Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Questions about the bible.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Curious

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?

Christianity is not about looking to the sickness/evil going on the your left/right/behind/front. Christianity is about finding Christ in the midst of the human sewage and finding everlasting life in His Kingdom despite the attempts to physically/spiritually murder us.

Why would a loving God make it like a puzzle?
Hi Curious,
Sorry for the delay.
Your post if very thoughtful.

I don't know what you think God made into a puzzle.
The only really important information you could take away from the bible is how to be with God after death.
That is made very clear...both in the O.T. and the N.T. it is faith in God that saves.
IOW...what sense would it make to be with a God a person doesn't even believe in...or believes in his mind that God exists but doesn't give Him a second thought.

If you are a 12-year-old boy being sodomized by a priest, then indeed the love of god is a massive puzzle. Equally, if you are 12-year-old girl being raped by your pastor, God is indeed a puzzle.

This is not a puzzle.
God didn't rape either the boy or the girl...another human being did.
Christians look up to Jesus if they wish for an example....they do not look to other human beings because those that truly live as God would want them to are few and far between...and those who do what you speak of are nowhere near the God of the universe but are following the wiles of the evil one.

I have a friend who killed himself because God clearly stated that homosexuality is a terrible sin worthy of death. He obeyed God and killed himself.

Did God have his phone number?
How did he obey God when God's commandment is that we are not to kill, including ourselves.
He didn't obey God...he obeyed his tortured conscience and the pressure of society and maybe problems within his family.
Movies make homosexuality look attractive and fun,,,but many have problems with this ... it is a damage that some have and not everyone can deal with it. I'm very sorry for your friend...he should have found strength in God instead. Maybe the problem is that God is not taught properly in some homes/schools/churches/bible studies, etc. Maybe we teach a God that doesn't exist...

God has a very high opinion of males and a very low opinion of females. Why is that?

I think cultures have differing opinions of males and females. I do believe God loves all His creation or He would not have created us. The bible teaches that God loved the whole world and so gave His Son....the sacrifice is for everyone, not just males.
The bible tells us that God loved us while we were yet sinners...not just males but females too.
At the time of Jesus women were looked down upon...as were those that were not of the Jewish faith.
But, if you know anything about the New Testament, Jesus spoke to women just as He would men...and He forgave them just as He forgave men. He loved His women followers just as He loved His male followers.

Ravi Zacharias was a great proponent of Christianity, I have watched many of his talks. But he is a liar (No degrees) a rapist, a blackmailer, and just an all-around fraud. Yet, despite all this, Christians are debating if the man is in heaven or not.

I haven't heard about this debate.
I'd say that we should leave that decision up to God...
but we're taught that evil persons will not be seeing God.
And, BTW, Christians are not perfect persons....
Please don't judge Christianity by persons....
but by what Jesus did for humanity.

John Macarthur, of grace for you, condemns the greed of televangelists, yet owns three homes and has an income that would make your eyes water.

And he's not the only one.
I will say this....pastors usually take about 10% of the income of a church.
If a church can make a million $ a year,,,,10% is 100 thou.
If it makes 50 million a year...10% is 5 mil.
Personally, I don't hold this against them...as long as they do with their money what we're all expected to do with it...
use some to better the human condition.

Yet if you read the Gospel according to Jesus, written by John and which I have read, he condemns those who don't give up everything to follow Christ.

You're referring to The Rich Young Ruler. Matthew 19:16-22
Jesus doesn't expect me to give up my car and home and whatever material goods I may have.
The reason Jesus told the young ruler this is because of a theological idea regarding this passage. I'd be happy to go over it
but only if you wish...

James Dobson a well-known Christian Identity, interviewed Ted Bundy just before he was executed. Bundy repented, and if the Bible is correct is now in heaven. Meanwhile, those he raped and murdered are roasting in hell if they haven't repented.

God forgives. He's a just God.
Man has a problem forgiving...we do not have the justice of God but man's justice.
This is not an easy concept for a non-believer to understand.
If we are truly sorry for something we did, then God does forgive us. However, the chances that a person so evil could truly repent is not a usual occurrence. Only God knows if Bundy truly repented.
And if those he murdered were not believers,,,then they probably are not with God.
But we can't know this,,,only they know this.
The whole idea is faith...
faith saves.
I read of Christians praising God because they prayed and he gave them a parking spot, meanwhile a young woman who was being raped daily by her dad prayed to god for years to escape - but no word or action from a god.

I agree with you. Christians tend to attribute everything to God and thank Him for everything...just as those in the Old Testament did. I agree that this is a little silly,,,but, OTOH, it's nice that they have someone to thank. These are usually new Christians that have not encountered any problems yet...

It's important to understand that God does not come into our time (God is out of our time frame) every moment of the day.
This does not mean that He is not there...many times we may receive help from Him and maybe not even know it...
The little girl should have looked for help....and prayed.
The town was flooded and the man went up on his roof.
He prayed to God for help.
A boat came by but he said he was waiting for God.
A helicopter came by but he said he was waiting for God.
He was drowning now and asked God sadly...why He didn't come to save him.
God replied...." I sent you a boat and a helicopter...what more could I do?"

Starving children bu the millions have met the same result. Jesus told those who followed Him to give up all they have and follow him, but very few people ever do. Thank goodness most people take the Bible with many grains of salt, I have yet to meet a Christian who doesn't.
Don't look to other humans.
Just decide what YOU want to believe.
Did everything come about on its own....
or did something create it?

I have just finished reading the bible from Genesis to revelation (it was quite enjoyable, though reading through the genealogies was a bit of a mission) and have loads of questions.
For starters, to become a Christian do I need to believe that that the creation story in genesis actually happened as recorded in Genesis?
Nope. that's nothing but "Historical Theology".

To become a Christian You have to be DRAWN to Christ by God, Convicted of your SIN, and of judgement by the Holy Spirit, Surrender, REPENT of your sin and call on God in FAITH (that HE gifts) to apply Jesus' SIN OFFERING to your life. He will then indwell you with the Holy Spirit (which is what makes you a Born Again Christian), and everything will change. You'll be a "New Creation" in Christ.

THEN you can take Jesus' YOKE upon you and start learning of HIM. The Bible, the Church (other Born Again Christians), and prayer will be the tools/resources you'll use to GROW in Christ, and mature Spiritually.

A good course of action is to get with an Evangelical pastor (Baptist, Assembly of God, etc.) talk with Him about it.

No. Read Acts 2 where Peter preached to the crowd on the Day of Pentecost. When the crowd were cut to the heart they asked, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" Peter answered, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ." Also, Paul's answer to the Philippian Jailor later in Acts when the jailor asked, "What shall I do to be saved?" Paul said basically the same thing, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ." This means simply to believe that the Jesus of the Gospels is who He said He is, believe that He did really rise from the dead, and to turn to Him to be your Saviour. As a result of this simple act of embracing Him, the Holy Spirit will come into you and start to transform you into the person He intends you to be.

Then, as you grow in grace and knowledge of God, the other questions will be answered.

Hey.
Before responding to every point of disbelief you may have, it would be much more relevant to talk about you and your motives. Do you feel like becoming a Christian? If so, why?

Hey.
Before responding to every point of disbelief you may have, it would be much more relevant to talk about you and your motives. Do you feel like becoming a Christian? If so, why?
Hi Degas and welcome to CF

Sometimes it's easier when one is seeking to talk about their disbeliefs in order to search for truth, especially when this forum is called Questions From Seekers.

To understand this part of the bible is irrelevant, science says there was a flood and i have seen a few documentaries on it. Honestly it doesnt matter, about history, what matters is future and the spiritual seeds you sow for your future. To believe in God is good but now there is nothing different between you and an atheist. You need to seek guidance from God, and stop reading the bible with doubts and uncertainty of knowledge and insight. This is why you have lots of questions. Meditate on the bible and ask The Holy Spirit for guidance and insight.

Maybe God didn't give you no faith.
But then again, he did.
What did you do with it?

To understand this part of the bible is irrelevant, science says there was a flood and i have seen a few documentaries on it. Honestly it doesnt matter, about history, what matters is future and the spiritual seeds you sow for your future. To believe in God is good but now there is nothing different between you and an atheist. You need to seek guidance from God, and stop reading the bible with doubts and uncertainty of knowledge and insight. This is why you have lots of questions. Meditate on the bible and ask The Holy Spirit for guidance and insight.
There is nothing irrelevant in the word of God as believing He is creator of heaven and earth is very important in knowing God's sovereignty. One might not understand it all at first, but it is a part of who God is. Before and even after one accepts Jesus as their Lord and Savior and are baptized in the Holy Spirit they will have many questions as we all do. There is never any stupid questions as we are forever seeking truth.

No.

Being a "Christian", is to be born again.

Jesus said...>"you must be born again".

This is a spiritual situation whereby God's Holy Spirit joins your spirit, and you become : "One with God", spiritually.

So, thats the "theological" and "literal" reality.

The WAY you do this is to BELIEVE in Jesus, knowing that He is the savior and you need to be forgiven all your sin.
And if you will BELIEVE< then God will take your faith and give you forgiveness and salvation.
"All that call on the name of Jesus , shall be saved".
"to as many as believe on Jesus.....God gives them the power to become a Son of God".
This is to be "saved".
To be "saved" is to be "made righteous"= by God based on the blood and death and resurrection of Jesus.

The simple way to understand this.....is..........If you take Jesus as your savior, by FAITH... then God takes you and makes you His own.

No. As you said, it's the creation story, not scientific dogma. The point that many miss is that the creation story is primarily about God. In the beginning God created..."

To become a Christian you have to believe that Jesus paid the penalty for your sins -- all of them -- and that you accept this payment on your behalf. Then you must accept that you have been adopted into God's family and are regarded by Him as sinless. You don't need to necessarily believe any doctrine, but to let the Holy Spirit lead you as you go through life.

Well this is a seeking subforum.
That Christians are no more stupid than anyone else, is hardly reassuring.
I'm not about to take responsibility for answering all your doubts and questions. The truth is we don't have good answers for many things. Including the mystery of suffering.
I know to sit in your place is easier than defending the faith. The Bible is not inerrant. And there are contradictions.
I place my faith in the mysterious sacrificial love of the cross. For me, truth is more subjective than objective. Have Jesus in your heart, and you will not be lost. In my opinion. But I respect truths in other religions. My preference will always be Christianity.

Do you realize how many scriptural errors is in your post?! Wow. A lot,

I believe the story of Jonah being swallowed by a whale was literal. But...Brother, You said it was not literal but simply illustrates deeper spiritual truths. Okay, I'll bite. Tell me about the spiritual truths of the allegorical Jonah. ;)

[ACMP=reminder]
I want to quickly remind everyone that this is not a debate forum and replies should be addressed to the OP's questions. If you wish to discuss the literal vs allegorical meanings of Jonah, please start a new thread in the appropriate forum. Thanks.
[/ACMP]

No He said for God so loved the world He gave His only begotten son that whosoever believes on Him will have every lasting life. They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.”. Just start with Christ.. ask Him.. if He is SO real.. He is the only one that loves you died for you. All the thief did was say "remember me".
What Christ starts in you HE WILL FINSIH.. JESUS Christ is REAL!

Yes.
If you can't believe what is written on page one, how are you ever going to believe what is written on any other page?

Yes.
If you can't believe what is written on page one, how are you ever going to believe what is written on any other page?

I disagree. What do you mean by "believe"? If you're going to believe Genesis literally then you are going to run into problems, as there are logical contradictions. The Bible is a collection of spiritual "books" that is meant to teach us about the Godhead and their ways of interacting with people. It is not meant to be a factual, historical narrative.

If you read it with an open mind and heart, personally accepting what it says without trying to analyze it or determine it's logical truth or falsehood, you will be on the right track.

I disagree. What do you mean by "believe"? If you're going to believe Genesis literally then you are going to run into problems, as there are logical contradictions. The Bible is a collection of spiritual "books" that is meant to teach us about the Godhead and their ways of interacting with people. It is not meant to be a factual, historical narrative.

If you read it with an open mind and heart, personally accepting what it says without trying to analyze it or determine it's logical truth or falsehood, you will be on the right track.
If one doesn't believe that, how can they believe anything else?
After doubting the garden of Eden, then comes the flood and Noah's arc, then Jonah and the whale.
The final straw...doubting the resurrection of Jesus after three days in the grave.
Then only destruction for past sins remains to be doubted.

Start with doubt, end with doubt.

If one doesn't believe that, how can they believe anything else?
After doubting the garden of Eden, then comes the flood and Noah's arc, then Jonah and the whale.
The final straw...doubting the resurrection of Jesus after three days in the grave.
Then only destruction for past sins remains to be doubted.

Start with doubt, end with doubt.
Reductio ad absurdem...

Back