i would have to see it to believe it.

Apostles are a rare bunch, and many of them either are pastors or begin as pastors. They are usually pastors to pastors.

The bible tells us that there is such a calling, a gifting called apostle and that holy spirit anoints these individuals for ministry in the Church of Jesus Christ and will do so until he comes again, when the ministry will no longer be useful.

1 Corinthians 12:27-31
27 All of you together are Christ’s body, and each of you is a part of it. 28 Here are some of the parts God has appointed for the church:
first are apostles,
second are prophets,
third are teachers,
then those who do miracles,
those who have the gift of healing,
those who can help others,
those who have the gift of leadership,
those who speak in unknown languages.

29 Are we all apostles? Are we all prophets? Are we all teachers? Do we all have the power to do miracles? 30 Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages? Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages? Of course not! 31 So you should earnestly desire the most helpful gifts.
But now let me show you a way of life that is best of all.
I think it is error to equate this gifting with the office held by the first apostles. Like I said, missionaries are the closest to being what the original apostles were.

we call them senior pastors here as some churches have 4 or 5 pastors. ie calvary chapel ft.lauderdale

Senior pastors?

Usually someone today who is gifted as an apostle is over more than one congregation.

We have 8 pastors at our church, but our senior pastor is not an apostle--but he has one over him, who is over many other pastors working in various works all over the continent.

I think it is error to equate this gifting with the office held by the first apostles. Like I said, missionaries are the closest to being what the original apostles were.

Some missionaries could be easily gifted with the apostolic gift. Usually, though, they are sent or placed by one who has it.

Senior pastors?

Usually someone today who is gifted as an apostle is over more than one congregation.

We have 8 pastors at our church, but our senior pastor is not an apostle--but he has one over him, who is over many other pastors working in various works all over the continent.

Are you talking about the folks at Ministers Fellowship International?

Like Frank Demazio and Dick Iverson?

Ministers Fellowship International

not to be rude, by what makes you believe that you hold the apostle office? as the bible indicates only twelve are written on the wall of the descending holy city of new jerusalem?

and i am charismatic. but i'm very berean in nature.
Hi, Jason. I just read you comment (nothing else) and wanted to quick reply. You know there is a difference between the Apostles of the Lamb (the twelve) and the Office of Apostle, right?

Tell ya what... I Berean Race ya... see who can prove there are more than a baker's dozen (including the fallen Judas and replacement dude) first. Let's say Paul doesn't count 'cause he's special, right? He said he was "born out of time" and was personally selected by the Risen Christ. There are more though...

Let's see... Apostle means "Sent one". There seems to be (this is what I notice, not dogma) accompanying Gifts of the Holy Spirit (maybe all?) in the Apostles. Certainly they are Spirit Filled. If they are in the ministry of Church Building... When we read about how Peter and others replaced Judas we know that they were looking for an "Apostle of the Lamb". They are special, must have witnessed Jesus' ministry from the beginning and throughout. Must have walked with and remained with Him. Trying to find other qualifies to help our Bible race (assuming I'm not disqualified for false start and jumping the gun) ...

Jesus is the Chief Apostle
The Gospel of Mark states that Jesus initially sent out these twelve in pairs (Mark 6:7-13, Luke 9:1-6), to towns in Galilee. They were to heal the sick and drive out demons, and in the Gospel of Matthew to raise the dead, some scholars read this more metaphorically as instructions to heal the spiritually sick and thus to drive away wicked behavior. They are later described as having been commissioned to to preach the Gospel to the world, regardless of whether Jew or Gentile. The word that was used had Hebrew roots so prophets were not the same as one "fully empowered to act on behalf of the sender" (more on this later if you want).

1. Simon Peter,
  2. James
  3. John
  4. Andrew
  5. Matthew
  6. Simon the Zealot
  7. Bartholomew
  8. Philip, Thomas
  9. James of Alphaeus
  10. Judas
  11. and Judas Iscariot which betrayed Him
  12. OOPS - one more, just looked at the numbered list - I need to edit this, lol -- put two on line #8, sheesh - okay, leaving it...
The Twelve (including Mathias, the replacement dude) - God controlled the lot and the 11 were "in one accord" as they sought God about it - they all thought alike. The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD. Proverbs 16:33
So, excluding Judas and including Mathias (That's the 12 Apostles of the Lamb)

Then comes Paul totaling 14 (counting Jesus, the Chief Apostle too).
Romans 16 describes Pheobe as a "deacon" or "servant" so it appears she is not an Apostle per se. Don't forget James the Lord's brother (Galatians 1:19), Barnabas (Acts 14:14) and, depending on your degree of Greek study, Andronicus and Junia (Romans 16:7). Paul seems to include Apollos (1 Corinthians 4:6,9), and it would not be that much of a stretch to also include Silas.

Acts 13:2 As they ministered to the Lord, and fasted, the Holy Ghost said, Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work where unto I have called them. So that would mean there were more than one called after Paul.. or before Paul I should say according to Acts 11.. So Paul and Barnabas labored in the same ministry.

My personal thought is that we will see more of the office of Apostle (fully sanctioned and operating in power) as the time gets closer, until we all come in the unity of faith... I like this subject (as you can tell). My mind goes back almost 40 years to a a Greek word study combining "Apostle" and "Mystery". Look at Romans 16:7 calling Andronicus and Junia apostles, then cf. 1Thess 1:1 (showing the Paul, Silvanus, and Timotheous wrote) with 1Thess 2:6 (showing where those same three writers called themselves "apostles of Christ").

If this person fits, then what's the problem?

Did I get that right?

Yes. There's more to it than that, but that's what he says in a nutshell.

There is your first clue that he is not genuine. You needn't look further. Praise God, it is obvious in this case!

Yes but ur judging that's wrong based on your fundamental believe. He's calling that fundamental belief into question. What you say sounds like a simple open/shut case but it's not that simple.

His followers would look at u and say "There is your first clue that you are wrong. Your guided by ur own interpretations of the Word and not from an Apostle, who has divine insight."

So how is your reasoning different from theirs? If their reasoning is wrong, then isn't urs wrong too?

If we say "we are right because of our reasons" then we're no different from their reasoning. We must need more reason than just "our reasons" Because after all... the Truth is not relative, it's absolute. We must make sure "our reasons" are in agreement with the Truth and not just "our reasons"

interesting i forgot about mathias. maybe he was killed and paul took his place.

maybe... but then we can't really speculate.

This suggests that for someone to even be considered for an Apostle required that they had accompanied the eleven "during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out" among them, likely one of the seventy.

.. But Paul wasn't there "during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out" either and he's considered an Apostle.

Obviously impossible for modern so-called apostles.

Well Jesus can still show Himself to people even in modern day. How then is that impossible if you are directly called by Jesus? Unless you believe Jesus would never show Himself to anyone in modern day. Then in that case, what are you basing that belief based on?

All modern day apostles are either self-appointed or appointed by those who are self-appointed.

For example like Paul, who was directly called by Jesus. If you ask him, he would identify himself as an apostle. For those who believes he is directly called would consider him as not self-appointed. For theos who believes he made it up would consider him as self-appointed. So how can u tell the difference for this guy? We weren't there when he was "called"

In a very real sense, we are all apostles, "ones who are sent."

Your definition of apostle is "ones who are sent" R u sure that's all there is to it? The bible talks about pastors and preachers and so on. They can be all considered "sent" and yet bible gives them distinction.

In another sense, missionaries are true modern day apostles. But these self-proclaimed apostles puff themselves up and make themselves out to be equal to the first apostles, which is a grave error. It is nothing more than vanity, pride, selfish ambition, greed, and lust for power. The Bible says such men will come along, and come along they have.

Seems like your fundamental argument is that impossible for a modern day person to be similar to those apostles in the biblical days. What are you basing this belief on?

Please excuse my asking of "what r u basing this on?" all the time. I rather know y i'm agreeing with u instead of just agreeing.

i would have to see it to believe it.

So... even if he's legit, but you never get to see him, you don't believe it?

Apostles are a rare bunch...

u use "rare" meaning they do exist? I mean in modern day.

BTW, i know the world has it's fill of fake ones. But that's not enough reason to mark them all fake.

we call them senior pastors here as some churches have 4 or 5 pastors. ie calvary chapel ft.lauderdale

Bible doesn't make a distinction between pastors and senior pastors. But bible does make distinction between apostles and other roles. So in modern day, the existence of pastors doesn't necessarily prove non-existence of apostles.

By the way, the apostle in question here is not denying that he is the only apostle today. He says there could be more like him elsewhere. He also wouldn't mind to contact them if he can. So... it's not like hes saying "listen to me and only me." This actually supports his attitude of "i am speaking what God wants me to say, and others like me would say the same because we're all speaking from the same God."

@Sparrowhawke

Office of Apostle? I don't hear much about this. How does one become apostle by this office then? Are there a list of requirements? Are they anything like the list that Alabaster posted here?

The apostle:

Plants churches
1 Corinthians 3:10-11, Galatians 1:6-10, 3:13

Takes the gospel to unreached places
Romans 15:20

Appoints and trains leaders
Acts 14:21-23 and Titus 1:5

Deals with doctrinal problems and sin
1 Corinthians 1:1-16:24 and Acts 15

Networks churches and promotes unity
1 Corinthians 16:1-4, Ephesians 4:1-16, Romans 15:25-27

Demonstrates and imparts the supernatural
2 Timothy 1:6-7, 2 Corinthians 12:12, Acts 4:33, Acts 8:4-20, Acts 10:44-46, Acts 19:16

Does no manipulation or self promotion (a biggie, and one characteristic that helps us all rule out those who are self-appointed and not God appointed!)
2 Corinthians 11:7-15

Is a servant who does not demand financial guarantees
2 Corinthians 12:14-18

Will not merchandise the gospel
John 2:13-17, Hebrews 3:1

Bears humility in adversity
1 Corinthians 4:9-13

Mark of the cross - personal crucifixion
2 Corinthians 1:3-7, Philippians 3:17-21

Faithful financial stewards
Acts 4:33-37

In the Office of Apostle, who determines these requirements and who verify these requirements are met?

RUN - RUN AWAY!!!!

"Their leader is claimed to be an apostle who have directly heard God’s voice/instructions."

Big hairy deal - I've heard God's instructions myself through the ministry of the Holy Spirit - ALL Christians are capable of "Hearing from God" since His presence dwells within. But I'm not an "Apostle" - just a "Reasonably NORMAL Christian".

"Gospel we’ve (today’s Christians) received is incomplete"

Actually it's totally complete, but God DOES continue to lead us into His truths. That's the job of the Holy SPirit:

1 John 2:26 These things have I written unto you concerning them that seduce you.
27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

"Those who believe in God with the incomplete gospel will not go to hell, but cannot enter heaven either. They will reside outside of heaven, regretting their life."

This is just plain STUPIDITY - totally unsupported in the Bible. If the Prophet's "god" told him this, then it's not THE God who's leading him.

"A church rejects an apostle’s leadership is not properly guided by God. In other words, all of today’s churches who know of his (the apostle) existence must let him lead."

This is the MAIN INDICATION - RED FLAG that you're dealing with a CULT - the 'ol "Touch not the Lord's anointed" DOMINATION language.

RUN AWAY!!!!

Baptize must be full body under water, otherwise not baptized.

Baptism by immersion does appear to be be the Biblical pattern. But "Baptism isn't a "salvific issue" in and of itself, and even the early Christians "Sprinkled" depending on conditions - but FAVORED "Living water" - i.e. lakes or rivers to "get 'er done". The Cowboy Churches use a galvanized Horse tank - works just as well.

Worship and prayer must include speaking/singing in tongues

Sounds like you might be tangled up with "Oneness Pentecostals". In my Cuurch (the Assemblies of God in DeSoto, TX), we sing in English, and pray all together in English, "Spanglish" (it's Texas after all) and tongues.

We DON'T tie a "MUST INCLUDE" clause on ANY of that. being told what you MUST DO is an indication of a TOXIC Church that practices DOMINATION of its congregation. RUN AWAY!!!

"Sounds like a cult? well I think so."

I think so too!! - RUN AWAY!!!!

"However they have bible verses to backup everything they say."

OF COURSE THEY DO!!!! Cults always have "Bible verses" to back up EVERYTHING according to their interpretations. That's the way the "Theology game" is played!!

"Discuss with them shows they know the bible very well, better than I. I’m having trouble determining where their teachings are wrong. If I can't find fault in their belief, does that mean they are right?"

NO!!! It means you can't "see" through their smoke screen - BUT it DOES indicate that YOU are not as Biblically savvy as you should be as a Christian.

And being Biblically ignorant, makes you "fair game" for cults and deceivers.

The solution is simple - get your bible and prayerfully READ IT - a couple of times. I'd recommend the "Living Paraphrase" for the first time through, since it reads easy and fast, and will give you a good exposure to the WHOLE "Word".

WHen you get a "Feel" for what it's teaching both in the "Letter" and the Spirit", then seeing through groups like the one you're tangled up with gets REALLY EASY.

OH did I mention that right NOW you should RUN AWAY!!!! - and don't look back!!!

I think it's fair to say that there are those who teach the apostolic 'faith once delivered to the saints' (Jude).

This is not the same as saying there are actual apostles, though.

Depends on your "Definition" of "Apostle"

IF your definition is "one who met Jesus during his physical life on earth" then Paul isn't an "apostle" either (as many believed at the time), and there haven't been any since Jesus ascended.

But since the "Office" of an "Apostle" is mentioned in the 5-fold ministries, then it's reasonable to believe that there STILL are "Apostles" today, and always have been.

Back