Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions about the bible.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Curious

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?

Thanks daninthelionsden, I guess you would classify me a person who does not know if there is a god or god's. When reading through the New Testament I did ask God the Father of Christ to confirm that this was indeed his book, and to be honest, nothing happened. I have no issues with Christians (though I did see some fringe stuff on the net such as the Westboro baptist church that made my skin crawl), but I have not met anyone on this forum like that, thank goodness. When I was at school (many years ago) I struck up a good friendship with guy from a Christian home. I will not name him just in case someone from his family reads this. He was probably one of the kindest people I have ever known. I was new to the school and was subject to a bit of bullying and he took me under his wing and looked out for me. Just after he turned sixteen he changed from a happy, outgoing guy to a very withdrawn, unhappy young man. We were sitting having lunch one day and I asked him what was wrong. He told me that he believed there was something seriously wrong with him and that God must hate him. I didn't believe in God, but reassured him that if God did exist he couldn't help but love him. He just clammed up after that and wouldn't answer any more questions. About a month later we were out camping, and just after we had a meal he burst into tears. I didn't know what to do, so just put my hand on his shoulder. He told me that there was something wrong with him as no matter how hard he tried he just wasn't attracted to girls. I told him not to worry, that it would just be a matter of time. It was very embarrassing for both of us, He then told me that he was physically attracted to boys of his own age, and no matter how hard he tried to fight it, it just wouldn't go away. I was a bit shocked, and didn't know what to say. He then took his Bible out and showed me some passages that stated God hated homosexuals. I told him just to ignore those bits, he said he loved God and didn't want to displease him and was terrified of going to hell. He had been praying and fasting, pleading with God to change him. I wish I had been more supportive, I just didn't know what to do and just carried on as if nothing had happened. He seemed to come right and we spent the rest of the weekend shooting rabbits and catching fish. Two weeks later his parents found him hanging in their garden shed. I will never forget him, and could never bring myself to support the book that killed him.
You blame the book, but there's plenty of people who live with homosexuality and also with the book. It's more complicated than that because it is spiritual. It also depends on how he has been raised.

A very good human being is dead. His family are Baptists. The Bible is very clear on the subject.
  • You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.
  • If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God

We know that the law is good when used correctly. For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders. The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God.[32][33]

A very good human being is dead. His family are Baptists. The Bible is very clear on the subject.
  • If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality, or are thieves, or greedy people, or drunkards, or are abusive, or cheat people—none of these will inherit the Kingdom of God. Some of you were once like that. But you were cleansed; you were made holy; you were made right with God by calling on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God

We know that the law is good when used correctly. For the law was not intended for people who do what is right. It is for people who are lawless and rebellious, who are ungodly and sinful, who consider nothing sacred and defile what is holy, who kill their father or mother or commit other murders. The law is for people who are sexually immoral, or who practice homosexuality, or are slave traders, liars, promise breakers, or who do anything else that contradicts the wholesome teaching that comes from the glorious Good News entrusted to me by our blessed God.[32][33]
As a survivor of sexual/physical/emotional/psychological abuse and a survivor of a suicide attempt, I can relate to your story. I have every reason to blame God and did. I hated Him and thought I was placed on this earth to be mocked/humiliated/abused by Him AND Satan.
There is another short story by CS Lewis about a lion and a little girl next to a river where the girl is so thirsty for a drink and asks the lion to please let her drink of the everlasting river of life. It is a good read.
I found I had no choice but to deal with this "God" fellow. He just wouldn't go away like I assumed He would if I just treated Him like Santa Claus and wished Him away. He was/is after my heart and He won. I have known a few people with intense anger/judgment against God. I was one of them. You nor anyone else knows where your friend wound up. Judgment is God's and God's alone. But, one thing is for sure, if you don't throw your anger down and drop to your knees before the Lord, you won't see your friend again if he is in the Kingdom. Our hate/anger/judgment separates us from God.
The Word says "None can come to Christ without being called by the Father." You are here because a nagging call is being heard by you. You will have to go through Christ to answer that call. It won't go away. You can ignore it. You can deny it. You can judge it. You can justify your reasons and yet He still calls to YOU. Quit running. Come to terms with the one who knows your friend better than you did and even better than your friend knew himself. The OVER RIDING attribute of God is LOVE.
This life is short/fragile. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. He will accept you right where you are and walk with you right out of darkness and into His light.
I pray the Lord reaches into your heart and melts away all resistance with His overpowering love.

First of all, I really don't think I can say anything that would possibly melt your heart in context of the matters that you bring. So I am sorry, eternally too, that all I can do is respond as one person you have never met before, over the internet. I wish that was all I had to say, because anything further is too much on top of the tragedy of your childhood friend. I'm really quite uncomfortable with speaking so casually of his memory. But, for your sake and for anyone else who may be touched by your words, the question that needs to be asked is why would a person have been driven to suicide by the words you have shown me? Many people who are homosexual can read those same words and not be driven to suicide by them. That is why I said that it is more complicated than only blaming the book. It's the meaning inferred from the writing, and the thought of what the outcome might be. Suicide is normally motivated by depression, an inescapable despair or something of that nature where the prospect of death seems more appealing than the life ahead.

So it's because of the spirit that he has known God to be, that he has not understood what love would do. I think you know as well as I do that what you did in those last few days is exactly what love would do: love tries to save the one who is lost, by leading them to be at peace in the knowledge that God loves them. I am sorry that you didn't have much of a handle on the bible at the time, and I know that hearing the words "sorry" only makes things worse... What can words possibly do for you anyway when you've lost your mate as a result of words? It's more than words you know. It's about the spirit. Obviously there is not much of the spirit of God at work in those churches because they are so focussed on trying to get their own salvation, and that in itself is a sort of reprieve from the feeling that they aren't good enough for God no matter what they do. There's a lot that the bible tells us about the reasons for that, because it's a human problem that is fundamentally rooted in sin. If you remember everything that you have read then you would remember what Jesus said: "the letter kills but the spirit gives life". That's why I have said that it is spiritual.

Not many go the narrow and difficult way that leads to life, many go by the broad road instead, and that's why there is lots of hard hearted judmentalism in churches but not much of the real healing love that the bible tells us about. That's what killed your friend: he didn't have anyone there for him to do the work of salvation that Jesus would do through them. Instead he was surrounded by people who used the writings of the bible to make him feel as though he will never be good enough for God, and that God hates him because of who he is by nature. That's why you don't believe what the bible says. It's because you don't see evidence of it's claims, and because you (fairly) expect to see the proper character of Christianity in the people who claim to be Christian but instead you see hypocrisy. Judmentalism and injustice instead of love and healing.

Last edited:
I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?
After reading everyone's replies to your OP within me I see only one answer to your question and the answer is "no", you do not need to believe the creation story in order to become a Christian.

When you read the book of John, which I recommend anyone who is questioning, you will learn what it takes to become a Christian by that of the Spiritual rebirth and the indwelling of the Holy Spirit taught in John Chapter 3 and also Acts Chapter 1 and 2. When we repent of our sin and make confession with our mouth believing in our heart that Jesus is the Son of God who is our Lord and Savior, Romans 10:9-10, then we become a child of God who inherits the kingdom of God as we reign with Him hereon earth.

From that point on when we pray and allow the Holy Spirit teach us those things that are literal, Spiritual and symbolic then we begin to understand that from Genesis to Revelation. The carnal mind searches for logical understanding, but can not perceive the things of the Spirit for they are foolish to them, 1 Corinthians 2:6-16.

Even after I became a Christian I use to read the Bible like any other book, but really not understanding much, especially in the OT, until I started praying and asking the Holy Spirit teach me. That was over forty years ago and even today at 66 years of age I have a hard time believing certain things that are written, but accept all of Gods word as truth.

It's all about having a personal relationship with Christ first and foremost as we sit and talk with Him getting to know our Lord and Savior and our relationship to Him as we read about who He is. Understanding scripture will come in time, but it's us establishing our fellowship with the Lord that is more important.

2Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
2Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.

After reading everyone's replies to your OP within me I see only one answer to your question and the answer is "no", you do not need to believe the creation story in order to become a Christian.
Agreed.
One is saved by FAITH ALONE (some believe you must have works also). Faith is objective and subjective. The Bible is God's revelation and is objective. There comes a point when lack of belief/faith in the truth of the bible would make it impossible to be a Christian. Some facets of biblical truth being more important to the content of saving faith than others. The exact content of knowledge which is a part of saving faith is subjective.

Faith is trust in the grace of God and not calculable. The content of faith is not reducible to an arithmetic addition of articles. All believers, in principle, share the same knowledge and trust in the grace of God to save. Herman Bavinck – Reformed Dogmatics

The carnal mind searches for logical understanding, but can not perceive the things of the Spirit for they are foolish to them, 1 Corinthians 2:6-16.
Agreed.
(1) Some think one can overcome what God describes as the Foolishness of salvation by saving faith via their own resources in which case it is of extreme importance that the person that guides you knows the pathway to becoming a Christian and can convince you. The description of the pathway will vary according to the guide you chose. So will the power to convince.
(2) Others feels God must cause them to overcome what God describes as the Foolishness of salvation by saving faith.
(1) Good luck or (2) immutable predestination.

As a survivor of sexual/physical/emotional/psychological abuse and a survivor of a suicide attempt, I can relate to your story. I have every reason to blame God and did. I hated Him and thought I was placed on this earth to be mocked/humiliated/abused by Him AND Satan.
There is another short story by CS Lewis about a lion and a little girl next to a river where the girl is so thirsty for a drink and asks the lion to please let her drink of the everlasting river of life. It is a good read.
I found I had no choice but to deal with this "God" fellow. He just wouldn't go away like I assumed He would if I just treated Him like Santa Claus and wished Him away. He was/is after my heart and He won. I have known a few people with intense anger/judgment against God. I was one of them. You nor anyone else knows where your friend wound up. Judgment is God's and God's alone. But, one thing is for sure, if you don't throw your anger down and drop to your knees before the Lord, you won't see your friend again if he is in the Kingdom. Our hate/anger/judgment separates us from God.
The Word says "None can come to Christ without being called by the Father." You are here because a nagging call is being heard by you. You will have to go through Christ to answer that call. It won't go away. You can ignore it. You can deny it. You can judge it. You can justify your reasons and yet He still calls to YOU. Quit running. Come to terms with the one who knows your friend better than you did and even better than your friend knew himself. The OVER RIDING attribute of God is LOVE.
This life is short/fragile. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. He will accept you right where you are and walk with you right out of darkness and into His light.
I pray the Lord reaches into your heart and melts away all resistance with His overpowering love.
You sound like a good person to me. And my question is would you be any less caring if you were not a Christian? My friend was kind because he was kind. I have no anger with God as I am not convinced of his existence. If an all-powerful benevolent, loving God existed, he would have reached out to my friend and yourself when you were going through the terrible mental turmoil of sexual/physical/emotional, and psychological abuse. If I knew my next-door neighbor's child was being sexually abused and did nothing about it, I would be a monster. The God of the Bible knows all things. My friend was tormented because of what the Bible said about his sexuality. He was a very kind and loving person who was tormented by the way he was wired. I have never been attracted by people of my own gender, does that make me a better person than him? Clearly, the answer is no. Why then does the Bible condemn people for being gay? You are not obliged to answer any of these questions, and I am glad you have found a place of peace. The world needs more kind people like yourself, not less. I have called out to the God of the Bible many times, and if He exists he has never responded in a way that I know it is Him. But that is just my experience. We live in the country and a gay couple just recently moved onto the neighboring property. Their care and love for one another is very apparent and has made me want to be a better husband. What could be wrong with that? Anyway, thank you for being so open and caring, And even though I don't accept the Bible, I know that you do and are reaching out to a complete stranger because you care.

You sound like a good person to me. And my question is would you be any less caring if you were not a Christian? My friend was kind because he was kind. I have no anger with God as I am not convinced of his existence. If an all-powerful benevolent, loving God existed, he would have reached out to my friend and yourself when you were going through the terrible mental turmoil of sexual/physical/emotional, and psychological abuse. If I knew my next-door neighbor's child was being sexually abused and did nothing about it, I would be a monster. The God of the Bible knows all things. My friend was tormented because of what the Bible said about his sexuality. He was a very kind and loving person who was tormented by the way he was wired. I have never been attracted by people of my own gender, does that make me a better person than him? Clearly, the answer is no. Why then does the Bible condemn people for being gay? You are not obliged to answer any of these questions, and I am glad you have found a place of peace. The world needs more kind people like yourself, not less. I have called out to the God of the Bible many times, and if He exists he has never responded in a way that I know it is Him. But that is just my experience. We live in the country and a gay couple just recently moved onto the neighboring property. Their care and love for one another is very apparent and has made me want to be a better husband. What could be wrong with that? Anyway, thank you for being so open and caring, And even though I don't accept the Bible, I know that you do and are reaching out to a complete stranger because you care.
We bought a pop-up rv trailer from a young man several years ago. He offered a good price and said he had a good title. He was charming, respectful, successful etc. I told my wife I was impressed by him and thought that was who I could've been had I not been gutted as a child. We found out later that the title was a joint title and was not clean. He sold us "his" half of the trailer without telling us his girlfriend was on the title as well. We had to contact her to get her to sign over the title on her part. She signed it without any compensation. She was so glad to get him out of her and her son's life, she didn't care about getting her half of the money. I then realized I might've become someone like that if I hadn't had empathy driven into me. We just don't know why some die so young and why some seem to get away with murder.
God says His ways are not our ways. I just accept that I am living on borrowed time and I wish to spend eternity with the One Who made me. He says all will be made known when this life is over. He saved me so many times from the evil intended for me by others. My life had attempts made on it by my own mother and step father. Though I lived(survived) a horrible childhood, I have to think there must be a purpose to it all.
Having been molested by homosexual pedophile priests, I used to hate homosexuals. After realizing I had witnessed so much molestation and how many homosexuals are/were victims of abuse as children....I no longer hate them. I do not condone homosexuality, but I know those who oppress them are, many times barking up the wrong tree. Pedophilia is the culprit behind homosexuality and that is what needs to be addressed. Your friend may have been dealing with more than you know.

his parents found him hanging in their garden shed. I will never forget him, and could never bring myself to support the book that killed him.
That's rough. My friend's 18-year-old son did the same thing.

I have often wondered what Jesus would have said to a gay couple about their lifestyle. It's amazing to me that Jesus never spoke explicitly about homosexuality.

I'm confident that biology/genetics is at play with some people and that they are naturally drawn to members of the same sex. I'm also confident that gay people will be cured of their afflictions and be granted entry into Heaven just like I hope and believe that I will be cured of my alcoholism and welcomed into Heaven.

If an all-powerful benevolent, loving God existed, he would have reached out to my friend and yourself when you were going through the terrible mental turmoil of sexual/physical/emotional, and psychological abuse.
God permitted his sinless son to be brutalized and suffer an extraordinarily painful and torturous death right in front of a large crowd, including his mother. Everyone on Earth, to one degree or another, suffers here on Earth. Perhaps in the hereafter, we will learn that suffering was necessary in order to learn. It's sort of like when I told my (then) young son to put shoes on before playing in our Florida backyard so that he doesn't get bit by ants. I got on him a couple of times. One day he went out and I didn't say anything. A short time later he came running in, crying, and saying he'd been "stung". Well duh! He stepped into a pile of fire ants. He suffered a bit but the ants taught him better than I did and he didn't make that mistake again. We live, we experience, we learn.

We bought a pop-up rv trailer from a young man several years ago. He offered a good price and said he had a good title. He was charming, respectful, successful etc. I told my wife I was impressed by him and thought that was who I could've been had I not been gutted as a child. We found out later that the title was a joint title and was not clean. He sold us "his" half of the trailer without telling us his girlfriend was on the title as well. We had to contact her to get her to sign over the title on her part. She signed it without any compensation. She was so glad to get him out of her and her son's life, she didn't care about getting her half of the money. I then realized I might've become someone like that if I hadn't had empathy driven into me. We just don't know why some die so young and why some seem to get away with murder.
God says His ways are not our ways. I just accept that I am living on borrowed time and I wish to spend eternity with the One Who made me. He says all will be made known when this life is over. He saved me so many times from the evil intended for me by others. My life had attempts made on it by my own mother and step father. Though I lived(survived) a horrible childhood, I have to think there must be a purpose to it all.
Having been molested by homosexual pedophile priests, I used to hate homosexuals. After realizing I had witnessed so much molestation and how many homosexuals are/were victims of abuse as children....I no longer hate them. I do not condone homosexuality, but I know those who oppress them are, many times barking up the wrong tree. Pedophilia is the culprit behind homosexuality and that is what needs to be addressed. Your friend may have been dealing with more than you know.
You are much better than that man, and that is a choice you have made. I think, rightly or wrongly, that many people are drawn to Christianity because they are good people, who long for a better world. Again, that is just my opinion. A loving, sexual relationship between two people is a loving, sexual relationship between two people. The rape of a child, or anyone, is a terrible thing. I think you should pat yourself on the back for being the person you are despite the evil that has been inflicted upon you. You are probably a Christian because you are a good person, not because you are evil. There are evil homosexuals, just as there are evil heterosexuals, and pedophilia is always wrong. I have two sons who I love deeply. I would never threaten them with punishment if they didn't love me back. The story of Abraham and Issac really upset me. As a child, I was rejected by my mother, and still am to this day. But I am very glad she didn't try and kill me to please someone else. I was once witnessed too by a Christian when I was shopping in town. He asked me if I had ever told a lie, and I was straight up and told him that I had. I asked if it was ever right to lie, and he said no. I asked if he would still have the same view if he lived in Nazi Germany and the Gestapo asked him if he was hiding any Jewish people in his home (when he was) He gave me an honest answer and said he would lie. This man was a decent human being. I was interested in talking with him some more. Another Christian pounced on him and said it was always wrong to lie. To qualify his statement he said even if he was hiding his Jewish wife and children and was asked by the Gestapo if they were in his house, that he would trust God and say yes. I would rather go to hell (if it exists) than betray the lives of people I love. My friend never had a sexual relationship, we talked about this. He just wanted to be a person that loved God and whom God loved. The Bible made that impossible. I didn't help him, nor did a loving God. Anyway, enough said. If you have found your path in life and it encourages you to be kind to all people (except those who are haters of decency) then stay on it. But please don't make good people feel bad, a happy day is a day to be treasured. ANd good on you for not being like the man who sold you the rv-trailer.

That's rough. My friend's 18-year-old son did the same thing.

I have often wondered what Jesus would have said to a gay couple about their lifestyle. It's amazing to me that Jesus never spoke explicitly about homosexuality.

I'm confident that biology/genetics is at play with some people and that they are naturally drawn to members of the same sex. I'm also confident that gay people will be cured of their afflictions and be granted entry into Heaven just like I hope and believe that I will be cured of my alcoholism and welcomed into Heaven.
I agree that biology/genetics is at play. I have never been attracted to my own sex. Why? because of the way I am wired. I work out in nature and often see homosexual acts amongst animals. Are they evil? Just because we find it difficult to understand homosexuality doesn't make it wrong. Our two new gay friends from next door are two very kindest people. I find their expression of affection for one another challenging, not because of them, but because of me. We have a few rednecks where we live, and they have said terrible things about them, even though they have never met them. My dad was an alcoholic and died at 61. I m not an alcoholic - but that does not make me a better person than him. I just wish he hadn't been because I loved his company when he wasn't drinking and would love nothing better than for my children to have grown up knowing their grandad. I miss him every single day.

My mother and I used to visit her dementia-afflicted mother in a nursing home. Grandma always asked how her sister was doing. My mother would tell her "She died years ago" to which my grandmother would have a look of shock and horror on her face. I implored my mother to tell my grandmother that her sister was alive and well. Why make her suffer her sister's death countless times? Yea, sometimes, it's ok to tell an untruth.

Curious I find that the two most intolerant segments of American society are the political left and the religious right. They are pretty much opposite sides of the same coin.

If engaging in homosexual sex is a sin, then it must be a couple of notches less sinful than, let's say, theft. Why? Theft harms an innocent person; homosexual sex does not.

Curious I find that the two most intolerant segments of American society are the political left and the religious right. They are pretty much opposite sides of the same coin.

If engaging in homosexual sex is a sin, then it must be a couple of notches less sinful than, let's say, theft. Why? Theft harms an innocent person; homosexual sex does not.
Well said. I am enjoying this conversation.

My mother and I used to visit her dementia-afflicted mother in a nursing home. Grandma always asked how her sister was doing. My mother would tell her "She died years ago" to which my grandmother would have a look of shock and horror on her face. I implored my mother to tell my grandmother that her sister was alive and well. Why make her suffer her sister's death countless times? Yea, sometimes, it's ok to tell an untruth.
It sure is. :)

If an all-powerful benevolent, loving God existed, he would have reached out to my friend and yourself when you were going through the terrible mental turmoil of sexual/physical/emotional, and psychological abuse.
In this statement it would appear that you have decided what God would do in this situation. Is it right for you to form God into your likeness?

In this statement it would appear that you have decided what God would do in this situation. Is it right for you to form God into your likeness?
Agreed.
Those that ask of the cause of God’s will demand something that is greater than the will of God, but none such thing can be found. Augustine

Back