Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

WHY DID GOD GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?

Some very cogent and articulate thoughts here Davies. I think that God may view it as a slap in the face that He sent His son to die for our transgressions of His righteous law and then some would demean that sacrifice by saying that law is done away and no longer applies. If the law no longer applies, then why would the sacrifice that paid for the transgessions of that holy law still need to apply?

Hi John 8:32,

A great question, but what I think is in contention is the purpose of the law after becoming a Christian. I would try to hold a reverent view of the Law of God, because that is what is taught by Jesus and the apostles. To be able to dismiss the Law of God after coming to faith in Jesus, I would think, would provide a false motivation to come to Jesus to those who are not believers. I can hear the false convert now, 'I won't have to worry about all those rules anymore if I become a Christian because I won't be under the law.' Before conversion, we are motivated to obey the Law of God to be right with Him. Now that we have been born again, our motivation to love God (to obey God) should dwarf the old motivation. By comparison, we should hate the old motivation.

1 John 3:4

New King James Version (NKJV)

Sin and the Child of God

4 Whoever commits sin also commits lawlessness, and sin is lawlessness.

If we are unbelievers or Christians, this statement is true. When we sin, do we hear condemnation or conviction? I think it depends on if our trust is in the Savior or not.

Thanks John 8:32,

- Davies

davies

No, Sorry it was not by His Sermon, but by His Active Life and Obedience unto Death, Action speaks louder than Words. I am speaking about what He did and accomplished, and thats it !

Read what the Truth says Isa 42:21

21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Don't add man into this !

Hi savedbygrace57,

The teaching on the Sermon on the Mount was a revelation to the people of the time. At least, I think so. The Pharisees had a surface level understanding of the Law, so that they thought they could keep it. But who, after listening to the Sermon on the Mount could ever think they could keep the Law? That's the point I was trying to make when I said that Jesus magnified the Law in the Sermon on the Mount. I would agree with you whole heartedly that Jesus magnified and made it honorable by what He did, though His words were consistent with His actions. I think we honor God when we walk by the Spirit and are found to be faithful to Him.

- Davies

Hi savedbygrace57,

The teaching on the Sermon on the Mount was a revelation to the people of the time. At least, I think so. The Pharisees had a surface level understanding of the Law, so that they thought they could keep it. But who, after listening to the Sermon on the Mount could ever think they could keep the Law? That's the point I was trying to make when I said that Jesus magnified the Law in the Sermon on the Mount. I would agree with you whole heartedly that Jesus magnified and made it honorable by what He did, though His words were consistent with His actions. I think we honor God when we walk by the Spirit and are found to be faithful to Him.

- Davies

The revelation is, that the 10 commandments do not contain all that there is to the Law.

The Law is -

Do not eat of the tree...

Go to a street called straight...

Go to the house of Cornelius...

The law is what God says, not a list of rules!

Thats why the scripture says -

As many as are led by The Spirit of God, these are the sons of God!

It's about relationship and hearing and obeying The Voice of God!

Thats why Jesus said -

39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

God desires relationship, which produces the faith of obedience!

Hebrews 11 is filled with those who walked with God, those who heard His voice and dared to obey.

JLB

Hi Mitspa,

When you say you transgress the Royal Law of Jesus, how does that make you feel? Do you feel bad? How often do you violate the Royal Law of Jesus?

I think the word you're looking for, instead of condemnation, is conviction; though condemnation is not a bad subject to study.

I'm glad you haven't condemned me, but you have falsely accused me of looking to the law to be justified. You keep saying don't look to the law, but the law is something we should delight in because it gives us a reflection of the perfect character and nature of God.

Yes, I would agree with you that the law condemns us, but not as Christians.

I don't know what you are referring to here. If you could be specific, I can respond to the charge. Have I said the law of God does not condemn or that it condemns me as a Christian? I have not said those things and I'm not promoting those things.

The Law itself is not responsible for your sin. If that was the case, Jesus would be a sinner, because He taught it. Here is a proper view of the law:
Romans 7:7-8

Sin’s Advantage in the Law

7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.â€[a] 8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead.

Tell me, Mitspa, what is the Royal Law that you refer to? Would you call it sin when you violate it? Are you walking by the Spirit when you violate the Royal Law? When we look at the Ten Commandments, it reflects the truth about us. For the believer, he stands already condemned by the Law; for the Christian, the law no longer condemns, but shows a Holy God who follows the law even when He forgives the unjust. The Law is the means by which we see our need for salvation, our coming to Christ, even by which our sins are paid. Mercy triumphed over judgment, and it wasn't against the Law.

I still would like an apology for threatening me to post my private messages to you. If you don't apologize, I have nothing left to think other than you are unrepentant.

- Davies

First! i am going to stay away from the personal issues? You can believe whatever you like about me?

I have gone about as far with you on the issue of how the law produces sinful desires in our flesh! you can play word games with that truth all you want? its still the truth!

The strength of sin is THE LAW!

sin will not have dominion over you because YOU ARE NOT UNDER LAW BUT UNDER GRACE!

so keep looking and I am sure you will find what God intended you to find! How many trips around the mountain, or how many years in the wilderness, will depend upon your own pride!

The question about the Royal Law is a good one! although I did not nor do I hold you to be the judge of such things.

I think I most often fail at the Love of Christ when I fail to love as I should those who are hurting and In need?

I do not feel guilty no do I weep and throw a big religious show of repentance, as some do!

When I see that I have failed, I go to my beloved Christ and say I am sorry, please help me to love as you love!

When His forgivness and righteousness, become more real than our mistakes, then we understand that He can change us by His Grace! Not our guilt!

So try some more guilt and make another charge against me?

I learned a valuable lesson? "how can you believe, who seek honor from men" Every thought of a mans opinion of me is a step away from where God would have me be!

A great question, but what I think is in contention is the purpose of the law after becoming a Christian. I would try to hold a reverent view of the Law of God, because that is what is taught by Jesus and the apostles. To be able to dismiss the Law of God after coming to faith in Jesus, I would think, would provide a false motivation to come to Jesus to those who are not believers. I can hear the false convert now, 'I won't have to worry about all those rules anymore if I become a Christian because I won't be under the law.' Before conversion, we are motivated to obey the Law of God to be right with Him. Now that we have been born again, our motivation to love God (to obey God) should dwarf the old motivation. By comparison, we should hate the old motivation.

Sin and the Child of God

If we are unbelievers or Christians, this statement is true. When we sin, do we hear condemnation or conviction? I think it depends on if our trust is in the Savior or not.

- Davies

At least one of you is an admitted sinner? Now you are worried about someone elses sin? sombody might sin said the sinner!

or is it that your just worried someone might sin more than you? Now that would be awful!

We who are pretty good sinners cant allow those really bad sinners, to think its ok to be a sinner!

The bible has a very clear term for this ? starts with" hy" and ends with" pocricy"

Sin and the Child of God

- Davies

Here is your typical dihonest pretend law keeper?
First they have no clue what part of every jot and tittle is fulfilled by Christ! If its only part the law then Jesus must have done a poor job and made a very big mistake in His statement?
Or could the scipture be true and Pauls words that some would desire to be teachers of the law and know not what they were saying nor what they were trying to affirm!

So tell us again! what part of the law did Christ fulfill?

Also lets look at this dishonest selection of scripture?

1 Jn 3:4

now lets read the next two verses?

And you know that He was manifest to take away OUR SINS, AND IN HIM WE HAVE NO SIN

whoever abides IN HIM DOES NOT SIN, WHOEVER SINS HAS NIETHER SEEN HIM NOR KNOWN HIM!

this is typical of those who claim to uphold "thou shalt not bear false witness"

The law they pretend to uphold produces sinful desires within them! and always proves they are the biggest false witnesses around!

The revelation is, that the 10 commandments do not contain all that there is to the Law.

The Law is -

Do not eat of the tree...

Go to a street called straight...

Go to the house of Cornelius...

The law is what God says, not a list of rules!

Thats why the scripture says -

As many as are led by The Spirit of God, these are the sons of God!

It's about relationship and hearing and obeying The Voice of God!

Thats why Jesus said -

39 You search the Scriptures, for in them you think you have eternal life; and these are they which testify of Me. 40 But you are not willing to come to Me that you may have life. John 5:39-40

God desires relationship, which produces the faith of obedience!

Hebrews 11 is filled with those who walked with God, those who heard His voice and dared to obey.

JLB

I would agree with you JLB that whatever God says, then that would be law to us; when need to be obedient to it. But I can say that anything that God tells us to do can fall into the categories of the first and second Commandments. Everything that Jesus did fell under the law.
Galatians 4:4-5

4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[a] of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

I would agree that a list of rules for us to obey is far from what the purpose of the law was, but there is nothing better for us to use to determine if we are walking in the Spirit or if we are sinning.

Take for example Mitspa. He stated he could post my private messages to show that I condemned myself. Was he telling the truth? After I provided clarity on what I said in my private messages, did Mitspa say, 'I misunderstood what you said, and I apologize for saying I could post your private messages?' Can we conclude that Mitspa was walking in the Spirit when he said he could post my private messages?; no on all accounts. Now, because Mitspa is a Christian, does the Law of God condemn him?; of course not. Even if Mitspa didn't think he did anything wrong, he should be willing to ask, 'Did I do anything wrong?' But, I don't see that. Despite sin, God will forgive us our sin. Jesus prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail when he denied Him three times. I have no reason to doubt Mitspa's legal status before God, and if I did, that would be a sin, because I would be usurping God's jurisdiction. I hope Mitspa will consider this the next time he doubts my faith. What would you think of me if I said to you, ' JLB, I doubt that you are saved?' You might think, 'Who does this guy think he is?' Now, I've given Mitspa no reason to conclude my legal status before God, yet he continues to hold that I'm looking to the law as a means to be justified. Do you think I'm looking to the law to be justified? If so, what have I said that would lead you to think this? Now that we understand that we are no longer under the Law, this should give us the freedom to look into the Law without fear of being condemned, that is if we are trusting in Jesus.
These questions are open to anyone who reads this thread.

To set the record straight, the only thing that will come from me regarding the sour nature of this thread, and the perceived sin against me, is nothing. I will bring it up no more. I forgive Mitspa, and I'm at peace in the matter. I thank Mitspa for his point of view, because it has given me a lot of time to think about it, to take it to Scripture, and examine my intent on what I've said. I confess to frustration, and anger to having been mistreated, and for that, Mitspa, I'm sorry. At those moments, I was not walking in the Spirit, but in the flesh. Can you forgive me? I think we've covered the subject rather well. Whoever may read it, take it to Scripture and be lead by the Holy Spirit.

- Davies

JLB

I would agree with you JLB that whatever God says, then that would be law to us; when need to be obedient to it. But I can say that anything that God tells us to do can fall into the categories of the first and second Commandments. Everything that Jesus did fell under the law.

4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[a] of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.

I would agree that a list of rules for us to obey is far from what the purpose of the law was, but there is nothing better for us to use to determine if we are walking in the Spirit or if we are sinning.

Take for example Mitspa. He stated he could post my private messages to show that I condemned myself. Was he telling the truth? After I provided clarity on what I said in my private messages, did Mitspa say, 'I misunderstood what you said, and I apologize for saying I could post your private messages?' Can we conclude that Mitspa was walking in the Spirit when he said he could post my private messages?; no on all accounts. Now, because Mitspa is a Christian, does the Law of God condemn him?; of course not. Even if Mitspa didn't think he did anything wrong, he should be willing to ask, 'Did I do anything wrong?' But, I don't see that. Despite sin, God will forgive us our sin. Jesus prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail when he denied Him three times. I have no reason to doubt Mitspa's legal status before God, and if I did, that would be a sin, because I would be usurping God's jurisdiction. I hope Mitspa will consider this the next time he doubts my faith. What would you think of me if I said to you, ' JLB, I doubt that you are saved?' You might think, 'Who does this guy think he is?' Now, I've given Mitspa no reason to conclude my legal status before God, yet he continues to hold that I'm looking to the law as a means to be justified. Do you think I'm looking to the law to be justified? If so, what have I said that would lead you to think this? Now that we understand that we are no longer under the Law, this should give us the freedom to look into the Law without fear of being condemned, that is if we are trusting in Jesus.

To set the record straight, the only thing that will come from me regarding the sour nature of this thread, and the perceived sin against me, is nothing. I will bring it up no more. I forgive Mitspa, and I'm at peace in the matter. I thank Mitspa for his point of view, because it has given me a lot of time to think about it, to take it to Scripture, and examine my intent on what I've said. I confess to frustration, and anger to having been mistreated, and for that, Mitspa, I'm sorry. At those moments, I was not walking in the Spirit, but in the flesh. Can you forgive me? I think we've covered the subject rather well. Whoever may read it, take it to Scripture and be lead by the Holy Spirit.

- Davies

Again personal attacks! accusations etc.. followed by some religious words and false humility! By the way the reason I mentioned the PM was because I was ACCUSED of lying!

Its seems a pattern to act humble and then accuse!

By the way in your last post in which your posted part of a scripture to try to prove we are under the law and all sin is lawlessness? Which is it? are we or are we not under law? For in this post you say we are not under the law, yet in your last you tried to say if we sin we are breaking the law?

You seem to want it both ways? and what part of the jot and tittle are we to do? or are we not to do any of it? and just look at it? what is your point? please take a real stand and explain how and what part of the law we are to keep, and what part we are to just look at? Can the commandment "thou shalt not steal" condemn a believer? then the Commandment to remember the Sabbath just be ignored?

Is one to be kept and the other looked at? How bout the rest of the law? which parts can condemn and which parts are just for fun?

JLB

- Davies

Fair enough.

JLB

Davies, I have thought about your last post, and I accept your words as coming from a sincere place in your heart, I also admit that I have taken the position that I know your guilt or whatever is to be classified as condemnation? For this I do say I am sorry. I know the years and battles it takes for any to come to the place where we are more sure of His forgivness, than our own mistakes! Maybe a day or two from this thread would put things into a better light? I do hope that the pionts I have made will be considered? For I do desire that OurBeloved Christ be formed" in full" in your heart, as well as mine! -Mitspa

Davies, I have thought about your last post, and I accept your words as coming from a sincere place in your heart, I also admit that I have taken the position that I know your guilt or whatever is to be classified as condemnation? For this I do say I am sorry. I know the years and battles it takes for any to come to the place where we are more sure of His forgivness, than our own mistakes! Maybe a day or two from this thread would put things into a better light? I do hope that the pionts I have made will be considered? For I do desire that OurBeloved Christ be formed" in full" in your heart, as well as mine! -Mitspa

I want to add one thought to this thread? I have ministered in the jails on the streets etc.. There are many that are ready to come to Christ, but false doctrine and their own great weakness has convinced them they have no place in the House of the Lord? I tell you that God does not call the strong but the weak. Doctrines that lay heavy yokes and burdens are sending many of these poor souls to hell, less the Lord have mercy?

You who would lay the law on these people, have you no heart for the weak? does the harlot not deserve to know of His Grace that will deliver her? does the wretched drug addict have to die so others can pretend to be holy? how can one lay a set of rules on these weak people, that no one can keep?

No! this is not the love of Christ! this is not His easy yoke! He would have them come! and be made well by His Love and grace!

The Lord will build His Chruch, I hope He fills it with the most wretched and makes them great, By HIS GRACE!

Thanks Mitspa,

I appreciate the apology. Though we still have a difference over the view of the Law, I think we can still be encouraged in seeking Jesus, His righteousness which justifies a sinner through faith.

- Davies

Those who have ears to hear?
The Commandment is just and Holy! it is Spiritual?
Without Christ and the knowledge of His Love, being revealed by the Holy Spirit, no man can approach the commandment!

So do we look first at The commandment, with carnal understanding and the hpocricy of the flesh?

Or do we go To Christ and ask Him to teach us to fulfill His love?

Just as the "ruler of the synagogue" in (Luke 13:11-17) was offended that The Lord loosed a woman on the sabbath from her long infirmity. The Lord rebuked them! Ye hypocrites! do you not loose your ox from the stall for water on the sabbath?

So we see the problem I have is not the commandment! But what unloving and ignorant men do to others, with something they have no clue about!

No! ye hypocrites have no love for the weak, you have no right to use the law!
For only in Christ and in His love can one use the law lawfully!

The Royal Law of Christ can only be taught by Christ!..moses can not show you, and you can not understand.
You have taken up Holy Things with a carnal mind, and sinful hands, with an untrue heart you attempt to climb the mountain of Gods Righteousness! ye shall be put to death, by your own pride!

davies

The teaching on the Sermon on the Mount was a revelation to the people of the
time.

Its nothing wrong with that, but the Purpose of the Law being given was for Christ to come and Magnify it and make it honorable ! Nothing else could have pleased God more about His Law. Isa 42:21

21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he[Christ] will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

I think we honor God when we walk by the Spirit and are found to be
faithful to Him.

The Just shall live by Faith !

The TEN and then some taught by Paul:

Romans 13:
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Any form of logic can see that at least part of the TEN are cited there by Paul AND to finish the matter off quite thoroughly Paul manages to put in 'any other commandment' therein just to remove all doubt.

So, why did God give the TEN COMMANDMENTS?

hmmmm? It might appear that we would love our neighbors as ourselves. But of course I could be completely guessing. ;)

Only Jesus can do that? Uh, no. Perhaps The Spirit of Christ IN you by doing so. But that is a matter for 'believers' to do and to practice.

To stick a fork in the subject:

1 John 3:14
We know that we have passed from death unto life, because we love the brethren. He that loveth not his brother abideth in death.

s

Those who have ears to hear?
The Commandment is just and Holy! it is Spiritual?
Without Christ and the knowledge of His Love, being revealed by the Holy Spirit, no man can approach the commandment!

So do we look first at The commandment, with carnal understanding and the hpocricy of the flesh?

Or do we go To Christ and ask Him to teach us to fulfill His love?

Just as the "ruler of the synagogue" in (Luke 13:11-17) was offended that The Lord loosed a woman on the sabbath from her long infirmity. The Lord rebuked them! Ye hypocrites! do you not loose your ox from the stall for water on the sabbath?

So we see the problem I have is not the commandment! But what unloving and ignorant men do to others, with something they have no clue about!

No! ye hypocrites have no love for the weak, you have no right to use the law!
For only in Christ and in His love can one use the law lawfully!

The Royal Law of Christ can only be taught by Christ!..moses can not show you, and you can not understand.
You have taken up Holy Things with a carnal mind, and sinful hands, with an untrue heart you attempt to climb the mountain of Gods Righteousness! ye shall be put to death, by your own pride!

How can any of you sinners try to use the law? Only the righteous In Christ can understand it purpose and its spiritual meaning!

If not for the rules of this forum, I would lay its weight upon you, in such a way that You who pretend to uphold it, would let go of it with gladness!

Short answer...

Deu 5:29 O that there were such an heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

Thats no comparison to Christ Keeping God's Commandments, that was God's main Purpose , that Christ would do this Isa 42:21

21 The Lord is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Israel could not do that, in fact Adam failed to do it !

How can any of you sinners try to use the law? Only the righteous In Christ can understand it purpose and its spiritual meaning!

If not for the rules of this forum, I would lay its weight upon you, in such a way that You who pretend to uphold it, would let go of it with gladness!

Is there really any need for your own statements of 'legal obedience' and compliance to be posted again?

You continue to hold up a mere petty caricature of the law that really doesn't have a bit to with much of anything other than as a counter to other false caricatures of these matters.

s

The Ten Commandments was given to bring you to a place in your life where you would bow down and cease from your own efforts and recognize you need a Saviour.

Back