Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

What is "GODS RIGHTEOUSNESS"

God's righteousness comes from His holiness. That is why it says...Be holy for the Lord God is holy! Holiness is knowing God and living from where He is. When we live in the fire of God so that every thought and action are as pure as God's...then we KNOW Him. This is how we become the righteousness of God on earth. By being with Him in Zion by the Spirit. This is exactly how Jesus walked on earth as well.

Well said. So simple and so true. The problem is that His Holiness is seen in faith not in the capacity to reason between good and evil. I believe all sin happened and happens because we presume to judge and therefore give place to doubt and accusation, first in God, then in others, and finally in ourselves. Righteousness is therefore by faith, from faith to faith.

2Co 4:18

While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Men in there carnal minds, always look at mans weakness, but those who have accepted the Truth in the Gospel have learned to look to our unseen God and His sure victory for all who believe!

Why did God make man? Could it be that He made man to please Himself? If so, what pleases God, but that by faith we behold His beauty in the Face of Christ Jesus!:clap

Good preaching brother. I've enjoy your posts. Your love for the Lord is so apparent but more importantly you KNOW that you are a disciple that Jesus loves.

Well said. So simple and so true. The problem is that His Holiness is seen in faith not in the capacity to reason between good and evil. I believe all sin happened and happens because we presume to judge and therefore give place to doubt and accusation, first in God, then in others, and finally in ourselves. Righteousness is therefore by faith, from faith to faith.

So true but I find that with me that it is when I get down on me and condemn myself (not me but the accuser of the brothern) then I found I am hard on others and become judgmental or become confused and distrust God. If I forget the work He says He has done in me, that new creature in Christ, my spirit new and Him living in me, then I wallow in my shame and become very self-centered thus a form of self_righteousness.

So true but I find that with me that it is when I get down on me and condemn myself (not me but the accuser of the brothern) then I found I am hard on others and become judgmental or become confused and distrust God. If I forget the work He says He has done in me, that new creature in Christ, my spirit new and Him living in me, then I wallow in my shame and become very self-centered thus a form of self_righteousness.
How true, and yet how honest and humble is your post. Is there no wrong way for those who Love God? For God has turned the accusations of our enemy into praise unto Himself.

God's righteousness comes from His holiness. That is why it says...Be holy for the Lord God is holy! Holiness is knowing God and living from where He is. When we live in the fire of God so that every thought and action are as pure as God's...then we KNOW Him. This is how we become the righteousness of God on earth. By being with Him in Zion by the Spirit. This is exactly how Jesus walked on earth as well.
God Is Holy! His Righteousness is Holy, If you dont have it you are unholy! Because you have not been washed by The Blood and Water of Christ!

Since God's commandments are righteousness....

If one loves God, he must keep His commandments...

then righteousness is something that must be done to love God...

John said 'he that DOETH righteousness is righteous', 1 Jn 3:7

Peter said those that WORKETH righteousness are accepted with God, Acts 10:35

Nowhere did I suggest anyone keep the OT 10 commandments. To be saved one must keep God's NT commands/righteousness such as being baptized.

Peter in Acts 10:35 said he that worketh righteousness is accepted with God. God's commandments/righteousness includes being baptized as Peter commanded those in Acts 10:47,48 to be water baptized. So when one obeys God's righteousness in being baptized he is working righteousness and accepted with God. In Rom 10:3 it was not the 10 commandments Paul said the Jews should submit to in order to be saved. For the Jews to be saved they would have to obey God's righteousness in believing and confessing with the mouth, that is, obey the gospel of Christ and not the OT 10 commandments.

Gal 5:14

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Gal 5:18

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Rom 10:3

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Tell us all about how righteous you are?:toofunny

Rom 1:17

For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

If Gods Holiness is His Righteousness? then holiness must be by faith:)
Anyone who claims they keep the law makes God a liar.
And God does not lie!

Rom 3:19

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.

Rom 2:23

Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God? :grumpy

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and going about to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted themselves unto the righteousness of God.

Romans 10:3 KJV

Righteousness" is here used for the plan of making men righteous. The Jews were not ignorant that God was a righteous and holy being, but in the blindness of their hearts they were ignorant of the provisions that God had made for justifying men, or making them righteous through Jesus Christ.

and seeking to establish their own,—[They sought a righteousness of their own, of works, secured by keeping the law and obeying the traditions of men. Matt 15:3-8 Mark 7:7,8. Their theory they not only sought to make good, but they shut their eyes and ears against every fact having in any measure the effect to prove them wrong. They assumed their theory to be infallible, and, as a consequence, grew impenetrable to argument against it.]

They did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.—In depending upon and following their own ways of making men righteous, they had rejected God and been rejected of him. It has always been a popular idea in the world that so a man worshiped according to his convictions of right, his worship would be acceptable to God. But these Jews were exceedingly zealous of God; but in ignorance of God's way of making men righteous, they were rejected of God.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is best to know what scripture means and not your own interpretation.
Romans 10:3 KJV

Righteousness" is here used for the plan of making men righteous. The Jews were not ignorant that God was a righteous and holy being, but in the blindness of their hearts they were ignorant of the provisions that God had made for justifying men, or making them righteous through Jesus Christ.

and seeking to establish their own,—[They sought a righteousness of their own, of works, secured by keeping the law and obeying the traditions of men. Matt. 15:3-8; Mark 7:7, 8. Their theory they not only sought to make good, but they shut their eyes and ears against every fact having in any measure the effect to prove them wrong. They assumed their theory to be infallible, and, as a consequence, grew impenetrable to argument against it.]

they did not subject themselves to the righteousness of God.—In depending upon and following their own ways of making men righteous, they had rejected God and been rejected of him. It has always been a popular idea in the world that so a man worshiped according to his convictions of right, his worship would be acceptable to God. But these Jews were exceedingly zealous of God; but in ignorance of God's way of making men righteous, they were rejected of God.

4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth. Romans 10:3-4 (KJV)

Since Christ is the end to which the law brings every one that believeth for righteousness, if one is not brought by the law to accept Christ, it shows that he has mistaken the end and purpose of the law. The same thought is expressed in these words: "So that the law is become our tutor to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith. But now that faith is come, we are no longer under a tutor." Gal. 3:24, 25. Those who claim to follow the law, yet reject Christ, are ignorant of the end and teaching of the law. Christ in his life fulfilled perfectly the righteousness required by the law. [Had the Jews only used the law instead of abusing it, it would have been their best preparation for the Savior's advent; for by reason of man's weakness it was powerless to justify. It was intended to impart to man a knowledge of his sinfulness and awaken in his heart earnest longings for some powerful deliverer. Thus used, it would have insured the reception of the Messiah by the Jews. Striving to attain to real holiness, and increasingly conscious of the impossibility of attaining it by the imperfect obedience to the law's requirements, they would gladly have recognized Jesus Christ as the end of the law for righteousness.]

Rom 10:4

For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.

Rom 10:12

For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

you must be wrong?

2Co 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.:thumbsup

You can have that "religious form" of righteousness if you want?

I will just receive His by faith!:)

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? James 2:20 (KJV)

A vain man, who has not properly considered the matter under consideration. He who would attempt to reason that faith, apart from works, is efficacious,to those qualities which are essential to proper reasoning. Faith, apart from works, is faith only. Such a faith is "barren," (argen, unproductive), because it is dead. That which is dead is incapable of producing; and is thus barren. Earlier, and in much detail, James shows that faith, without works, is dead; here, he indicates that it is without the outward evidence of life (productivity) which demonstrates that life exists. James 2:17, 20. The kind of faith described here—faith apart from works,—is the kind which the denominational world urges is that which saves. The Scriptures, on the contrary, establish the fact that in the hands of a person exercising such faith there are no sheaves whatsoever!

But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? James 2:20 (KJV)

A vain man, who has not properly considered the matter under consideration. He who would attempt to reason that faith, apart from works, is efficacious,to those qualities which are essential to proper reasoning. Faith, apart from works, is faith only. Such a faith is "barren," (argen, unproductive), because it is dead. That which is dead is incapable of producing; and is thus barren. Earlier, and in much detail, James shows that faith, without works, is dead; here, he indicates that it is without the outward evidence of life (productivity) which demonstrates that life exists. James 2:17, 20. The kind of faith described here—faith apart from works,—is the kind which the denominational world urges is that which saves. The Scriptures, on the contrary, establish the fact that in the hands of a person exercising such faith there are no sheaves whatsoever!

I have not even adressed the issue of works on this thread! Maybe you should not adress the issue of works , until you have submitted to Gods Righteousness?

Rom 2:4

Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?

How come the religious folks get so upset when we talk about Gods goodness and righteousness?

Rom 2:5

But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God; :sad

2Co 5:21

For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.:thumbsup

You can have that "religious form" of righteousness if you want?

I will just receive His by faith!:)

And how did you get to be "in him" ?

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!:thumbsup

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith Romans 1:16-17 (KJV)

Since the righteous shall live by faith, without faith none shall live. Truth does not mold the character of a man unless it is practiced. To see a truth, to believe a truth, does not mold the character unless it changes the purpose and the life. Faith apart from works is barren. James 2:20. And faith fits for the blessings of God by leading us to follow God in his ways, and so makes our character like God's character. Thus faith leads from one stage or degree of faith to another and higher one.

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
James 2:23 (KJV)

Faith itself thus became an act of obedience which, in its exercise, and when, at the moment, there were no additional duties upon Abraham, God accepted as proof of Abraham's devotion. One must not from this assume that the exercise of belief bestowed upon Abraham blessings apart from and independent of any obedience; though this conclusion is often drawn, it is an erroneous and hurtful one. In the nature of the case, the promise of great posterity involved matters which would require considerable time for their development. There was nothing more, at the moment, for Abraham to do but to accept, without hesitation, the assurances of such from God. This, he did; and his acceptance became an act of righteousness which God, in his turn, accepted, and put to Abraham's account for righteousness (right-doing). It is a violent perversion of this passage and historic incident from it to assume that because Abraham's faith was accepted as an act of righteousness when there was nothing else required of him at the time that in our case faith will suffice without the performance of those conditions which are required of us now. Even in Abraham's case, as James so clearly shows, the patriarch's faith did not reach its consummation, its fulfillment, until it had translated itself into action in the offering of Isaac.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:24 (KJV)

17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith Romans 1:16-17 (KJV)

Since the righteous shall live by faith, without faith none shall live. Truth does not mold the character of a man unless it is practiced. To see a truth, to believe a truth, does not mold the character unless it changes the purpose and the life. Faith apart from works is barren. James 2:20. And faith fits for the blessings of God by leading us to follow God in his ways, and so makes our character like God's character. Thus faith leads from one stage or degree of faith to another and higher one.

23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
James 2:23 (KJV)

Faith itself thus became an act of obedience which, in its exercise, and when, at the moment, there were no additional duties upon Abraham, God accepted as proof of Abraham's devotion. One must not from this assume that the exercise of belief bestowed upon Abraham blessings apart from and independent of any obedience; though this conclusion is often drawn, it is an erroneous and hurtful one. In the nature of the case, the promise of great posterity involved matters which would require considerable time for their development. There was nothing more, at the moment, for Abraham to do but to accept, without hesitation, the assurances of such from God. This, he did; and his acceptance became an act of righteousness which God, in his turn, accepted, and put to Abraham's account for righteousness (right-doing). It is a violent perversion of this passage and historic incident from it to assume that because Abraham's faith was accepted as an act of righteousness when there was nothing else required of him at the time that in our case faith will suffice without the performance of those conditions which are required of us now. Even in Abraham's case, as James so clearly shows, the patriarch's faith did not reach its consummation, its fulfillment, until it had translated itself into action in the offering of Isaac.

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
James 2:24 (KJV)

Jas 2:24

Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.

Jas 2:25

Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

Now you have made a good point that Rahab a harlot was justified in her faith, because she kept them in her harlot-house! I agree that this proves "Gods Righteousness" that he justifies even the harlot while she is a harlot!

So if we say we Believe, then we should act as believers, just like rahab the harlot. thats the point James is making!

Jas 5:15

And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up; and if he have committed sins, they shall be forgiven him

This is real faith, believing in Gods faithfulness, healing the sick in His name!

Last edited by a moderator:

When those who are in the "flesh" hear the term "righteousness" they always think of what THEY must do?

But a believer who is "spiritual" always thinks of what God has done by the WORK of Christ Jesus, One who walks by the Rightoeusness of God walks in the grace and power of God!

I think we can see how those who are in the flesh cannot allow that
some of us serve and act according to "His Righteousness" which we have been given, for by the faith we accepted His Righteousness, we act in faith by His righteousness!

Rom 5:17

For if by one man's offence death reigned by one; much more they which receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness shall reign in life by one, Jesus Christ.) :thumbsup

Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

Mat 21:31

Whether of them twain did the will ofhisfather? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you.
Mat 21:32

For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seenit,repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.

Consider how great Gods Righteousness is, that the harlot Rahab in simple faith believed the God of Israel was able to take the city, and she acted in care of His people. For her simple faith in The Great "I AM" she was counted worthy of the greastest of honors. Only a few of the women in the line of Christ Jesus was mentioned, and Rahab herself was given this great honor! (Matt 1:5)
Also in (Heb 11) "The Hall of Faith" Rahab is mentioned with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob,Joseph, and Moses! Consider the "Righteousness of Faith" in the eyes of God, What will He do for those who dare to believe in the Great "I AM"

Kind of like those who addressed Peter here:

Acts 2:37 (KJV)
37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

And what did Peter say? did he say "nothing"? no he said:

Acts 2:38 (KJV)
38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Consider how great Gods Righteousness is, that the harlot Rahab in simple faith believed the God of Israel was able to take the city, and she acted in care of His people. For her simple faith in The Great "I AM" she was counted worthy of the greastest of honors. Only a few of the women in the line of Christ Jesus was mentioned, and Rahab herself was given this great honor! (Matt 1:5)
Also in (Heb 11) "The Hall of Faith" Rahab is mentioned with Abraham, Isaac, Jacob,Joseph, and Moses! Consider the "Righteousness of Faith" in the eyes of God, What will He do for those who dare to believe in the Great "I AM"

So then you must agree Rahab's account of her righteousness included the works James spoke of and not by her faith only.

James 2:24-25 KJV

24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only. 25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

That justification is not by faith only, but is also dependent on acts of obedience to God's will.

My obeying God's righteousness is not perfect but it keeps me in Christ where I am covered by Christ's perfect righteousness.

The verse in your op is where Paul said the Jews were lost for NOT SUBMITTING to the righteousness of God. This means to be saved, the Jews had to obey the commands of God. Rom 10:3 refutes the man-made ideas of faith only.

Back