Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Water Baptism.

Heavens to Betsy! Not KATH-lick!!!! :shock :thud

Since modern churches can't agree on what to believe, I choose to base my belief and understanding on the universal teaching of the ancient church rather than the modern innovators with their "new and improved" winds of doctrine.

That's a good example of a modern innovation. The ancient church never taught that the bread and wine was a "symbol" of the body and blood. They all taught that it actually IS the Lord's body and blood. It wasn't until Zwingli, in the 16th century that a "symbolic" understanding of the Eucharist was seriously espoused.

See:

Ignatius of Antioch (30-107 A. D. A disciple of the apostle John and Bishop of Antioch) in his Epistle to the Smyrnaens, Ch. VII: “Let Us Stand Aloof from Such Heretics” states; “They (the heretics) abstain from the Eucharist and from prayer, because they confess not the Eucharist to be the flesh of our Saviour Jesus Christ, which suffered for our sins,..”

He was taught by the John, the beloved disciple of Christ and, in this statement, he affirms the teaching of the apostles and Christ that the bread is Christ’s body.

Justin Martyr, the church’s first apologist, wrote in the first half of the 2nd century in his “The First Apology of Justin”, in Chapter LXVI.—Of the Eucharist. In it he reports what he was taught as a new Christian by the church. That would mean that the teaching he received was already established in the church. It is not some later innovation by the Roman church but was a part of the teaching of the apostles who taught what they learned from Jesus. It is God’s inspired teaching to the church by His Son, through the apostles to the church.

And here it is:

“And this food is called among us Eujcaristiva [the Eucharist], of which no one is allowed to partake but the man who believes that the things which we teach are true, and who has been washed with the washing that is for the remission of sins, and unto regeneration, and who is so living as Christ has enjoined. For not as common bread and common drink do we receive these; but in like manner as Jesus Christ our Saviour, having been made flesh by the Word of God, had both flesh and blood for our salvation, so likewise have we been taught that the food which is blessed by the prayer of His word, and from which our blood and flesh by transmutation are nourished, is the flesh and blood of that Jesus who was made flesh. For the apostles, in the memoirs composed by them, which are called Gospels, have thus delivered unto us what was enjoined upon them; that Jesus took bread, and when He had given thanks, said, “This do ye in remembrance of Me, this is My body; ”and that, after the same manner, having taken the cup and given thanks, He said, “This is My blood; ”and gave it to them alone.”

Further early references:

IRENAEUS, Against Heresies (175-185 AD)

Book IV; Chapter XVIII.—Concerning Sacrifices and Oblations, and Those Who Truly Offer Them.

4…………..But how can they be consistent with themselves, [when they say] that the bread over which thanks have been given is the body of their Lord, and the cup His blood, if they do not call Himself the Son of the Creator of the world, that is, His Word, through whom the wood fructifies, and the fountains gush forth, and the earth gives “first the blade, then the ear, then the full corn in the ear.”

5. Then, again, how can they say that the flesh, which is nourished with the body of the Lord and with His blood, goes to corruption, and does not partake of life? Let them, therefore, either alter their opinion, or cease from offering the things just mentioned. But our opinion is in accordance with the Eucharist, and the Eucharist in turn establishes our opinion. For we offer to Him His own, announcing consistently the fellowship and union of the flesh and Spirit. For as the bread, which is produced from the earth, when it receives the invocation of God, is no longer common bread, but the Eucharist, consisting of two realities, earthly and heavenly; so also our bodies, when they receive the Eucharist, are no longer corruptible, having the hope of the resurrection to eternity.

Chapter XXXIII.—Whosoever Confesses that One God is the Author of Both Testaments, and Diligently Reads the Scriptures in Company with the Presbyters of the Church, is a True Spiritual Disciple; And He Will Rightly Understand and Interpret All that the Prophets Have Declared Respecting Christ and the Liberty of the New Testament.

2. Moreover, he shall also examine the doctrine of Marcion, [inquiring] how he holds that there are two gods, separated from each other by an infinite distance. Or how can he be good who draws away men that do not belong to him from him who made them, and calls them into his own kingdom? And why is his goodness, which does not save all [thus], defective? Also, why does he, indeed, seem to be good as respects men, but most unjust with regard to him who made men, inasmuch as he deprives him of his possessions? Moreover, how could the Lord, with any justice, if He belonged to another father, have acknowledged the bread to be His body, while He took it from that creation to which we belong, and affirmed the mixed cup to be His blood? And why did He acknowledge Himself to be the Son of man, if He had not gone through that birth which belongs to a human being? How, too, could He forgive us those sins for which we are answerable to our Maker and God? And how, again, supposing that He was not flesh, but was a man merely in appearance, could He have been crucified, and could blood and water have issued from His pierced side? What body, moreover, was it that those who buried Him consigned to the tomb? And what was that which rose again from the dead?

I trust those who were the closest to the apostles over the multitude of discordant voices heard 2000 years later from those who assume they are more intelligent and have a better anointing from the Holy Spirit than the early church fathers and the members of the ecumenical counsels. Those include folks from John Calvin to Jim Jones and everyone in between. Since I doubt that I'm more qualified to interpret the Bible than the early church fathers and don't think I have my own private line into the Holy Spirit's office, I defer to them.

OOOOPS! Hope I didn't step on any toes! :hug

That's just where I'm coming from. :)

Mazel tov!

iakov the fool
:boing
Though you may not want to admit it, the interpretations you are sharing here reflect catholicism.

Putting that aside, I hope you will agree that we must use the bible to test what we know about the bible. The bible interprets itself, and that is where we are to base our doctrine, and only by studying passages within the context they were written.

There is nothing in the bible that even suggests that the wine and the bread are actually Christs blood and flesh.

Though you may not want to admit it, the interpretations you are sharing here reflect catholicism.

They are the teachings of the earliest writers of Church after the apostles before the term "Catholic" was used and certainly long before there was a modern Roman Catholic Church. The modern RCC may reflect those early teachings but I don't use modern RCC sources.

I hope you will agree that we must use the bible to test what we know about the bible.

And what makes your or my understanding better than the men who were taught by the apostles or their immediate disciples and who subsequently defined the New Testament?

Should we arrogantly assume that we are smarter or more perfectly in tune with the Holy Spirit than those whose lives were imperiled for simply being a Christian?

Are we to assume that they were all heretics but we, being smarter and perfectly attuned to the Holy Spirit can get it right?

There is nothing in the bible that even suggests that the wine and the bread are actually Christs blood and flesh.

Really??? Does your Bible have Mat 26:26-28 and Mark 14:22-24 and Luke 22:19-20 and 1 Cor 11:24-25 and John 6:53-58? If you can't find even a suggestion that the bread and wine are the body and blood of the Lord then it is ONLY because of your interpretation. Those who lived within the generation or two of the apostles and were the recipients of their teaching unanimously agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are the body and blood of the Lord.
(Edit: Tos 2.4 personal insult. Obadiah)

It should strike you as significant, or, at the very least of interest, that not one Christian writer of the early church says anything other than the bread and wine are the body and blood of the Lord. Why do you suppose that might be? A papist conspiracy? (Before there was a pope?)

Give me a solid reason not to accept the teachings of the very early church. Please.

Mozel tov!

Iakov the fool

Last edited by a moderator:
Just here to get your opinions on water baptism. 1st Peter 3:21(NIV) from the way i read it says yes you need water baptism to be saved, but the thief on the cross tells you another story. It would seem to me that water baptism is kinda of a works and its not really necessary, theres a few contradictions in the Bible on water baptism, your thoughts? Is water baptism required to be saved?
Jumping in cold here without reading everyone's posts.

You HAVE to differentiate between getting baptized to be justified, and being baptized to be saved. They are very much two different things. Which one do you mean?

Ah, all of them?

OK. We're discussing variant views of baptism. We're presenting why we believe what we believe. Nobody's trying to convert anyone and nobody's calling names or slinging pejoratives.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought that's what people do in a forum; discuss.

Is discussion a violation of forum rules?

I really would like to know exactly what has been said that is objectionable.

Any help would be appreciated.

jim

OK. We're discussing variant views of baptism. We're presenting why we believe what we believe. Nobody's trying to convert anyone and nobody's calling names or slinging pejoratives.

Maybe I'm confused but I thought that's what people do in a forum; discuss.

Is discussion a violation of forum rules?

I really would like to know exactly what has been said that is objectionable.

Any help would be appreciated.

jim
Guidelines for Posting in the Apologetics and Theology Forum

Christian Theology is by definition the study of God through His word, the Bible. Apologetics goes hand in hand with theology as it is the branch of Christian theology which attempts to give a rational defense of the Christian faith. That makes the Apologetics and Theology forum unique from many of our other forums in that this is a place specifically for these types of discussions.

With this in mind, the following guidelines should be followed.

• Original posts should reference specific scripture and what it is the member wants to say or ask about that scripture.
  • Subsequent responses either opposing or adding additional information should include references to specific supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation of the member's understanding of how that scripture applies.
  • Opinions are plenty and have little value so please do not state positions that have no basis in scripture.
  • Do not use phrases such as, “You’re wrong.” This is insulting and inappropriate and there are nicer ways to disagree without being insulting.
  • Once you have made a point, refrain from flooding the forum with numerous posts making the same point over and over with nothing new to support it.
  • You may ask a member questions as to what they believe on certain topics relative to the subject of the thread, but please keep in mind the member is under no obligation to answer.
  • Failing to answer someone’s question doesn’t necessarily amount to an admission of error or surrender but keep in mind that in any debate if you refuse to or can not answer a reasonable question, it may weaken your position.

They are the teachings of the earliest writers of Church after the apostles before the term "Catholic" was used and certainly long before there was a modern Roman Catholic Church. The modern RCC may reflect those early teachings but I don't use modern RCC sources.

And what makes your or my understanding better than the men who were taught by the apostles or their immediate disciples and who subsequently defined the New Testament?

Should we arrogantly assume that we are smarter or more perfectly in tune with the Holy Spirit than those whose lives were imperiled for simply being a Christian?

Are we to assume that they were all heretics but we, being smarter and perfectly attuned to the Holy Spirit can get it right?

Really??? Does your Bible have Mat 26:26-28 and Mark 14:22-24 and Luke 22:19-20 and 1 Cor 11:24-25 and John 6:53-58? If you can't find even a suggestion that the bread and wine are the body and blood of the Lord then it is ONLY because of your interpretation. Those who lived within the generation or two of the apostles and were the recipients of their teaching unanimously agree that the bread and wine of the Eucharist are the body and blood of the Lord.

Who should I believe, you looking back 2000 years through your denominational glasses or those who were the direct descendants in discipleship of the apostles?

It should strike you as significant, or, at the very least of interest, that not one Christian writer of the early church says anything other than the bread and wine are the body and blood of the Lord. Why do you suppose that might be? A papist conspiracy? (Before there was a pope?)

Give me a solid reason not to accept the teachings of the very early church. Please.

Mozel tov!

Iakov the fool
Just take those passages as they are and you have to come to the conclusion that Jesus is speaking figuratively about the bread and wine. He is not saying they are literally his body and blood. Otherwise they would be actually eating pieces of His flesh, and drinking His actual blood, which they are not.

You are putting a lot of stock in the interpretations men of the church made almost 2000 years ago, when even in the bible Jesus' own followers got things wrong even though the Man who was the source was right there in front of them. Yes, we all get things wrong, which is what Martin Luther was saying about the catholic church. He brought under scrutiny everything that was taught by previous leaders of the church all the way back to when the New Testament was written. Everything from baptism to how we are actually saved.

Just because the term "catholic" wasn't used until well into the first millennium doesn't mean that the christian church, as a whole shouldn't, or can't, be referenced that way. The word "catholic" means "universal", regardless of whatever negative connotation we currently may associate with it.

• Subsequent responses either opposing or adding additional information should include references to specific supportive scripture relevant to the thread and offer explanation of the member's understanding of how that scripture applies.
  • Opinions are plenty and have little value so please do not state positions that have no basis in scripture.

So only scripture may be used to support one's opinion. The writings of Luther, Knox, Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon, Bultmann, Westerman, C.S. Lewis. etc. are all verboten?? No commentators? No apologists? No scholars or theologians?

If so, that leaves only everyone's OPINION of what the scriptures mean. (Edited, ToS 2.4, insulting. Obadiah)

iakov the fool

Too many posts have been nothing more than personal opinion. Opinions have little value and lead to pointless argument.

Pay attention to the spirit of the rule.

:topic

So only scripture may be used to support one's opinion. The writings of Luther, Knox, Calvin, Wesley, Spurgeon, Bultmann, Westerman, C.S. Lewis. etc. are all verboten?? No commentators? No apologists? No scholars or theologians?

If so, that leaves only everyone's OPINION of what the scriptures mean. Every crackpot thinks his opinion is firmly based in scripture. I would hope for a bit more in an adult conversation.

iakov the fool
No one has told you that you can not quote these people. But if you choose to quote them you should also know why you agree with them, and that agreement per the guidelines of this forum require that you base your agreement on actual scripture complete with a chapter and verse (including the version such as NIV, ESV, etc) reference listed that you can actually quote word for word from a legitimate accepted translation of the Bible. In other words, you believe a certain thing because of a way you interpret a specific passage of scripture. If you quote a theologian's opinion to support your interpretation that is fine. But quoting only a theologian's opinion to sup[port your position without any scriptural backing puts the words of that theologian ahead of God's word.

This is afterall a discussion of Christian theology, and Christian theology for the purposes of this forum must be based on scripture, not on only another persons particular idea even if they ARE a respected theologian. The fact that I no longer enforce the guidelines and many members have abandoned following them does not mean I don't agree with them or that I don't expect members to follow them, especially when asked to do so as I did in this thread. The people you listed above were not directly inspired by God to write His word, so if you can not back what they say with legitimate scripture, you should either research what they wrote to find the scriptural backing for it and post that scriptural backing, or you should not quote them in this particular forum.

By the way, this is a message to everyone, not just to the member I directly responded to.

Last edited:
I did that.
You asked a question about quoting theologians and I answered it in a way that I'd hoped clarified it for all members. My answer to your question did not accuse you of anything in any way. Me thinks thou dost protest too much. Now, back to topic. Any further discussions of this can be taken up in a Talk With The Staff thread.

(Edited. Off topic. Take this to a Talk With The Staff thread per ToS 2.14. Obadiah)

edited reba

2.14: 1.3: If you feel that any action taken was unfair, it can be appealed. To appeal an action taken against you by CF.net staff, you are advised to start a new thread in the ‘Talk With the Staff’ forum area. Threads in this forum are viewable only by the person initiating the thread and CF.net staff. In this private venue, anyone on the CF.net staff may respond, and the OP can address his/her concerns with regard to the action taken. This forum is intended only for appeals to actions by CF.net staff. TWTS area may also be used, according to Staff discretion, for other expedient purpose of communication. If a member agrees or disagrees with a Moderator's decision, they are not to make their opinion public.(see 1.3)

A thinly veiled snark is still a snark..

(Post removed. Response to a deleted post. Obadiah.)

Baptism is merely a symbol that you are set apart by God.
Please show me where Scripture calls baptism "merely a symbol". I have been asking this question for years and have yet to get an actual verse.

Basically, and outward sign that you are saved.
Please show me where Scripture calls baptism "an outward sign that you are saved". I have been asking this question for years and have yet to get an actual verse.

The use of water is a symbol that Christ has washed our sins away, made us "white as snow" as it were.
Where is the use of water called "a symbol that Christ has washed our sins away". I have been asking...you get the point...

I'm opening this thread back up with a word of caution to the wise. If you wish to not receive infraction points or restrictions stick to the topic of this thread and do not post arguments with staff over requests to follow the rules of the forums. That is reserved for the Talk With The Staff forum per ToS 2.14. Thank you.

Back