Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Who made God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
they will hear it I would tell them that my findings are that the bible is from God, and therefore the source of creation is the Christian and Jewish God that is testified in the bible.

What criteria do you use to conclude the Bible is from God?

Does honesty work with them?

You would be surprised what the Holy Spirit can do with the truth.

JLB

I share honestly and with the truth and leave the work to the Holy Spirit. However, I don't just quote the Bible to them. I engage with conversation on issues they want to discuss. I'm an exegetical apologist with a bent for reasoning for Jesus.

I share honestly and with the truth and leave the work to the Holy Spirit. However, I don't just quote the Bible to them. I engage with conversation on issues they want to discuss. I'm an exegetical apologist with a bent for reasoning for Jesus.
Hey ozpen. Do you think the average punter Christian should engage with atheists in semi serious debate? Should we be trying to gain some basic skills in Apologetics? Or leave it to people like you?

I share honestly and with the truth and leave the work to the Holy Spirit. However, I don't just quote the Bible to them.

Oz

You know I didn’t say anything about quoting the Bible to them.

I said God is uncreated.

JLB

Hey ozpen. Do you think the average punter Christian should engage with atheists in semi serious debate? Should we be trying to gain some basic skills in Apologetics? Or leave it to people like you?

humble soul,

No, I do not believe the average member of the Christian laity could engaged with atheists. I couldn't have way back in 1984 and I had biblical training to BA and MA levels, but nothing on apologetics.

It's time for the local church to wake up and equip the saints for their work of ministry (Eph 4:11-12). Many churches let their young people loose on uni campuses unprepared for assaults on their beliefs.

I'm unwell. I'll continue later.

Oz

I would think that even secular Aussies are not impervious to the work of God’s Spirit of truth. (:

Why don't you follow the anti-God comments in On Line Opinion, a secular e-journal
I have hada few articles published last year.

Have u checked the answer OzSpen gave to your questions.

Im not telling you not to engage atheists in debates, by all means feel free.
Jump into the main online atheist forum where I was currently debating abortion with some of them. Just recently a Muslim has entered the abortion thread and has really ruffled some feathers.

It's actually good to observe their behaviours, thinking processes, how anti-Christ some of them are, their moral foundations, how sinister some of them are. It reflects what we see in society with a movement against Christianity and everything else that built our society.

What boggles my mind the most is how they view morality. Indeed the question of morality was what first made me start to reject atheism. And my thought process regarding morality took me on a path, a journey which led me to our Lord. He is the righteous one, not us.

I think you said that you can't paint them with the same brush and that is true. I was an atheist but it was myself that got out of that mindset without anyone else having to convince me. But on these atheist forums I woulnd't expect to find many reasonable atheists.

One of them recently explained to me what he meant by "moral realism".
Within his explanation was...

"as a moral realist, there is no "opposing view", only a collection of wrong and ignorant views"

That statement alone tell me a lot. It tells me that there is no reasoning with this person and any attempt would be a waste of time

Last edited:
What criteria do you use to conclude the Bible is from God?

From reading the bible itself. When I read it on my search for God, I had the impression that God was reading it with me. Either that or the Holy Spirit, or maybe an angel. It was as if He wanted me to understand the verses I was reading. This goes in the same line of thought of the importance of each person searching for God on their own and that if they search for Him, He'll be able to be found.

A second thing about the bible is how it always seems to convey the same message or simular messages. I know people say there are contradictions, but I don't see them. In the span the bible was written, the number of authors (40 authors written in 3 different languages) and the same message from God to repent, turn from your sins, as well as God recusing His people and His judgement on wickedness. These don't seem to change, not throughout the history of older books to newer books.

I don't know if these have any new information that you haven't heard before OzSpen, but I heard these sermons on a local radio station. These sermons were about addressing the common challenges for why people don't believe in Christianity and giving them a good answer for those challenges.

The third one talks about the bible and it's reliability. It's about 45 minutes long though.

From reading the bible itself. When I read it on my search for God, I had the impression that God was reading it with me. Either that or the Holy Spirit, or maybe an angel. It was as if He wanted me to understand the verses I was reading. This goes in the same line of thought of the importance of each person searching for God on their own and that if they search for Him, He'll be able to be found.

A second thing about the bible is how it always seems to convey the same message or simular messages. I know people say there are contradictions, but I don't see them. In the span the bible was written, the number of authors (40 authors written in 3 different languages) and the same message from God to repent, turn from your sins, as well as God recusing His people and His judgement on wickedness. These don't seem to change, not throughout the history of older books to newer books.

I don't know if these have any new information that you haven't heard before OzSpen, but I heard these sermons on a local radio station. These sermons were about addressing the common challenges for why people don't believe in Christianity and giving them a good answer for those challenges.

The third one talks about the bible and it's reliability. It's about 45 minutes long though.

NNS,

Sounds to me like you had an open heart to receive from God and his Word. Would that have been so.

I can only speak for my home country of Australia, but there is an appalling lack of equipping believers to answer unbelievers in the churches. This influenced my writing this article: Interested in low interest rates? Try apologetics in the church!

Blessings,
Oz

Hi Oz. I'm not sure what you are after. Help me out. What is the reason I should go read comments to your articles? (This is an honest question.)

Hospes,

Take a look at how many comments to my articles do not address the topic I wrote about. Instead, they choose to attack the Christian faith and my beliefs through the use (often) of logical fallacies - errors in reasoning.

Oz

Hospes,

Take a look at how many comments to my articles do not address the topic I wrote about. Instead, they choose to attack the Christian faith and my beliefs through the use (often) of logical fallacies - errors in reasoning.

Oz
I see. Is there an insight you're hoping I'll gain? Sorry if I seem obtuse: just trying to understand what you're after.

Also, do you find that clearing up fallacious thinking effective at bringing someone to faith?

I see. Is there an insight you're hoping I'll gain? Sorry if I seem obtuse: just trying to understand what you're after.

Also, do you find that clearing up fallacious thinking effective at bringing someone to faith?

Hospes,

I'm not trying to point to an insight for you. However, when I see respondents avoiding the content of my article with the use of logical fallacies, I sometimes draw that to their attention.

If a person continues to use the fallacious reasoning of logical fallacies, there is no way I can continue engagement with them because erroneous reasoning is illogical. It closes down reasonable conversation.

When atheists or others do this, I point to the need to discuss the issues raised by that world view. For example, if a person states that the Bible is hogwash and is a fairy tale to compare with Mary Poppins, I use this approach:

1. Show that using an Ad Hominem logical fallacy gets us nowhere in the conversation because it doesn't deal with the content of the conversation, lecture, articles or book. Then,
  2. Demonstrate the Bible is not a 'once upon a time' fairytale but is an historically based faith whose sacred books are reliable sources of information for God, Jesus, etc.
  3. I demonstrate this through strategies I used in the articles:

My goal is to guide the discussion towards honesty of the Christian position.

I'm of the view that apologetics has low interest in the local evangelical church as those churches have not seen the need to equip young people especially for the anti-Christian challenges in life. I speak from personal experience. My local evangelical church where I was baptised was faithful in expounding Scripture but apologetics got a flick pass.

Providing evidence for God's existence, defending the Trinity, and the problem of evil and suffering were not raised as I was growing up in that church from a well-known evangelical denomination.

Oz

To my brothers and sisters in Christ,

I live in a secular, godless society where people deny the existence of God.

Too often they can't get to the basics and ask: You talk so much about God and his evidence in creation, but who made God?

If you were talking to a secular person in your country, how would you answer the question: Who made God?

Blessings,
Oz
Hi Oz,
I also live in a secular country...Europe is pretty much secular these days. Churches are empty and traditions are disappearing.

Who made God is an interesting question.

I like to tell the person that we have two choices and only two:
And each choice has a problem and we can only decide with which problem we wish to spend the rest of our life.

1. God made everything. We can't understand how God is present or how He made everything or everything about Him or how He got to BE.

2. We have to accept that everything we see around us came about from nothing at all.

Quite a choice!
And yet, this is the choice we are faced with.

I tell them that if we're reading a book...
someone had to put that book together.
If we're wearing a watch...
someone had to make that watch.
The watchmaker theory.

This, to me, seems more logical.
Somehow, everything had to get here...
the question is which way do we trust more?

Nowadays, since we know so much more, I like to say how our DNA is organized and could not have come about by mistake or evolution -- it truly seems impossible when we understand how a cell functions.

So, I throw the old "something from nothing" impossibility out there and see how they handle it.

The other reasons are not accepted...like for instance..
the question is faulty because God was not created and the question assumes He was. They could care less about this reasoning.

But, even I think it is a real mystery that will be understood only after we pass away at which time we will know all.

Hospes,

I'm not trying to point to an insight for you. However, when I see respondents avoiding the content of my article with the use of logical fallacies, I sometimes draw that to their attention.

If a person continues to use the fallacious reasoning of logical fallacies, there is no way I can continue engagement with them because erroneous reasoning is illogical. It closes down reasonable conversation.

When atheists or others do this, I point to the need to discuss the issues raised by that world view. For example, if a person states that the Bible is hogwash and is a fairy tale to compare with Mary Poppins, I use this approach:

1. Show that using an Ad Hominem logical fallacy gets us nowhere in the conversation because it doesn't deal with the content of the conversation, lecture, articles or book. Then,
  2. Demonstrate the Bible is not a 'once upon a time' fairytale but is an historically based faith whose sacred books are reliable sources of information for God, Jesus, etc.
  3. I demonstrate this through strategies I used in the articles:

My goal is to guide the discussion towards honesty of the Christian position.

I'm of the view that apologetics has low interest in the local evangelical church as those churches have not seen the need to equip young people especially for the anti-Christian challenges in life. I speak from personal experience. My local evangelical church where I was baptised was faithful in expounding Scripture but apologetics got a flick pass.

Providing evidence for God's existence, defending the Trinity, and the problem of evil and suffering were not raised as I was growing up in that church from a well-known evangelical denomination.

Oz
Oz,
Re the above, I'd like to say that I took a year's study of Discipleship and it helped me greatly in my understanding of Christianity.

I believe this is also lacking in churches, as this study is not offered in many.

(I don't know if this is still true).

Hi Oz,
I also live in a secular country...Europe is pretty much secular these days. Churches are empty and traditions are disappearing.

Who made God is an interesting question.

I like to tell the person that we have two choices and only two:
And each choice has a problem and we can only decide with which problem we wish to spend the rest of our life.

1. God made everything. We can't understand how God is present or how He made everything or everything about Him or how He got to BE.

2. We have to accept that everything we see around us came about from nothing at all.

Quite a choice!
And yet, this is the choice we are faced with.

I tell them that if we're reading a book...
someone had to put that book together.
If we're wearing a watch...
someone had to make that watch.
The watchmaker theory.

This, to me, seems more logical.
Somehow, everything had to get here...
the question is which way do we trust more?

Nowadays, since we know so much more, I like to say how our DNA is organized and could not have come about by mistake or evolution -- it truly seems impossible when we understand how a cell functions.

So, I throw the old "something from nothing" impossibility out there and see how they handle it.

The other reasons are not accepted...like for instance..
the question is faulty because God was not created and the question assumes He was. They could care less about this reasoning.

But, even I think it is a real mystery that will be understood only after we pass away at which time we will know all.

wondering,

That is an outstanding response with incredible insight.

Blessings to my Italian friend from this Aussie, Aussie, Aussie Oi, Oi, Oi friend,

Oz

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back