Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

'Speaking in Tongues', true vs false.

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
In any case, one way or the other, we must be careful to adhere to Biblical instruction, which you presented, and pastors must be strong and brave enough to make corrections where needed. If they were known for doing that it would weed out the false I interpretations.

But, we have to remember not every one who calls themselves a Pastor has been called and anointed by the Holy Spirit. They follow a socially acceptable message (false Gospel) so they can remain popular with their congregation.

Reactions: JLB
But, we have to remember not every one who calls themselves a Pastor has been called and anointed by the Holy Spirit. They follow a socially acceptable message (false Gospel) so they can remain popular with their congregation.
No doubt about that!!

Having gone through various denominations and ultimately been led to join a conservative Reformed church, I do not believe there are any practical uses for speaking in tongues today. Yes, there was a purpose when the Holy Spirit came and alighted on the heads of the disciples, but in today's world there is no use for it. Also, I have heard people speak in what they call their "prayer language," and find it equally useless, and really it just sounds like gibberish. You don't need some special language to talk to God, just the language you are most comfortable using. God will understand you regardless. After all, He is the One who created language in the first place.

Having gone through various denominations and ultimately been led to join a conservative Reformed church, I do not believe there are any practical uses for speaking in tongues today. Yes, there was a purpose when the Holy Spirit came and alighted on the heads of the disciples, but in today's world there is no use for it. Also, I have heard people speak in what they call their "prayer language," and find it equally useless, and really it just sounds like gibberish. You don't need some special language to talk to God, just the language you are most comfortable using. God will understand you regardless. After all, He is the One who created language in the first place.

Knotical,

I'm convinced Scripture gives practical uses for and the value of speaking in tongues. There is use for the gifts of tongues and interpretation for these biblical reasons.

Have you ever experienced the 'prayer language' that enables you to call it 'gibberish'. I find that offensive.

Let's see what the Bible says about a special language by which one talks to God.

1 Corinthians 14 demonstrates there is a continuing benefit of speaking in tongues:
Follow the way of love and eagerly desire gifts of the Spirit, especially prophecy. 2 For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to people but to God. Indeed, no one understands them; they utter mysteries by the Spirit.... 4 Anyone who speaks in a tongue edifies themselves, but the one who prophesies edifies the church. 5 I would like every one of you to speak in tongues, but even more to prophesy. The one who prophesies is greater than the one who speaks in tongues unless someone interprets, so that the church may be edified. (vv 1-2, 4-5 NIV).

Even without interpretation in one's private devotional life, when people use the Holy Spirit's gift of tongues, they don't 'speak to people for edification but to God'. I've had a number of special times of speaking to God in tongues. This is God's word.

Paul wanted all Christians to speak in tongues but 'even more to prophesy'. What happens when a person speaks in tongues when the church gathers? There must be interpretation 'so that the church may be edified'.

A reason is given for why there needs to be the gift of tongues with the gift of interpretation when the church gathers: 'If then I do not grasp the meaning of what someone is saying, I am a foreigner to the speaker, and the speaker is a foreigner to me. 12 So it is with you. Since you are eager for gifts of the Spirit, try to excel in those that build up the church' (vv. 11-12 NIV).

I need to know the meaning of the statements in my native language, hence the need for interpretation when the church gathers. By the way, interpretation is not translation.

Oz

i will not call it gibberish but i don't need to speak in tongues to pray. praying in the Holy Ghost is not speaking in tongues .

Jerry,

How do you deal with this Scripture?

Love should be the goal of your life, but you should also want to have the gifts that come from the Spirit. And the gift you should want most is to be able to prophesy. 2 I will explain why. Those who have the gift of speaking in a different language are not speaking to people. They are speaking to God. No one understands them—they are speaking secret things through the Spirit (1 Cor 14:1-2 ERV).​

'You should want to have the gifts that come from the Spirit'. One of those is 'the gift of speaking in a different language' which is 'not speaking to people' BUT is 'speaking to God'.

You would be 'speaking secret things through the Spirit'.

This is God's word.

Oz

that is your interpretation. i pray everyday and i hear from GOD and he understands me

Jerry,

What I stated was based on the exegesis of the text of 1 Cor 14:1-5. To slam me with 'that is your interpretation' is a no-interpretation throw-away phrase.

You've demonstrated nothing to show my interpretation was wrong, based on the grammar, syntax and context.

I also pray regularly in English but I'm obedient to what the Scriptures states, since God has given me the gift of tongues:
Pursue love and desire spiritual gifts, and above all that you may prophesy. 2 For the person who speaks in another language is not speaking to men but to God, since no one understands him; however, he speaks mysteries in the Spirit (1 Cor 14:1-2 HCJB).​

I'm being obedient to God when I speak to him in an unknown tongue, as I'm speaking mysteries in the Spirit or spirit. I want to be obedient to the Lord's gift that he has given me. For me to take the line you recommend and not pursue the gifts of the Spirit would be disobeying 1 Cor 14:15 (HCSB),

I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with my understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with my understanding.​

Paul urged all of us: 'Therefore, my brothers [and sisters], be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in other languages' (1 Cor 14:38 HCSB).

Your response to me reads very much like a rejection of 1 Cor 14:38.

Oz

Last edited:
I Corinthians 14 Paul gives instruction for the use of tongues being a Spiritual gift as it is still relevant to the church today throughout all nations. Acts 2 was the indwelling of the Holy Spirit as before the Holy Spirit only came upon those Prophets that gave prophecy, but never indwelled them.

The prophecy of Joel in Joel 2:28-30 has been fulfilled in Acts 2:1-18 as this Gospel is preached throughout the world even by those who know not anothers language, but the Holy Spirit speaks through them.
Yes, but it also will happen again, Mark 13:9-11
But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, do not premeditated, but whatsoever shall be given you IN THAT HOUR, that speak ye, for it is not ye that speak, But the Holy Spirit....
I believe, the HOUR of temptation...as also in Luke 21:12-19
For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist..

What I can't understand is , the Pentecostal tongue spoken in Acts, everyone understood in their own language.
In Cor. It speaks that you need an interpreter ....
Not the same to me.

I take it as, if you go to China and preach in the English language, how can they understand you? You would need an interpreter.
It would be as you are speaking to God, He understands all languages, the Chinese people may not speak English, thus, don't know if to say amen.
1Cor.14:16

Yes, but it also will happen again, Mark 13:9-11
But when they shall lead you, and deliver you up, take no thought beforehand what ye shall speak, do not premeditated, but whatsoever shall be given you IN THAT HOUR, that speak ye, for it is not ye that speak, But the Holy Spirit....
I believe, the HOUR of temptation...as also in Luke 21:12-19
For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist..

It will always keep happening as it was in the beginning will also be in the end and even now present day.

What I can't understand is , the Pentecostal tongue spoken in Acts, everyone understood in their own language.
In Cor. It speaks that you need an interpreter ....
Not the same to me.

I take it as, if you go to China and preach in the English language, how can they understand you? You would need an interpreter.
It would be as you are speaking to God, He understands all languages, the Chinese people may not speak English, thus, don't know if to say amen.
1Cor.14:16

The Spirit speaks through us in every language that is unknown to us for the purpose of lifting up and edifying the assembling and when this happens there has to be an interpreter within the assembling as like the Jews in Acts 2 who came from every nation heard them speak in their native tongue. I can see this in places of different languages within the assembling, but the only thing I can think of within the assembling of the same language would be to show what was spoken was truly from the Holy Spirit as another, also through the Holy Spirit, gives the interpretation.

Hope this makes sense, or at least it did in my head, LOL.

There are DIVERS kinds of Tongues, as was pointed out.

That Paul was writing metaphorically about "though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels" does not in and of itself mean there are no tongues in angelic languages.

Tongues, prophecy, interpretations, and Word of Knowledge are written of as things that WOULD CEASE when THAT WHICH IS PERFECT had come.

Telios being perfect, complete or mature. There are those who claim THE PERFECT came when the New Testament was completed, uh, when was THAT?

Scholars disagree, and who has t h e AUTOGRAPHS anyway?
Acts 2:39 says the promise is to all that are afar off.

The promise, the gifts, continue until something unmistakably PERFECT, COMPLETE, and MATURE arrives. Hasn't occurred yet.

. To slam me with 'that is your interpretation' is a no-interpretation throw-away phrase.
understand this... it was not a slam i do not operate that way.. once again i dont have to pray in tongues ..i only know english thus i speak english. some time i ask the Lord to help me. the holy spirit takes to the throne of grace of what i really need . corinthians is the only book that covers tongues in details .Romans philippians galatians Ephesians none covers speaking in tongues. the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray .thus we have the model prayer. which is not the Lord prayer . the Lord prayer is found in john 17 . if you feel the need and the spirit is prompting to pray in tongues go for it .. i just come from a hospital where i prayed for a man who may not pull through the night. o prayed with his wife. had i prayed in tongues as you insist . she would not have understood .. so i only stated facts it was your interpretation

understand this... it was not a slam i do not operate that way.. once again i dont have to pray in tongues ..i only know english thus i speak english. some time i ask the Lord to help me. the holy spirit takes to the throne of grace of what i really need . corinthians is the only book that covers tongues in details .Romans philippians galatians Ephesians none covers speaking in tongues. the disciples asked Jesus to teach them to pray .thus we have the model prayer. which is not the Lord prayer . the Lord prayer is found in john 17 . if you feel the need and the spirit is prompting to pray in tongues go for it .. i just come from a hospital where i prayed for a man who may not pull through the night. o prayed with his wife. had i prayed in tongues as you insist . she would not have understood .. so i only stated facts it was your interpretation

Jerry,

You distorted what I said. I never suggested anything like going to a hospital to pray for a sick man and praying in tongues. That's a straw man.

What was the apostle Paul's view of tongues and also speaking in his native language?
'Well then, what shall I do? I will pray in the spirit, and I will also pray in words I understand. I will sing in the spirit, and I will also sing in words I understand' (1 Cor 14:15 NLT).​

There is no contradiction in private praying in the Spirit/spirit and praying in English. Paul used both approaches to prayer. Remember he had the gift of tongues and taught us:

Don’t forbid speaking in tongues. But be sure that everything is done properly and in order (1 Cor 14:39b-40 NLT).​

I used to believe as you do until the Holy Spirit gave me the gift of tongues in the early 1970s. I know what it is like to convert from a cessationist to a continuationist position on the gifts of the Spirit.

Oz

i will not call it gibberish but i don't need to speak in tongues to pray. praying in the Holy Ghost is not speaking in tongues .

Romans 8:26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities: for we know not what we should pray for as we ought: but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. 27 And he that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because he maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

Our prayer language given by the Holy Spirit is for things we do not know how to pray for as the Holy Spirit makes intercession for us before the Father. It's a very Spiritual fellowship that draws you so close to God when you are praying. I love praying in tongues as I feel the Spirit of God inside of me. It's a feeling that is hard to explain unless you have experienced it.

I also love singing in tongues and dancing in the Spirit as the Holy Spirit engulfs me.

Back