Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

The term "Godhead."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CherubRam

Judaic Christian
The term "Godhead" is an English variant of the word "godhood" and was first introduced by John Wycliffe (1330-1384 C.E.) in English Bible versions as godhede.

The word "Godhead" is a translation of three different Greek words, theion (meaning "divinity, deity", # 2304 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Acts 17:29, and theiotēs (meaning "divinity, divine nature", # 2305 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Romans 1:20, and theotēs (meaning "deity", # 2320 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Colossians 2:9.

To translate three different Greek words as one word is deviously incorrect. This is not unlike having three different names for one street on a map (with the real name hidden), so that when a person used it, he wound up lost. Likewise of those who read Bibles with "Godhead" in it, thereby misleading a person that the trinity is "real".

Hence, the need for an accurate Bible, one that renders the Hebrew and Greek words and phrases with a high degree of precision, just as a map that can be counted on to provide exact information. Unfortunately, many Bibles follow the lead of the King James Bible, or is otherwise biased, because the trinity, along with a host of other religious teachings that are not true, that has such a strangle hold on so many.

The term "Godhead" is an English variant of the word "godhood" and was first introduced by John Wycliffe (1330-1384 C.E.) in English Bible versions as godhede.

The word "Godhead" is a translation of three different Greek words, theion (meaning "divinity, deity", # 2304 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Acts 17:29, and theiotēs (meaning "divinity, divine nature", # 2305 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Romans 1:20, and theotēs (meaning "deity", # 2320 in Thayer's Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) at Colossians 2:9.
Funny how we are told to beware not being spoiled by vain deceit.

But we are complete in Christ, as in Christ dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

But Christ has the fulness of God. ( which stops us being deceived by the cunning craftiness and sleight of men who lie in wait to deceive.) the love of Christ is us being filled with the fulness of Christ. ( the unity of the faith not the division men teach now on this forum.)

Letting no man beguile us, as the body is of Christ.

We hold the head, ( Christ is the head and in Christ dwells the fulness of God, the Godhead bodily.) from which the body is nourished, knit together and increases with the increase of God.

Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

To translate three different Greek words as one word is deviously incorrect. This is not unlike having three different names for one street on a map (with the real name hidden), so that when a person used it, he wound up lost. Likewise of those who read Bibles with "Godhead" in it, thereby misleading a person that the trinity is "real".

Hence, the need for an accurate Bible, one that renders the Hebrew and Greek words and phrases with a high degree of precision, just as a map that can be counted on to provide exact information. Unfortunately, many Bibles follow the lead of the King James Bible, or is otherwise biased, because the trinity, along with a host of other religious teachings that are not true, that has such a strangle hold on so many.
When it’s said that “In him dwells the fullness of deity”
It does not mean in him dwells the second person of a Trinity.

It simply means that we are complete in him because he sets free all those who are in bondage to either the law or the ways of the world.

When it’s said that “In him dwells the fullness of deity”
It does not mean in him dwells the second person of a Trinity.

It simply means that we are complete in him because he sets free all those who are in bondage to either the law or the ways of the world.
Hey All,
Who is the "him" that, "In him dwells the fullness of deity” Levir?

Colossians 2:8-10 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Paul is talking about Jesus.
Jesus is God in human form.
That is what John tells us in chapter 1 of his gospel.
That is what Paul is saying here.

The term "trinity" is just a convenient way of saying God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Paul uses Godhead.
Over time, the word "trinity" started being used instead of Godhead.

"A rose by any name would smell as sweet" to quote Shakespeare.

What I find is that those who are opposed to the word "trinity" are also usually opposed to Jesus being God in human flesh.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Funny how we are told to beware not being spoiled by vain deceit.

But we are complete in Christ, as in Christ dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

But Christ has the fulness of God. ( which stops us being deceived by the cunning craftiness and sleight of men who lie in wait to deceive.) the love of Christ is us being filled with the fulness of Christ. ( the unity of the faith not the division men teach now on this forum.)

Letting no man beguile us, as the body is of Christ.

We hold the head, ( Christ is the head and in Christ dwells the fulness of God, the Godhead bodily.) from which the body is nourished, knit together and increases with the increase of God.

Ephesians 3:19 And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God.

Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Colossians 2:17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
18 Let no man beguile you of your reward in a voluntary humility and worshipping of angels, intruding into those things which he hath not seen, vainly puffed up by his fleshly mind,
19 And not holding the Head, from which all the body by joints and bands having nourishment ministered, and knit together, increaseth with the increase of God.

KJV
Acts 17:29
Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device.

Romans 1:20
For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

Colossians 2:9

NIV
Acts 17:29
“Therefore since we are God’s offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by human design and skill.

Romans 1:20
For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

Colossians 2:9
For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

Hey All,
Who is the "him" that, "In him dwells the fullness of deity” Levir?

Colossians 2:8-10 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.
And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power:

Paul is talking about Jesus.
Jesus is God in human form.
That is what John tells us in chapter 1 of his gospel.
That is what Paul is saying here.

The term "trinity" is just a convenient way of saying God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit.
Paul uses Godhead.
Over time, the word "trinity" started being used instead of Godhead.

"A rose by any name would smell as sweet" to quote Shakespeare.

What I find is that those who are opposed to the word "trinity" are also usually opposed to Jesus being God in human flesh.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Yahshua says that Yahwah is the only true God.

• Isaiah 65:16
    Whoever invokes a blessing in the land will do so by the one true God; whoever takes an oath in the land will swear by the one true God. For the past troubles will be forgotten and hidden from my eyes.

• Jeremiah 10:10
    But (the Lord / Yahwah) is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath.

• John 17:3
    Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Yahwah says that He is the First and the Last. Besides Him there is no other.

Exodus 20:3. "You shall have no other gods (Elohiyms) before me.

Deuteronomy 4:35. You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD (Yahwah) is God (Elohiym); besides Him there is no other.

Deuteronomy 4:39. Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD (Yahwah) is God (Elohiym) in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Deuteronomy 5:7.
"You shall have no other gods (Elohiyms) before me.

Deuteronomy 6:4. Hear, O Israel: The Lord (Yahwah) our God (Elohiym), the LORD (Yahwah) is one (only.)

1 Kings 8:60. So that all the peoples of the earth may know that the LORD (Yahwah) is God (Elohiym) and that there is no other.

Isaiah 42:8. "I am the LORD (Yahwah); that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.

Isaiah 43:10. "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD (Yahwah), "and my servant (Yahshua) whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He. Before me no god (el) was formed, nor will there be one after me.

Isaiah 44:8. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God (Eloah=Gods above) besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."

Isaiah 45:5. I am the LORD (Yahwah), and there is no other; apart from me there is no God (Elohiym).

so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD (Yahwah), and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:14. This is what the LORD (Yahwah) says: "The products of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush, and those tall Sabeans— they will come over to you and will be yours; they will trudge behind you, coming over to you in chains. They will bow down before you and plead with you, saying, 'Surely God (El) is with you, and there is no other; there is no other god (Elohiym).' "

Isaiah 45:18. For this is what the LORD (Yahwah) says: He who created the heavens, He is God (Elohiym); He who fashioned and made the earth, He founded it; He did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited: He says: "I am the LORD (Yahwah), and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:22. "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God (El), and there is no other.

Isaiah 46:9.
Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God (El), and there is no other; I am God (Elohiym), and there is none like me.

Joel 2:27. Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the LORD (Yahwah) your God (Elohiym), and that there is no other; never again will my people be shamed.

Yahwah is God and he won't give his glory to another god.

The Greatest Commandment

Mark 12:28. One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus (Yahshua) had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

29. "The most important one," answered Jesus (Yahshua), "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord (Yahwah) our God (Elohiym), the Lord (Yahwah) is one (only).

Mark 12:32. "Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God (Yahwah) is one (only) and there is no other but Him.

John 14:28. "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you love me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.

In the fourth century the Catholics introduced the title "Holy Spirit" as being a third person.

In the Christian Greek Scriptures, certain words derived from theos
(god) appear and relate to that which is divine. The related words theios, theiotes, and theotes occur at Acts 17:29, Romans 1:20, Colossians 2:9, and 2 Peter 1:3, 4.
At Acts 17:29, Paul, when in Athens, showed that it is illogical for humans to imagine that “the Divine Being [to theion, form of theios] is like gold or silver or stone.” Many translators here use terms such as “the Godhead,” “the Deity,” or “the divinity” while E. J. Goodspeed’s translation says “the divine nature.” According to The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia, the expression to theion “is derived from the adjective theios, meaning ‘pertaining to God,’ ‘divine.’” (Edited by G. Bromiley, 1979, Vol. 1, p. 913) Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon gives as the meaning “the Divinity.” (Revised by H. Jones, Oxford, 1968, pp. 787, 788) So the phrase "to theion" can be understood to refer to a person or to a quality. Obviously, then, the context must guide the translator in his choice of words. Here at Acts 17:29, the context clearly shows that the person of God is being described, and so the expression is appropriately rendered “Divine Being” in the New World Translation.

At Romans 1:20 the apostle refers to the undeniable visible evidence of God’s “invisible qualities,” particularly his “eternal power and Godship [Theiotes].” Other translations read “Godhead” or “deity," conveying to many the idea of personality, the state of being a person. However, according to Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon, the Greek word theiotes means “divine nature, divinity.” (P. 788) So there is a basis for rendering theiotes as referring to the quality of being a god, not the person of God, and this is supported by the context. The apostle is discussing things that are discernible in the physical creation. For example, while the creation does not reveal the name of God, it does give evidence of his “eternal power”—needed to create and sustain the universe. The physical creation also displays his “Godship,” the fact that the Creator truly is God and is worthy of our worship.

Then, at Colossians 2:9 the apostle Paul says that in Christ “all the fullness of the divine quality [form of theotes] dwells bodily.” Here, again, some translations read “Godhead” or “deity,” which Trinitarians interpret to mean that God personally dwells in Christ. However, Liddell and Scott’s Greek-English Lexicon defines theotes in basically the same way it does theiotes, as meaning “divinity, divine nature.” (P. 792) The Syriac Peshitta and the Latin Vulgate render this word as “divinity.” Thus, here too, there is a solid basis for rendering theotes as referring to quality, not personality.

A consideration of the context of Colossians 2:9 clearly shows that having “divinity,” or “divine nature,” does not make Christ the same as God the Almighty. In the preceding chapter, Paul says: “God saw good for all fullness to dwell in him.” (Colossians 1:19) So, all fullness dwells in Christ because it “pleased the Father," because it was “by God’s own choice.” So the fullness of “divinity” that dwells in Christ is his as a result of a decision made by the Father. Further showing that having such “fullness” does not make Christ the same person as Almighty God is the fact that Paul later speaks of Christ as being “seated at the right hand of God.”(Colossians 3:1)

Considering the immediate context of Colossians 2:9, it is noted that in verse 8, Christians are warned against being misled by those who advocate philosophy and human tradition. They are also told that “carefully concealed in [Christ] are all the treasures of wisdom and of knowledge,” and they are urged to “go on walking in union with him, rooted and being built up in him and being stabilized in the faith.” (Colossians 2:3, 6, 7) In addition, verses 13 to 15 explain that they are made alive through faith, being released from the Law covenant. Paul’s argument, therefore, is that Christians do not need the Law (which was removed by means of Christ) or human philosophy and tradition. They have all they need, a precious “fullness,” in Christ.(Colossians 2:10-12)

Finally, at 2 Peter 1:3, 4 the apostle shows that by virtue of “the precious and very grand promises” extended to faithful anointed Christians, they “may become sharers in divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world through lust.” Elsewhere in the Scriptures, Christians are referred to as ‘sharing’ with Christ in his sufferings, in a death like his, and in a resurrection like his to immortality as spirit creatures, becoming joint heirs with him in the heavenly Kingdom. (1Co 15:50-54; Php 3:10, 11; 1Pe 5:1; 2Pe 1:2-4; Re 20:6) Thus it is evident that the sharing of Christians in “divine nature” is a sharing with Christ in his glory.

Yahshua says that Yahwah is the only true God.

• Isaiah 65:16
    Whoever invokes a blessing in the land will do so by the one true God; whoever takes an oath in the land will swear by the one true God. For the past troubles will be forgotten and hidden from my eyes.

• Jeremiah 10:10
    But (the Lord / Yahwah) is the true God; he is the living God, the eternal King. When he is angry, the earth trembles; the nations cannot endure his wrath.

• John 17:3
    Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.

Yahwah says that He is the First and the Last. Besides Him there is no other.

Exodus 20:3. "You shall have no other gods (Elohiyms) before me.

Deuteronomy 4:35. You were shown these things so that you might know that the LORD (Yahwah) is God (Elohiym); besides Him there is no other.

Deuteronomy 4:39. Acknowledge and take to heart this day that the LORD (Yahwah) is God (Elohiym) in heaven above and on the earth below. There is no other.

Deuteronomy 5:7.
"You shall have no other gods (Elohiyms) before me.

Deuteronomy 6:4. Hear, O Israel: The Lord (Yahwah) our God (Elohiym), the LORD (Yahwah) is one (only.)

1 Kings 8:60. So that all the peoples of the earth may know that the LORD (Yahwah) is God (Elohiym) and that there is no other.

Isaiah 42:8. "I am the LORD (Yahwah); that is my name! I will not give my glory to another or my praise to idols.

Isaiah 43:10. "You are my witnesses," declares the LORD (Yahwah), "and my servant (Yahshua) whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am He. Before me no god (el) was formed, nor will there be one after me.

Isaiah 44:8. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God (Eloah=Gods above) besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."

Isaiah 45:5. I am the LORD (Yahwah), and there is no other; apart from me there is no God (Elohiym).

so that from the rising of the sun to the place of its setting men may know there is none besides me. I am the LORD (Yahwah), and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:14. This is what the LORD (Yahwah) says: "The products of Egypt and the merchandise of Cush, and those tall Sabeans— they will come over to you and will be yours; they will trudge behind you, coming over to you in chains. They will bow down before you and plead with you, saying, 'Surely God (El) is with you, and there is no other; there is no other god (Elohiym).' "

Isaiah 45:18. For this is what the LORD (Yahwah) says: He who created the heavens, He is God (Elohiym); He who fashioned and made the earth, He founded it; He did not create it to be empty, but formed it to be inhabited: He says: "I am the LORD (Yahwah), and there is no other.

Isaiah 45:22. "Turn to me and be saved, all you ends of the earth; for I am God (El), and there is no other.

Isaiah 46:9.
Remember the former things, those of long ago; I am God (El), and there is no other; I am God (Elohiym), and there is none like me.

Joel 2:27. Then you will know that I am in Israel, that I am the LORD (Yahwah) your God (Elohiym), and that there is no other; never again will my people be shamed.

Yahwah is God and he won't give his glory to another god.

The Greatest Commandment

Mark 12:28. One of the teachers of the law came and heard them debating. Noticing that Jesus (Yahshua) had given them a good answer, he asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is the most important?"

29. "The most important one," answered Jesus (Yahshua), "is this: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord (Yahwah) our God (Elohiym), the Lord (Yahwah) is one (only).

Mark 12:32. "Well said, teacher," the man replied. "You are right in saying that God (Yahwah) is one (only) and there is no other but Him.

John 14:28. "You heard me say, 'I am going away and I am coming back to you.' If you love me, you would be glad that I am going to the Father, for the Father is greater than I.
Hey All,
You want to know something interesting?

Revelation 22:12-16 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

You are describing Jesus as John did in Revelation.
So Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, and the first and the last apply to Jesus as well.

The plot thickens! Dun dun dun!!!

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
You want to know something interesting?

Revelation 22:12-16 And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be.
I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.
Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.
For without are dogs, and sorcerers, and whoremongers, and murderers, and idolaters, and whosoever loveth and maketh a lie.
I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star.

You are describing Jesus as John did in Revelation.
So Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, and the first and the last apply to Jesus as well.

The plot thickens! Dun dun dun!!!

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Scriptures were altered for the Pope who is Christ incarnate.
This verse below was added.
Rev 22. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Only Yahwah is the First and the Last.

Rev 22. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

Hey All,
Scripture was not altered.

I copied it word for word.

Revelation 22 shows us Jesus applying these terms, such as, " . . . I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." to Himself.

"This verse below was added.
Rev 22. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Quote from CherubRam

Of course you can prove your accusation, yes?

You know the warning for altering the contents of this book, correct?

Revelation 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

How is that not what you are doing with your accusation?

The truth is undeniable.
Jesus is applying the attributes of God to Himself.

And John, who knew Jesus from the start of His public ministry, has no problem writing these words.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,
Scripture was not altered.

I copied it word for word.

Revelation 22 shows us Jesus applying these terms, such as, " . . . I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." to Himself.

"This verse below was added.
Rev 22. "I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last." Quote from CherubRam

Of course you can prove your accusation, yes?

You know the warning for altering the contents of this book, correct?

Revelation 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

How is that not what you are doing with your accusation?

The truth is undeniable.
Jesus is applying the attributes of God to Himself.

And John, who knew Jesus from the start of His public ministry, has no problem writing these words.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
Jesus is no more referring “I AM Alpha and Omega” to himself any more than he was when he said “before Abraham was I AM”.

No mortal man has ever seen the “I AM”.
Immoral man will seem him.

Mortal man has a sinful nature and therefore would be consumed on the spot is he was to see the face of the “I AM”

Jesus himself could not have ascended to his Father until he had put on the divine nature.

Please provide evidence.

Of course, which is why Jesus is also Yahweh:

Rev 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last,
Rev 1:18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. (ESV)

Rev 2:8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life. (ESV)

Please provide evidence.

Of course, which is why Jesus is also Yahweh:

Rev 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last,
Rev 1:18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades. (ESV)

Rev 2:8 “And to the angel of the church in Smyrna write: ‘The words of the first and the last, who died and came to life. (ESV)
The one who said he was the first and the last is the one who is now alive but who was dead.
He is the one with the keys to death and the grave.
He is the firstborn among many like him. And the last one to create more like him
God never dies.

The one who said he was the first and the last is the one who is now alive but who was dead.
He is the one with the keys to death and the grave.
He is the firstborn among many like him. And the last one to create more like him
God never dies.
None of that addresses the use of titles of Yahweh by Jesus. And, perhaps you've missed all the posts where I have stated that Jesus is truly human and truly God.

None of that addresses the use of titles of Yahweh by Jesus. And, perhaps you've missed all the posts where I have stated that Jesus is truly human and truly God.
Jesus is the firstborn from the dead. This is understood that he is Chief- born from the dead. He is the first Chief and the last.
But the “I Am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end”
Refers to His God and Father.

Jesus is the firstborn from the dead. This is understood that he is Chief- born from the dead. He is the first Chief and the last.
But the “I Am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end”
Refers to His God and Father.
Hey All,

"But the “I Am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end”
Refers to His God and Father." Quote from LeviR

You cannot read into it what you want it to say.
John records this as Jesus speaking.

Jesus said, "I am . . . " these attributes.

You can accept or deny what Jesus said.
But you cannot change Who said it.

And by the way, Jesus is not "born of the dead.

John 2:18-21 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
But he spake of the temple of his body.

Jesus raised Himself from the dead - meaning He has power over life and death.
But only God has this power.
Exactly.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz

Hey All,

"But the “I Am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end”
Refers to His God and Father." Quote from LeviR

You cannot read into it what you want it to say.
John records this as Jesus speaking.

Jesus said, "I am . . . " these attributes.

You can accept or deny what Jesus said.
But you cannot change Who said it.

And by the way, Jesus is not "born of the dead.

John 2:18-21 Then answered the Jews and said unto him, What sign shewest thou unto us, seeing that thou doest these things?
Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
But he spake of the temple of his body.

Jesus raised Himself from the dead - meaning He has power over life and death.
But only God has this power.
Exactly.

Keep walking everybody.
May God bless,
Taz
thanks.

Like you, I have long been unhappy with ‘Godhead’—I may have used it in the dim past. Would you allow Godhood, or perhaps Godness?

Unlike you, I am a committed trinitarian.

None of these texts are simply what we generally translate as God/deity.

Ac.17:29 might reflect the Athenians’ talk. After all, Luke recorded Jesus as a demon/δαιμονιον (v18), I presume their choice of word, not his. Even so, I’d prefer something like ‘divine being’ (NIV).

Rm.1:20 is inhouse to a Christian audience. I wonder here whether ‘divinity’ rather than ‘deity’ would be the wise translation, although deityness might have the same equivalence. The Latins did differentiate between lower divus and higher deus. Leon Morris (Epistle to the Romans, 1988:82), cited Sanday/Headlam in suggesting ‘divine nature’ contrasted to ‘divine personality’ for Col.2:9: I’m not convinced about using ‘divinity’ in Col.

Col.2:9. N T Wright also held the divinity/deity distinction (Colossians and Philemon (TNTC), 1986:103), and argued a distinction between Rm. & Col. He made the point—though in what I call standard Christian polytheism—that the man Jesus Christ is not in some sense divine, but was/is uniquely “God’s presence and his very self”, yet in line with societal monotheism, not a second/different deity. I’d say that he was/is the permanent temporal mode of the eternal uncreated second person of deity, would highlight his humanity, and speak of his deificity. The data is unsystematic.

I confess that I have not made too reasoned a response, but merely stabs in the dark agreeing with you that Godhead is unsuitable and, as you say, somewhat misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back