Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Are all people infected by sin?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
OK
To be understood, it would be very useful to state what you mean by the words; "religion", "belief" and "faith."

I find the word "religion" used in a positive sense in the NT by James.
Jas 1:26-27 If anyone among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one's religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
You challenged me. I had a difficult time coming up with an explanation, which goes to show that maybe I hadn't given my response enough forethought. Here is what I have come up with. In simplest terms, the way I understand it...

Religion is the organization, rituals, traditions, and practices we employ in relation to and application of our spiritual beliefs.

Belief is what we understand as truth.

Faith is placing trust in what or whom we believe.

I'm sure there is much that I can learn about each of these.

I gave you the biblical basis, providing evidence.
You continue with your opinions.
Here's my "opinion."
Rom 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
Rom 6:3-4
Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death,
that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,
even so we also should walk in newness of life.

So, according to scripture, (not my opinion) in baptism, believers are baptized into Jesus' death.
And, according to scripture, (not my opinion) in baptism, believers are buried with Jesus
Therefore, according to scripture, (not my opinion) in baptism, as Christ was raised from the dead (to eternal life) so believers also are raised from the dead. (That's resurrection to eternal life.)

Also:
Gal 3:27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
(It is only by being “in Christ” what we have eternal life.)

Col 2:11-14 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
And
you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

So, again, scripture (not my opinion) says that we were dead and were buried with Christ and then were raised up again and made alive with Christ.

Tit 3:4-5 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

"Washing of regeneration": Washing is baptism; regeneration is another word for "born again."

And from the early church:

Justin Martyr (100 – 165 AD) The First Apology, Chapter LXI, “Christian Baptism”

I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God when we had been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, “Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” Now, that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers’ wombs, is manifest to all. And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Esaias the prophet, as I wrote above; he thus speaks: “Wash you, make you clean;...”

And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice, by our parents coming together, and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training; in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance, but may become the children of choice and knowledge, and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe; …… The illuminand is also washed in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and in the name of the Holy Spirit, who through the prophets foretold everything about Jesus.

So, it is certainly NOT "my opinion." It is the teaching of scripture as confirmed by the writings of the early church.

You believe whatever you like. I will follow the teaching of the Church as it has been taught from her ea
Justin Martyr (100 – 165 AD) The First Apology, Chapter LXI, “Christian Baptism”
Note: the word "regeneration" refers to being "born again."

I will also relate the manner in which we dedicated ourselves to God when we had been made new through Christ; lest, if we omit this, we seem to be unfair in the explanation we are making. As many as are persuaded and believe that what we teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, are instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we praying and fasting with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water, and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father and Lord of the universe, and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit, they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, “Except ye be born again, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.” Now, that it is impossible for those who have once been born to enter into their mothers’ wombs, is manifest to all. And how those who have sinned and repent shall escape their sins, is declared by Esaias the prophet, as I wrote above; he thus speaks: “Wash you, make you clean;...”

And for this [rite] we have learned from the apostles this reason. Since at our birth we were born without our own knowledge or choice, by our parents coming together, and were brought up in bad habits and wicked training; in order that we may not remain the children of necessity and of ignorance, but may become the children of choice and knowledge, and may obtain in the water the remission of sins formerly committed, there is pronounced over him who chooses to be born again, and has repented of his sins, the name of God the Father and Lord of the universe; …… The illuminand is also washed in the name of Jesus Christ, who was crucified under Pontius Pilate, and in the name of the Holy Spirit, who through the prophets foretold everything about Jesus.

Theophilus (Ca.180)
The things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this could be a sign of men destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and bath of regeneration - as many as come to the truth and are born again.

Irenaeus (Ca. 180)
When we come to refute them (the Gnostics) we will show in its proper place that this class of men have been instigated by Satan to a denial of that baptism which is regeneration to God. They have renounced the whole faith…..For the baptism instituted by the visible Jesus was for the remission of sins.

But there are some of them (Gnostics) who assert that it is unnecessary to bring persons to the water. Rather, they mix oil and water together, and they place this mixture on the heads of those who are to be initiated…this they maintain to be redemption…Other (heretics), however, reject all these practices and maintain that the mystery of the unspeakable and invisible power should not be performed by visible and corruptible creatures. …These claim that their knowledge of the unspeakable Greatness is itself perfect redemption.

Tertullian (Ca. 198)
Happy is our sacrament of water, in that, by washing away the sins of our early blindness, we are set free and admitted into eternal life… we, like little fishes, after the example of our ichthus, Jesus Christ, are born in water.

Now, the teaching is laid down that “without baptism, salvation is attainable by no one.” This is based primarily on the ground of that declaration of the Lord, who says, “Unless one is born of water he has not life.” However, when this is laid down, there immediately arise scrupulous (or rather, audacious) doubts on the part of some.

“Unless a man has been born again of water and spirit, he will not enter the kingdom of the heavens.” These words have tied faith to the necessity of baptism. Accordingly, all thereafter who became believers were baptized. So it was too, that Paul, when he believed, was baptized.

So, rather than form my own opinion, I will accept as tact the teaching of scripture and the early Church. Above are the scriptures and some of the teaching of the Church to which I submit as a disciple.

Last edited:
You challenged me. I had a difficult time coming up with an explanation, which goes to show that maybe I hadn't given my response enough forethought. Here is what I have come up with. In simplest terms, the way I understand it...

Religion is the organization, rituals, traditions, and practices we employ in relation to and application of our spiritual beliefs.

Belief is what we understand as truth.

Faith is placing trust in what or whom we believe.

I'm sure there is much that I can learn about each of these.
That was an important exercise. Much of today's political rhetoric used to move people to action is intentionally vague in order to connect words and political slogans and raise emotional responses. It is important that we avoid imprecision in our apologetic.

The only aspect that I would suggest to be added is that faith and belief lead to actions which reflect the faith/belief. For example: "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy."

According to Gods word baptismal regeneration is heresy..

Acts 10:33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

This leaves no wiggle room for the thief on the cross and others like him

So, according to you, Paul and Peter were heretics.
Got it.

How many people are the thief on the cross?
God's not a jerk who would keep someone out of his kingdom for failure to do what was impossible for him to do.

Acts 10??
If you bothered to keep reading, you would find: Act 10:47Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?

Last edited:
Here's my "opinion."
Rom 6:1-2 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? Certainly not! How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it?
Rom 6:3-4
Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death,
that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father,
even so we also should walk in newness of life.

So, according to scripture, (not my opinion) in baptism, believers are baptized into Jesus' death.
And, according to scripture, (not my opinion) in baptism, believers are buried with Jesus
Therefore, according to scripture, (not my opinion) in baptism, as Christ was raised from the dead (to eternal life) so believers also are raised from the dead. (That's resurrection to eternal life.)

Also:
(It is only by being “in Christ” what we have eternal life.)

Col 2:11-14 In Him you were also circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, by putting off the body of the sins of the flesh, by the circumcision of Christ, buried with Him in baptism, in which you also were raised with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead.
And
you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross.

So, again, scripture (not my opinion) says that we were dead and were buried with Christ and then were raised up again and made alive with Christ.

Tit 3:4-5 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit,

"Washing of regeneration": Washing is baptism; regeneration is another word for "born again."

And from the early church:

So, it is certainly NOT "my opinion." It is the teaching of scripture as confirmed by the writings of the early church.

You believe whatever you like. I will follow the teaching of the Church as it has been taught from her ea
Note: the word "regeneration" refers to being "born again."

Theophilus (Ca.180)
The things proceeding from the waters were blessed by God, that this could be a sign of men destined to receive repentance and remission of sins, through the water and bath of regeneration - as many as come to the truth and are born again.

Irenaeus (Ca. 180)
When we come to refute them (the Gnostics) we will show in its proper place that this class of men have been instigated by Satan to a denial of that baptism which is regeneration to God. They have renounced the whole faith…..For the baptism instituted by the visible Jesus was for the remission of sins.

But there are some of them (Gnostics) who assert that it is unnecessary to bring persons to the water. Rather, they mix oil and water together, and they place this mixture on the heads of those who are to be initiated…this they maintain to be redemption…Other (heretics), however, reject all these practices and maintain that the mystery of the unspeakable and invisible power should not be performed by visible and corruptible creatures. …These claim that their knowledge of the unspeakable Greatness is itself perfect redemption.

Tertullian (Ca. 198)
Happy is our sacrament of water, in that, by washing away the sins of our early blindness, we are set free and admitted into eternal life… we, like little fishes, after the example of our ichthus, Jesus Christ, are born in water.

Now, the teaching is laid down that “without baptism, salvation is attainable by no one.” This is based primarily on the ground of that declaration of the Lord, who says, “Unless one is born of water he has not life.” However, when this is laid down, there immediately arise scrupulous (or rather, audacious) doubts on the part of some.

“Unless a man has been born again of water and spirit, he will not enter the kingdom of the heavens.” These words have tied faith to the necessity of baptism. Accordingly, all thereafter who became believers were baptized. So it was too, that Paul, when he believed, was baptized.

So, rather than form my own opinion, I will accept as tact the teaching of scripture and the early Church. Above are the scriptures and some of the teaching of the Church to which I submit as a disciple.

Not one of these biblical texts equates baptism into Christ with water baptism. Not one.

Justin Martyr's writings are sometimes helpful, but not God-breathed.

Acts 10:33 Immediately therefore I sent to thee; and thou hast well done that thou art come. Now therefore are we all here present before God, to hear all things that are commanded thee of God.

34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:

35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.

Tob,

Where does the Bible state baptismal regeneration is heresy?

What is difference between heresy & false teaching?

Oz

God's not a jerk who would keep someone out of his kingdom for failure to do what was impossible for him to do.
Not sure what Scripture you are referring to ⬆️ that leads you to believe God’s not a jerk, but the “original church” was such jerks that they would in fact keep someone out of their church simply for failing to be a circumcised Jew. Now that’s being a jerk. That is, until the Holy Spirit taught Peter and his followers what it was impossible for any man to do, which was to wash away sins with water.

They learned that, JUST like the thief on the cross, we all (Jew and Gentile, “everyone”) are forgiven of sins by being baptized into Christ, not by being baptized into water:

All the prophets testify concerning this One, that everyone believing in Him receives forgiveness of sins through His name”. While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all the ones hearing the message. And the believers of the circumcision— all-who came with Peter— were astonished that the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured-out also on the Gentiles!
Acts 10:43-45 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Acts 10:43-45&version=DLNT

The “original church” (that is, the Biblical one) was so astonished that they reformed their policy and accepted the none circumcised into their church. But it took some persuading:

Now the apostles and the brothers being throughout Judea heard that the Gentiles also accepted the word of God. But when Peter went up to Jerusalem, the ones of the circumcision were disputing with him, saying that “You went in to men having uncircumcision, and you ate with them”.
Acts 11:1-3 - https://www.biblegateway.com/passage?search=Acts 11:1-3&version=DLNT

So, according to you, Paul and Peter were heretics.
Got it.

How many people are the thief on the cross?

Acts 10??
If you bothered to keep reading, you would find: Act 10:47Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?

That's the point.. if water baptism was necessary for salvation God would make a way for a person to be baptized.. God is no respecter of persons..

I think it is important to be clear about exactly what the "total depravity" doctrine states.

Total depravity:
The doctrine of total depravity (also called "total inability") asserts that, as a consequence of the fall of humanity into sin, every person born into the world is enslaved to the service of sin. People are not by nature inclined to love God with their whole heart, mind, or strength, but rather all are inclined to serve their own interests over those of their neighbor and to reject the rule of God. Thus, all people by their own faculties are morally unable to choose to follow God and be saved because they are unwilling to do so out of the necessity of their own natures. (The term "total" in this context refers to sin affecting every part of a person, not that every person is as evil as possible.)

The statement that all people are unable to choose to follow God is a denial of man’s free will.

Does the Bible teach that man has no free will?

DT 30:19 This day I call heaven and earth as witnesses against you that I have set before you life and death, blessings and curses. Now choose life, so that you and your children may live

JOS 24:15 But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD."

PR 8:10 Choose my instruction instead of silver, knowledge rather than choice gold,

ISA 56:4 For this is what the LORD says: "To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose what pleases me and hold fast to my covenant--

PS 34:11-14 Come, my children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. 12 Whoever of you loves life and desires to see many good days, keep your tongue from evil and your lips from speaking lies. Turn from evil and do good; seek peace and pursue it.

EZE 3:27 But when I speak to you, I will open your mouth and you shall say to them, `This is what the Sovereign LORD says.' Whoever will listen let him listen, and whoever will refuse let him refuse; for they are a rebellious house.

MK 16:15-16 He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation. Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.

JN 3:16-18 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son.

JN 3:36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life, but whoever rejects the Son will not see life, for God's wrath remains on him.

JN 5:24 I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life.

REV 3:20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

REV 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come!" And let him who hears say, "Come!" Whoever is thirsty, let him come; and whoever wishes, let him take the free gift of the water of life.

The assumption that that man has the freedom to make a choice is the basis of all these (and more) verses. Man has free will. The notion that man is incapable of making such a choice is not compatible with the teaching of scripture.

God’s earnest encouragement to choose to serve Him permeates the scriptures. The notion that all mankind is incapable of doing so, that all mankind is “hard wired” to oppose God contradicts the teaching of Scripture.

ISA 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together," says the LORD. "Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool."

ISA 1:19-20 If you are willing and obedient, you will eat the best from the land; but if you resist and rebel, you will be devoured by the sword." For the mouth of the LORD has spoken.

The phrase "if you are willing" requires that the person be able to exercise his free will.

This is one of many examples in scripture of how God deals with man; by giving man the freedom to make a choice. Total depravity resulting in having no free will is not Biblical.

Imho....

iakov the fool
Total depravity defined..

Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

The cure...

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.

38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.

John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.

excellent Scripture selection.

I read somewhere...in the US, Protestantism began its turn away from focusing on the working of The Holy Ghost in (genuine) conversion and towards "making a decision for Christ" around the 2nd Great Awakening, so 1840s. Now...that was when a distinctly American way of "doing" democracy and handling social class issues (basically by pretending that everyone gets a fair shot) came about. to me...

I wonder, sometimes, if -parts- of the established, Protestant church in the US have not merged selected elements of Christianity with The American Myth, to create...American Christianity. nothing wrong with America...but The Good News transcends culture and national boundaries, so...its kind of treading on dangerous ground.

and...as for the RCC...

I"m beginning to think that part of the RCC's appeal is that, for all their otherworldly trappings...its a very -reasonable- faith. Some mainline Protestant groups are remarkably reasonable, too. I"m beginning to think that genuine faith+genuine Christianity may very well be un-reasonable, in many respects.

Not one of these biblical texts equates baptism into Christ with water baptism. Not one.
Rom 6:3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death?
[/QUOTE]Justin Martyr's writings are sometimes helpful, but not God-breathed.[/QUOTE]
So you know better than he. And that's because.....???????

That's the point.. if water baptism was necessary for salvation God would make a way for a person to be baptized.. God is no respecter of persons..
AH. So YOU know exactly what God would and would not do.
Pardon me if I am not convinced of the validity of your expert and infallible knowledge of exactly what God would and would not do.

Total depravity defined..
Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.
12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

The cure...

John 6:37 All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out.
38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.
40 And this is the will of him that sent me, that every one which seeth the Son, and believeth on him, may have everlasting life: and I will raise him up at the last day.
John 6:44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day.
You totally missed the point by lifting a portion of the passage out of its context.
And you have not bothered to read Ps. 14.
All you have demonstrated is that "proof texting" will lead you down the wrong path every time.

And that's where you went.

Back