Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

How Are We Made Right With God?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Hi Dave. I will address your texts when I can. In the meantime, please answer these questions:

But if Christ is in you, your body is dead because of sin, yet your spirit is alive because of righteousness. 11And if the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead is living in you, he who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through his Spirit, who lives in you. 12Therefore, brothers, we have an obligation—but it is not to the sinful nature, to live according to it. 13For if you live according to the sinful nature, you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the misdeeds of the body, you will live

Question 1: To whom is Paul speaking?

Drew's answer: To Christian believers
Dave answer: Please insert your answer here

Question 2: Verse 13 promises something to those who put to death the misdeeds of the body through the Spirit. What is it that is promised to such people? (Remember unless you want to toss a hand grenade into the sentence, we have Paul promising something to, yes, those who put to death the misdeeds of the body through the Spirit).

Drew's answer: Eternal life (escaping from the mortality of the body)
Dave answer: Please insert your answer here

Free said:
I think James 2 is pretty clear that there is an association between both good works and faith with regards to justification. There is a reason Luther didn't care for James' epistle.

Luther had problems with James when he was young and couldn't yet reconcile both Paul and James. He later accepted James as legit. You're right, James two is pretty clear, but we need to be careful with the context. When James says "show me" and "I'll show you", the point is clear. Just saying one has faith is in and of itself not faith. I'll quote Macarthur an that passage from my study Bible. He does a good job with that passage.

From the Macarthur Study Bible (James 2:23-24)...

This does not contradict Paul's clear teaching that Abraham was justified before God by grace alone through faith alone (Romans 3:20, Romans 4:1-25, Galatians 3:6,11)

James could not mean that Abraham was constituted righteous before God because of his own works because...

1) James already stressed that salvation is a gracious gift (James 1:17-18).

2) In the middle of this disputed passage (v23), James quoted Genesis 15:6, which forcefully claims that God credited righteousness to Abraham solely on basis of his faith (also see Romans 1:17; Romans 3:24; Romans 4:1-25).

3) The work that James said justified Abraham was his offering up of Isaac (Genesis 22:9,12), an event that occurred many years after he first exercised faith and was declared righteous before God (Genesis 12:1-7; Genesis 15:6). Instead, Abraham's offering of Isaac demonstrated the genuineness of his faith and the reality of his justification before God. James is emphasizing the vindication before others of mans claims to salvation. James' teaching perfectly compliments Paul's writing; salvation is determined by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9) and demonstrated by faithfulness to obey God's will alone (Ephesians 2:10) (JMSB)

Paul and James were not standing toe to toe, so to speak, arguing against each other. They were standing back to back defending the same Gospel truth against two different attacks.

Dave

francisdesales said:
Dave... said:
francisdesales said:
Indeed. We are righteous when we repent, not when we wash our hands before eating, refrain from pork, or have our child circumcised for the sake of following a written code, WITHOUT the internal dispositions.

Read it again. Who's righteousness?

21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all who believe. For there is no difference; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God set forth as a propitiation by His blood, through faith, to demonstrate His righteousness, because in His forbearance God had passed over the sins that were previously committed, 26 to demonstrate at the present time His righteousness, that He might be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.

Are you aware of the rules of the English language? When the bible says "God is righteous", it doesn't mean that it is mutually exclusive, so that NOTHING or NO ONE ELSE can be righteous. Sola fideists do the same thing with salvation by faith, and adding alone, when NOTHING is said about whether anything else is salvific, and thus, putting "alone" to the end of that phrase is a lack of understanding how language works.

Or would you prefer that I post the many instances that men are called righteous and just, throughout the bible?

Read it again, Francis. Who's righteousness?

francisdesales said:
Dave... said:
francisdesales said:
The bible NOWHERE tells us that God requires anything other than just ASKING for forgiveness with a humble heart.

Take it one step further. "The bible NOWHERE tells us that God requires anything other than just ASKING for forgiveness with a humble heart. [to be saved]" ---[to be saved] added by Dave

So we can just forget about the necessity of imputed righteousness that is alien to us. Great, it is a dead end street, anyway, since it is nowhere recorded in Scriptures about Christ's righteousness applied to us...

Inputed righteousness (lots of scripture that doesn't exist lol)
http://www.bible-topics.com/Righteousness-Imputed.html

Romans 4:24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;

Dave Wrote
Where in the Bible do we see the most profound example of God's justice, and His love and mercy, all manifesting themselves simultaneously? This is a very important question.

Jesus' death on the cross.

Why do you suppose it is that God had to use an act of justice as a means to show His love and mercy? Why didn't He just give the justice a pass, and just love?

Dave

francisdesales said:
Dave... said:
Where do you get this initial and end justifiation from? The bible talks about justified, not being justified.

And as I have pointed out, it's a finished righteousness. it is finished! That's what Jesus said. We are justified the moment we first believe. We cannot add to that to make it better.

From the Bible. Are we to believe that man is justified in God's eyes only one time? God sees a repentant man and he is ALWAYS just? Clearly, OT and NT does not support that idea. The righteous can fall away and become wicked, and their former righteousness is not taken into account. Abraham was justified AT LEAST THREE TIMES, according to the writers of the NT. David was just before his sin of adultery, and again, after his repentance. Obviously, he was not just while commiting greivious sins! That is ridiculous. We are being justified, sanctified. So says the Bible.

Regards

You certainly didn't prove anything.

Dave

Drew said:
Dave... said:
1 Corinthians 3:11-15 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire."

This text is specifically directed at church leaders and teachers. It is telling them that they will not lose their salvation if they bungle their responsibilities to build the church. But this hardly means that that they will not be judged according to good works and receive eternal life on that basis.

This is getting, well, out of hand. We call that grasping at straws, Drew.

Drew said:
glorydaz said:
Paul certainly did write those words..but he didn't write them in a vacuum, Drew. No one can "do" the whole law of God, and if you fail in one point you fail in all. Jesus is the only "doer" of the law, we are declared righteous when we believe...which is Paul's point. No man can be justified by obeying the law...we're justified by faith as Paul makes quite clear.
You are, of course, saying that Paul has told us something that is true of zero persons.

You are free to make that argument - that when, at multiple points in Romans 2, Paul speaks of people being justified by "good works" (or doing "the law"), then he must be speaking about something that will happen to no one.

I trust you realize how odd that is. You have Paul repeatedly talking about people being given eternal life (or being justified) based on what they do and you believe Paul thinks that actually zero persons will be justified in that manner.

Let me try that approach. Hmmmm. Well, when Paul says we are justified by faith, I am going to claim, following your approach gd, that actually zero persons are in the category of those who are justfied by faith.

Case closed.

Gee, that was easy......

It's easy to twist scripture when your hope is in yourself instead of the Lord Jesus Christ. We see it happen all the time. Somewhere a woman is tossing her baby into a crock's mouth hoping to be justified before God. Somewhere a man is lying on a bed of nails hoping to be justified before God. Somewhere a man is ridding the world of infidels hoping to be justified before God. Paul NEVER says man is justified by his own efforts to appease God. Never. James mentions man is justified in the eyes of men by good works, but that's as close to justification by works as you'll get anywhere in the Bible. Man calls them good works...God calls them abominations. Bildad asked the same question ...
Job 25:4 said:
How then can man be justified with God? or how can he be clean that is born of a woman?
We're justified FREELY by grace when we believe.
Romans 3:24-25a said:
Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood,
Paul makes it clear...it is not by "doing the law", for none can keep the whole law. No man is righteous before God...all have sinned. You like to ignore every verse that speaks of man's unrighteousness and claim he is only talking to the Jews. You are using Paul falsely...you are twisting his words the same way some Jews did in the Bible. There are no good deeds done by man (even with the empowering of the Holy Spirit) which justifies them before God. It was Christ's work on the cross, not your good deeds that take away sin, and SIN is the big problem with your contentions, Drew. We enter through the veil by the body and blood of Christ...that alone gives us access to God.

Dave... said:
Drew said:
[quote="Dave...":16njukrt]1 Corinthians 3:11-15 For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if anyone builds on this foundation with gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, straw, each one’s work will become clear; for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one’s work, of what sort it is. If anyone’s work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone’s work is burned, he will suffer loss; but he himself will be saved, yet so as through fire."

This text is specifically directed at church leaders and teachers. It is telling them that they will not lose their salvation if they bungle their responsibilities to build the church. But this hardly means that that they will not be judged according to good works and receive eternal life on that basis.

This is getting, well, out of hand. We call that grasping at straws, Drew.[/quote:16njukrt]

I agree. Paul says every man....the false doctrine being preached right here on this thread will be burned up, but those preaching it will be held accountable before God. Will they hear, "Well done good and faithful servant? I don't think so, because how many are being stumbled by what's being preached? That's the point, as believers, we all preach the Gospel. We don't need any certification to share the Good News of Christ. When we change the message in order to promote some other Gospel ...the foundational truths are corrupted by the "wisdom of men".

Dave... said:
francisdesales said:
So we can just forget about the necessity of imputed righteousness that is alien to us. Great, it is a dead end street, anyway, since it is nowhere recorded in Scriptures about Christ's righteousness applied to us...

Ha ha, none of it tells us that Christ's righteousness is applied to me.... Not a verse...

Christ says otherwise. Rather then twisting Paul to your destruction, read what Jesus says (I know that is rarely done by people of the imputed alien righteousness build.)

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:20

Believe in Christ's clear words or your own non-existent verses... Your choice.

Dave... said:
francisdesales said:
Are you aware of the rules of the English language? When the bible says "God is righteous", it doesn't mean that it is mutually exclusive, so that NOTHING or NO ONE ELSE can be righteous. Sola fideists do the same thing with salvation by faith, and adding alone, when NOTHING is said about whether anything else is salvific, and thus, putting "alone" to the end of that phrase is a lack of understanding how language works.

Or would you prefer that I post the many instances that men are called righteous and just, throughout the bible?

Read it again, Francis. Who's righteousness?

Where does it say Christ's righteousness is applied to me???

Dave... said:
francisdesales said:
From the Bible. Are we to believe that man is justified in God's eyes only one time? God sees a repentant man and he is ALWAYS just? Clearly, OT and NT does not support that idea. The righteous can fall away and become wicked, and their former righteousness is not taken into account. Abraham was justified AT LEAST THREE TIMES, according to the writers of the NT. David was just before his sin of adultery, and again, after his repentance. Obviously, he was not just while commiting greivious sins! That is ridiculous. We are being justified, sanctified. So says the Bible.

Regards

Dave

Sure I did. I told you earlier that Abraham was justified three times, once in Romans, once in Hebrews and once in James. The NT authors cite three different events in Abraham's life. Thus, justification CANNOT be just a "one time" event.

Romans 4

James 2

Hebrews 7

Thus, in the mind of the Scripture writers, righteousness and justification was an ongoing status. When one obeyed God from their heart through faith, they were deemed righteous, just.

Dave... said:
[3) The work that James said justified Abraham was his offering up of Isaac (Genesis 22:9,12), an event that occurred many years after he first exercised faith and was declared righteous before God (Genesis 12:1-7; Genesis 15:6). Instead, Abraham's offering of Isaac demonstrated the genuineness of his faith and the reality of his justification before God. James is emphasizing the vindication before others of mans claims to salvation. James' teaching perfectly compliments Paul's writing; salvation is determined by faith alone (Ephesians 2:8-9) and demonstrated by faithfulness to obey God's will alone (Ephesians 2:10) (JMSB)

Nope. Abraham was justified AGAIN, before God. Read the context of James.

WHERE is the audience, when Abraham is about to slaughter his son?
WHO is the Audience? GOD...
WHEN is he justified - AT THE ALTAR!
Was he justified when he set out? When he took his son and tied him up? Nope. ONLY when he was about to slaughter his son, God saw Abraham's heart was true and he was considered righteous IN GOD'S EYES!!!

"NOW I KNOW", God declares. There are no men present to be justified in front of. It is GOD who is the audience, and AT THE ALTAR, with no men present - Abraham is declared just yet again.

Thus, justification is not a one time event. The idea is contrived to attempt to twist the bible to fit a false theology.

Dave... said:
francisdesales said:

Regards

Dave
Except that he doesn't understand what being justified means.

Abraham was not justified "three different times". He was justified before God when he believed. He was justified in the sight of men when he offered up Isaac. David was justified once in the eyes of God...when he believed God. Jusitification does not make man righteous...except in the eyes of God. It's a one time event for each one of us. Only then can we enter into God's presence...not because we are good enough, but because Christ was.

Justified does NOT mean we become just...we must be IN CHRIST in order to be called just. We live in the JUST ONE and are declared righteous because of our position IN Christ. There are none righteous, so there are no "righteous" ones to turn wicked. We are only called righteous...counted as righteous. David was not righteous before his sin or after his sin.

Joe, you are not understanding what it means when the Bible speaks of the righteous man. It's positional, as I've said before. It all revolves around our being IN Christ when it comes to our justification before God. Man has whereof to glory in good deeds....BUT NOT BEFORE GOD.

francisdesales said:
Ha ha, none of it tells us that Christ's righteousness is applied to me.... Not a verse...

Christ says otherwise. Rather then twisting Paul to your destruction, read what Jesus says (I know that is rarely done by people of the imputed alien righteousness build.)

For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven. Mat 5:20

And there were none more "righteous" than the scribes and pharisees who obeyed the law. He is referring to the need for a circumcised heart. Even with that, we can have NO CONFIDENCE in the flesh.
Philippians 3:3 said:
For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.
True, "your" righteousness must exceed theirs...and Jesus goes on to show what that takes. You can't call anyone a fool. You must love your enemies and bless them that curse you....do good to them that hate you, and pray for those that despitefully use and persecute you.

Jesus goes on to say, we must be as perfect as our Father in Heaven. Is that something you're able to do, Joe? Has there ever been a man able to be perfect? Jesus clearly says our righteous not only must exceed the scribes and pharisees, but we must be perfect. His point is made clear.

We see the contrast between true righteousness with that of the scribes and pharisees. There is an even higher standard for righteousness than what they had, because purity of heart is required before anyone shall see God. Purity, not just trying to obey or having a few venial sins here and there. Purity of heart....
Matthew 5:21-26 said:
Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire. Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

francisdesales said:
Where does it say Christ's righteousness is applied to me???

We see here our "position" IN Christ.
I'm giving this quote from Young's Literal...perhaps it will be a little clearer.
Christ became righteousness to us....so that no flesh could glory, and we would glory in the Lord, alone.
1 Corinthians 1:29-31 said:
that no flesh may glory before Him; and of Him ye -- ye are in Christ Jesus, who became to us from God wisdom, righteousness also, and sanctification, and redemption, that, according as it hath been written, `He who is glorying -- in the Lord let him glory.'

I'll give this from the Literal as well...His righteousness to all and upon all those who believe.
Romans 3:21-23 said:
And now apart from law hath the righteousness of God been manifested, testified to by the law and the prophets, and the righteousness of God [is] through the faith of Jesus Christ to all, and upon all those believing, -- for there is no difference, for all did sin, and are come short of the glory of God --

francisdesales said:
Sure I did. I told you earlier that Abraham was justified three times, once in Romans, once in Hebrews and once in James. The NT authors cite three different events in Abraham's life. Thus, justification CANNOT be just a "one time" event.

Romans 4

James 2

Hebrews 7

Thus, in the mind of the Scripture writers, righteousness and justification was an ongoing status. When one obeyed God from their heart through faith, they were deemed righteous, just.

Using that rule, Joe, Christ must have been crucified four different times since it was spoken of in all four gospels.

glorydaz said:
francisdesales said:

Romans 4

James 2

Hebrews 7

Using that rule, Joe, Christ must have been crucified four different times since it was spoken of in all four gospels.

I thought I was speaking to someone who actually knew something about the Scriptures, rather than someone who has memorized a few verses taken out of context to invent a false "gospel"... Sorry.

James 2, Hebrews 7 and 11, and Romans 4 refer to different points of Abraham's life. Not to the same point, as Christ's crucifixion. A simple reading of the Scriptures will make this quite clear. They do not all refer to Genesis 15. Abraham was also considered and declared just and righteous in Genesis 12, and then again, at the altar in Genesis 22.

My point stands. Justification is an ongoing process where man is seen as just in God's eyes. As man obeys and walks in the Lord through trials and tribulations, God consideres him just. Righteous.

Oh yes... Righteous. Abraham was righteous.

glorydaz said:
Abraham was not justified "three different times". He was justified before God when he believed. He was justified in the sight of men when he offered up Isaac.

He was justified in the sight of GOD. I have already made this painfully obvious that there was no audience of men at the altar and AT THE ALTAR, God justified Abraham. Why are you being so obstinate?

glorydaz said:
David was justified once in the eyes of God...when he believed God.

One who reads Romans 4 carefully will see that David was also justified on several occasions...

glorydaz said:
Jusitification does not make man righteous...except in the eyes of God.

Correct. The Bible doesn't care about being righteous in the eyes of men, if it doesn't ALSO take into account in God's eyes.

glorydaz said:
It's a one time event for each one of us.

And Scriptures disagree, making you again wrong.

glorydaz said:
Only then can we enter into God's presence...not because we are good enough, but because Christ was.

Baloney. You clearly are missing the point of the Gospel. We don't need to be perfect - and this consideration begins with the first sacrifices offered to God by Abel...

God found Abel's sacrifice pleasing, WAY before Christ died on the cross... I would be citing nearly the entire OT to point out that God is pleased with man's sacrifice, obedience, repentance, and actions, albeit they are not always perfect. God is quite aware of our abilities, and does not expect absolutely perfect obedience.

I ask you, as I asked Dave. Please cite me ONE Scripture verse that says I must be perfect before God accepts a man's heart-felt repentance. JUST ONE!!!

yet again, you based this scheme on so many falsehooods and assumptions that just are not backed up by the Bible. You are enslaved by a tradition of men that moves you from God's Word.

glorydaz said:
Justified does NOT mean we become just...
[/quote]

You are being silly, aren't you... God says we are justified, but we aren't justified. :gah

What GOD says is good is good. What God says is just is just. Get over it and stop disagreeing with God.

Positional, smositional. it is an invented scheme to explain away what God can clearly do - MAKE transformed men and women in Christ. When we are in a position in Christ, we are literally Just. ME. I am just in God's eyes as I am in Christ. where does the Bible state that if I am in Christ, I am not actually just?

If I may state a slight deviation from Scriptures:

"people of christianforums", let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he (CHRIST) is righteous. 1 John 3:7

Let no GD deceive you. Let no Dave decieve you. "Unless MY righteousness exceeds the Pharisees, one cannot enter the Kingdom". MY righteousness, NOT Jesus. Note, JESUS HIMSELF says this. You are contradicting the Word of God with your traditions of men. Good luck with that as you stand before the "white throne"....

glorydaz said:
And there were none more "righteous" than the scribes and pharisees who obeyed the law.

WRONG!!!

And this, you should know. Righteousness is NOT about obeying the LETTER of the Law, but the SPIRIT of the Law. Jesus explains for 3 chapters how wrong one is to merely obey the letter, but not the intent.

Consider adultery.

The Pharisees had changed the spirit of the law to the literal letter. "As long as I do not have penetration of another man's wife's vagina, I am obeying the Law". And trust me, the Jews LITERALLY discussed what WAS "Penetration" and what was not in the Mishna... It was about obeying a set of rules, a written code, rather than the spirit - which is about not even having LUST for another woman. That was the intent of God's Law. Not even LOOKING at a woman, much less penetrating her vagina.

Jesus was saying "this mindset does not lead to righteousness". One must be more righteous than merely following the written code, thinking one could lear at a woman, flirt with her, and even ask for and RECEIVE oral sex, (I kid you not...) but not break the Law!!!

it is crude, yes, and I apologize for those with soft stomachs, but that's the facts of life. Jesus is asking for a righteousness that exceeds THAT interpretation of working around the Word of God to satisfy one's passions. THEY MUST BE CRUCIFIED!

glorydaz said:
He is referring to the need for a circumcised heart. Even with that, we can have NO CONFIDENCE in the flesh.

Indeed on the first sentence. Wrong on the second. The Bible doesn't tell us we cannot repent or believe - it commands that we do... That's a presumption from the "total depravity" scheme, another false interpretation from Scriptures. God doesn't give us commands that we cannot possibly obey. Granted, we cannot do them WITHOUT His help and promptings, but this is because God DESIRES that we be saved, and will provide us with the help to BECOME righteous. My righteousness (because of the Spirit) must exceed the Pharisees' idea of righteousness.

glorydaz said:
True, "your" righteousness must exceed theirs...and Jesus goes on to show what that takes. You can't call anyone a fool. You must love your enemies and bless them that curse you....do good to them that hate you, and pray for those that despitefully use and persecute you.

AGREE! Wholeheartedly! AND that is my righteousness, moved by God's Spirit - the transformation that takes place within ME!

glorydaz said:
Jesus goes on to say, we must be as perfect as our Father in Heaven. Is that something you're able to do, Joe?

You are misunderstanding Jesus' point. He didn't go on and on about what we must do to be righteous, only to tell us "forget about it, you must be absolutely perfect". That goes against what the Bible says over and over. We must be holy, an IMAGE of the Father's Holiness, not an exact duplicate. We must rend our hearts, be humble, seek out God and have faith in Him. There is no need to be perfect before God offers forgiveness. We just don't find that in the Scriptures, OT or NT. Numerous examples abound.

We are a holy nation, correct? We are set apart, in view of the world, but not of the world. Does being a holy nation, a holy people, mean we are all perfect? NO! It means we are God's, set apart (which is what holy means - to set apart for God's purpose).

God is holy and we also must become holy.

glorydaz said:
We see the contrast between true righteousness with that of the scribes and pharisees.

I am not sure that you do. Jesus clearly tells us we must be righteous - TRULY righteous, pure of heart! Blessed is he who is pure of heart. Meek and humble. Poor in spirit. God accepts human meekness and human humility, when it is truly from the heart. Not mere obedience to a code, while chasing skirts...

Your scheme disconnects morality from religion, ironically. IT PREVENTS a man from becoming righteous, because you already have your "fire insurance" policy. WHY become sanctified???

francisdesales said:
Dave... said:
francisdesales said:

"Ha ha, none of it tells us that Christ's righteousness is applied to me.... Not a verse..."

Conveniently, you left out the "verse" that I posted along with the link. So editing out the verse provided, and then claiming "not one verse" is dishonest. Why do you go to such obvious dishonest extremes?

Seriously Francis, has your righteousness exceeded that of the Scribes and the Pharisees? I'll also want to know the extent of the righteousness of the Scribes and the Pharisees, since you must know that too if you're going to make that judgment, right? Maybe exceeding the righteousness of a Scribe of a Pharisee is no different than exceeding the righteousness of a pedophile priest.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back