Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

CAN A REFORMED BELIEVER FALL AWAY FROM FAITH?

I do not know what a Calvinistic doctrine is. If you say it is TULIP...
Yes, it is TULIP. Any teaching that aligns with TULIP is a Calvinistic doctrine. There may be some that I even agree with. But as a whole I reject Calvinism.

The biggest problem for me with Calvinism it does not define predestination, foreknowledge, and election properly. They are all legitimate Biblical concepts, but Calvin's definition and application of them is wrong, IMO. And it is out of these improper definitions that spring his teachings about security of salvation.

I understand you pain completely. I am in the same situation with my wife and it is very difficult and lonely not being like minded at times.

Grace and peace to you.
I will pray for you, and you pray for me. And I mean that. When you think of it, lift a prayer up. My wife needs her heart softened. We prayed together to receive Christ together way back in '86. She has since renounced Christianity and gone to the dark side. She's deep in dark things right now.

Yes, it is TULIP. Any teaching that aligns with TULIP is a Calvinistic doctrine. There may be some that I even agree with. But as a whole I reject Calvinism.

The biggest problem for me with Calvinism it does not define predestination, foreknowledge, and election properly. They are all legitimate Biblical concepts, but Calvin's definition and application of them is wrong, IMO. And it is out of these improper definitions that spring his teachings about security of salvation.
Although I do not believe a Christian can lose their salvation. I truly believe and know we can lose our assurance of salvation. Many reasons for this, false doctrine, not being thankful and above all when we fall into sin. I know there are other reasons, but I cannot think of them now.

I will pray for you, and you pray for me. And I mean that. When you think of it, lift a prayer up. My wife needs her heart softened. We prayed together to receive Christ together way back in '86. She has since renounced Christianity and gone to the dark side. She's deep in dark things right now.
I understand. My wife will go to her grave saying she is a Christian. She was baptized and claimed to be a child of God years ago. The problem is that she does not like to read Gods word, talk about the things of God, will not pray with me, there is no responsibility of sin, thinks church and giving back to God is a scam. It truly breaks my heart.

She is definitely of the world. Our arguments are always because I want to do things the Lords way and I know this conflicts with those who are not saved.

I will pray for you my brother.

how do you think we feel? you have denied everything we post on free will. i find many things this day and age annoying. i myself i dont seek the approval of man. see the only thing i have to be right on, is being in the right standings with GOD

You're confused again as usual and have missed the point. My complaint regarding wondering's post wasn't about her (or anyone's) disagreement with the positions in my posts - it was that they, not knowing me, presume to inform me of what I believe and why I believe it making their own attributions for it. Have disagreement with my posts? Fine have at it - I expect and even enjoy that (mostly), but don't assume knowledge and pass judgement of how I came to my positions by stating the Bible isn't my sole authority for things spiritual and that something else is - that is completely inappropriate, false and incorrect.
Before shooting off and mischaracterizing, you should have made sure you understood my point. I've noticed
that you often have a tendency to read but not comprehend.

Although I do not believe a Christian can lose their salvation. I truly believe and know we can lose our assurance of salvation
your touching a hot subject... there are churches out there that takes it to the extreme . we have the hard core you have beg and plead with God so you stay saved. you have those no matter what you do .you can never be lost again.
you have those who hold we are secure in Christ .but we must remain in Him if we are to go to heaven.

as for me i call it a know so salvation that you can know that you know beyond a shadow of doubt your saved.

might i add i have known those who say you dont really know till you die.. that is not correct. of course those who think i am a good person believe in God and JESUS and the Bible .they have a form of Godliness but deny the power there of.

me personally i lean toward p.o.s perseverance of saints. those Truly saved will endure till the end.

i stated at the first part of this post. that was NO scripture that says you can lose your salvation or you can not !
there are scriptures' that will tell us how to live. on knowing this is what is written

that we may know .

1 John 5
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

1 John 1:2
(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was
1 John 2:25
And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. eternal means forever

we will look at few more scriptures on our security in Christ

1 Peter 1:4-6
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,
5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.
6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:

jude 24
24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

is this a license to sin or do as we please still expect to go to heaven? No

romans 6
What shall we say then? "Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?"

2 God forbid. ** (certainly not)** How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.

see in Christian when we get saved we become a new creation old things past away all things become new .

i like the song thanks to Calvary i dont live here any more .

lets look at john 15

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

if we are living how we want. btw we are all guilty of it so to be honest the osas vs the osnas can drop the rocks and learn to come together Christ prayed we would be one in him.

in conclusion we do Know there is a highway of Holiness And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.
Isaiah 35:8.

i preach a know so salvation. a old time preacher man use to say if you can get saved and not know it. you can lose it and not Know it.

know Calvinism is not my cup of tea but neither is apostolic oneness teaching. years back i went to the Hospital for a colon check o the Joy :eek2 . when i was pre registering they asked me my religion i said Forgiven. they looked at me and said Christian? i said yes. i am free will all the way i dont buy into this being living how I want after salvation and still make it.. a person believing that way Just May Not Beas saved as they think... time for a check up with Doc Jesus and his nurse the Spirit of Truth . we can have full assurance . but then again there is also a false assurance . many are roughly 13 inches from being saved. about 13 inches from the head to our heart.. lots just have head salvation :thumbsup:salute

In all honesty, I do not know what a Calvinistic doctrine is. If you say it is TULIP, then yes I believe and see the Bible teaches these doctrines. I would not say this doctrine was taugh just by Calvin, but the Lord and the apostles taught this before Calvin.

Excellent post electedbyhim. That is exactly the point I've been trying to make - that it is not surprising that
people who study the Bible would come to the same conclusions/interpretations. That doesn't mean or make one person the follower of another but just that they both understand what was written. There is only one fundamental message to the Bible upon which everything else has been built: that Christ alone is the Saviour. If that is understood, and sought out, everything else will fall into place behind it.

[Psa 40:7-8 KJV]
7 Then said I, Lo, I come: in the volume of the book [it is] written of me,
8 I delight to do thy will, O my God: yea, thy law [is] within my heart.
[Jhn 6:39 KJV]
39 And this is the Father's will which hath sent me, that of all which he hath given me I should lose nothing, but should raise it up again at the last day.

You're confused again as usual and have missed the point. My complaint regarding wondering's post wasn't about her (or anyone's) disagreement with the positions in my posts - it was that they, not knowing me, presume to inform me of what I believe and why I believe it making their own attributions for it. Have disagreement with my posts? Fine have at it - I expect and even enjoy that (mostly), but don't assume knowledge and pass judgement of how I came to my positions by stating the Bible isn't my sole authority for things spiritual and that something else is - that is completely inappropriate, false and incorrect.
Before shooting off and mischaracterizing, you should have made sure you understood my point. I've noticed
that you often have a tendency to read but not comprehend.
hmmm suck it up butter cup not everyone is going to jump on your band wagon. but no i am by far confused i have been in carm forum and it is loaded in Calvinist. i been called false teacher so many time i lost count.. its not your job to make me understand.. i do fully understand more than you think

hmmm suck it up butter cup not everyone is going to jump on your band wagon. but no i am by far confused i have been in carm forum and it is loaded in Calvinist. i been called false teacher so many time i lost count.. its not your job to make me understand.. i do fully understand more than you think

No, you obviously sill don't get it. Misrepresenting someone's beliefs is not ok and does a disservice to those
who read it. Here, let me make it simple for you, maybe that will help - disagreeing okay; misrepresenting: not ok.
Get it now?

The difference is that those who are of the reformed faith give all glory and sovereignty to God for everything.

Others just give glory to self and then God. Humans have found a way to contribute to their salvation.
There is no boast of self in believing:

Romans 4:27
27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of works? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

So right out of the gate Calvinism is operating on a false premise that somehow the 'work' of your believing is a self-righteous work of boast when Paul makes it clear that it is not and for that reason believing is to contrasted and distinguished from works of self righteousness that can't justify.

Calvinism equates a person's 'work' of believing with the works of the law as being the works that can not justify. As I'm showing, the Bible does not!

I understand. My wife will go to her grave saying she is a Christian. She was baptized and claimed to be a child of God years ago. The problem is that she does not like to read Gods word, talk about the things of God, will not pray with me, there is no responsibility of sin, thinks church and giving back to God is a scam. It truly breaks my heart.

She is definitely of the world. Our arguments are always because I want to do things the Lords way and I know this conflicts with those who are not saved.

I will pray for you my brother.
Wow, sounds exactly like my wife. Until she just abandoned it altogether and went to the dark side. She's neck deep in dark things right now.

your touching a hot subject... there are churches out there that takes it to the extreme . we have the hard core you have beg and plead with God so you stay saved. you have those no matter what you do .you can never be lost again.
you have those who hold we are secure in Christ .but we must remain in Him if we are to go to heaven.

as for me i call it a know so salvation that you can know that you know beyond a shadow of doubt your saved.

might i add i have known those who say you dont really know till you die.. that is not correct. of course those who think i am a good person believe in God and JESUS and the Bible .they have a form of Godliness but deny the power there of.

me personally i lean toward p.o.s perseverance of saints. those Truly saved will endure till the end.

i stated at the first part of this post. that was NO scripture that says you can lose your salvation or you can not !
there are scriptures' that will tell us how to live. on knowing this is what is written

that we may know .

1 John 5
13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:

1 John 1:2
(For the life was manifested, and we have seen it, and bear witness, and shew unto you that eternal life, which was with the Father, and was
1 John 2:25
And this is the promise that he hath promised us, even eternal life. eternal means forever

we will look at few more scriptures on our security in Christ

1 Peter 1:4-6​

4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,​

5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.​

6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:​

jude 24​

24 Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,​

25 To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.​

is this a license to sin or do as we please still expect to go to heaven? No​

romans 6​

What shall we say then? "Shall we continue in sin, that grace may abound?"

2 God forbid. ** (certainly not)** How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?​

3 Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?​

4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.​

5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:​

6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.​

7 For he that is dead is freed from sin.​

see in Christian when we get saved we become a new creation old things past away all things become new .​

i like the song thanks to Calvary i dont live here any more .​

lets look at john 15​

I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman.​

2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.​

3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.​

4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.

5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

if we are living how we want. btw we are all guilty of it so to be honest the osas vs the osnas can drop the rocks and learn to come together Christ prayed we would be one in him.​

in conclusion we do Know there is a highway of Holiness And an highway shall be there, and a way, and it shall be called The way of holiness; the unclean shall not pass over it; but it shall be for those: the wayfaring men, though fools, shall not err therein.​

Isaiah 35:8.​

i preach a know so salvation. a old time preacher man use to say if you can get saved and not know it. you can lose it and not Know it.​

know Calvinism is not my cup of tea but neither is apostolic oneness teaching. years back i went to the Hospital for a colon check o the Joy :eek2 . when i was pre registering they asked me my religion i said Forgiven. they looked at me and said Christian? i said yes. i am free will all the way i dont buy into this being living how I want after salvation and still make it.. a person believing that way Just May Not Beas saved as they think... time for a check up with Doc Jesus and his nurse the Spirit of Truth . we can have full assurance . but then again there is also a false assurance . many are roughly 13 inches from being saved. about 13 inches from the head to our heart.. lots just have head salvation :thumbsup:salute

This is my belief as well.

Many believe that those who fall into sin have lost their salvation. I do not believe this. Humans on their own cannot and will not maintain their own salvation, it is impossible, This is Grace and mercy from God given to us wretched people.

27Where, then, is boasting? It is excluded. On what principle? On that of works? No, but on that of faith. 28For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the law.

So right out of the gate Calvinism is operating on a false premise that somehow the 'work' of your believing is a self-righteous work of boast when Paul makes it clear that it is not and for that reason believing is to contrasted and distinguished from works of self righteousness that can't justify.

Calvinism equates a person's 'work' of believing with the works of the law as being the works that can not justify. As I'm showing, the Bible does not!
I get what your saying. My experiences when I have talked to people on this topic in the past and you can just hear the self-righteousness coming from them about choosing God. Its rather disturbing.

So right out of the gate Calvinism is operating on a false premise that somehow the 'work' of believing is a self-righteous work of boast when Paul makes it clear that it is not and for that reason is to contrasted and distinguished from the works of self righteousness that can't justify.

Christ's faith (obedience) to the Father is the "faith" alone that justifies (above), it is not the person's faith.

[Gal 2:16 KJV]
16 Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified.

Back