Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

What does it mean to be Born-Again?

Is it okay to post my website's posts here?

• Total voters

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
"Born again" is a different thing altogether. The word "again" says that a thing is repeated.

Yes another birth is required.

A spiritual birth.

Jesus is dealing with the typical Jewish mindset that thinks being a natural descendant of Abraham means they are “blessed”.

JLB

Yes another birth is required.

A spiritual birth.

Jesus is dealing with the typical Jewish mindset that thinks being a natural descendant of Abraham means they are “blessed”.

JLB
The important matter is in why the rebirth is necessary for them. If the translation says that Nicodemus must be born again, then it tends to imply that everybody must be born again, which is not consistent with the teaching of Romans 7:9.

The key is understanding that nobody is born with the Jewish mindset, but the spiritual death came as a result of their idolatry, effectively: they believed their religion was their salvation, but because they did not practice the religion in truth (Mark 7:13), sin took advantage and killed them (Romans 7:10-11,13).

The translation "born from above" does not naturally imply that everybody is not already born of the spirit to begin with, whereas the English language tends to lead a reader to assume that babies are not "born again", and that is where the false teaching of Christianity has its root.

If the translation says that Nicodemus must be born again, then it tends to imply that everybody must be born again, which is not consistent with the teaching of Romans 7:9.

Everyone must be born again, born of the Spirit, to have eternal life.

Since you have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit in sincere love of the brethren, love one another fervently with a pure heart, having been born again, not of corruptible seed but incorruptible, through the word of God which lives and abides forever. 1 Peter 1:22-23

Whoever believes that Jesus is the Christ is born of God, and everyone who loves Him who begot also loves him who is begotten of Him. By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and keep His commandments. For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments. And His commandments are not burdensome. For whatever is born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world—our faith. Who is he who overcomes the world, but he who believes that Jesus is the Son of God?
1 John 5:1-5

JLB

If the translation says that Nicodemus must be born again, then it tends to imply that everybody must be born again, which is not consistent with the teaching of Romans 7:9.

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? Certainly not! On the contrary, I would not have known sin except through the law. For I would not have known covetousness unless the law had said, “You shall not covet.” But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good. Romans 7:7-12

So you don’t believe Paul was born again?

What is it in verse 9 that leads you to believe everyone doesn’t need to be born again?

JLB

Well, now John 3:5 says quite a different thing again. Jesus is now saying a man cannot enter the kingdom of heaven unless he is born of the spirit and of the water. Keep in mind what He says in Luke 13:25: "many will try to enter but will not be able to". So, seeing the kingdom of God and entering into it are two different things. There is proof of this in Luke 13:26.
John 3:1-6
1Now there was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews;
2this man came to Jesus by night and said to Him, “Rabbi, we know that You have come from God as a teacher; for no one can do these signs that You do unless God is with him.”
3Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

4Nicodemus said to Him, “How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?”
5Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. 6“That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

I agree that verse 3 should be BORN OF ABOVE. This I find in the YLT, in some other translations, and in the Italian translation which is close to the Greek meanings.
Also, I believe born again to be a modern idea but I don't find it to be totally different than born of above...They both mean that we are to be born two times....once in the flesh and once in the spirit as we read in verse 6.

Being born again (even if it means baptism) describes a second birth which is of the spirit...
Being born of above describes a birth which must come after our natural birth and means to be born of the spirit of God.
I don't really see a difference in the two expressions.

Now to:

Luke 13:22-27
22And He was passing through from one city and village to another, teaching, and proceeding on His way to Jerusalem. 23And someone said to Him, “Lord, are there just a few who are being saved?” And He said to them,
24“Strive to enter through the narrow door; for many, I tell you, will seek to enter and will not be able.
25“Once the head of the house gets up and shuts the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock on the door, saying, ‘Lord, open up to us!’ then He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know where you are from.’
26“Then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets’;
27and He will say, ‘I tell you, I do not know where you are from; DEPART FROM ME, ALL YOU EVILDOERS.’

I don't quite understand why you've posted the above in regards to being born again.
The door is narrow and few will find it.
Jesus will say DEPART FROM ME ALL YOU EVILDOERS.

Jesus Himself did not use the expression born again or born of above except for a few times. He concentrated more on letting us know HOW to be born from above,,,,,HOW to enter into the Kingdom of God (here). However, we MUST be born of above, OR born of the spirit because our works ALONE will NOT get us into heaven.

Faith without works is dead.... James 2
Works without faith are dead....

Well, now John 3:5 says quite a different thing again. Jesus is now saying a man cannot enter the kingdom of heaven unless he is born of the spirit and of the water. Keep in mind what He says in Luke 13:25: "many will try to enter but will not be able to". So, seeing the kingdom of God and entering into it are two different things. There is proof of this in Luke 13:26.
Re seeing the Kingdom of God...
It is not visible to those that are NOT born of the spirit.
It is only visible and accessible to those that ARE born of the spirit.

Re seeing the Kingdom of God...
It is not visible to those that are NOT born of the spirit.
It is only visible and accessible to those that ARE born of the spirit.
That is where we differ. It is visible to those who are born from above. Nobody can enter it except by water and by spirit. You have assumed that the water means physical birth. I do not make that assumption.

So you don’t believe Paul was born again?
Where did you get this idea from? (perhaps you aren't aware of the spirit working in you to turn you against me where it ought not be happening).

What is it in verse 9 that leads you to believe everyone doesn’t need to be born again?
The fact that Paul says he was alive before the commandment came, then sin came to life (hence the need to be born again). Therefore, He was already alive spiritually before the commandment came and sin sprang to life.

That is the fact that children are already born with spiritual life, because they have not done sin. Then, as sin spreads to all, so does the death, that they then need to be born again.

Where did you get this idea from? (perhaps you aren't aware of the spirit working in you to turn you against me where it ought not be happening).

Im just trying to understand your statement that says...

Especially this part of your statement —

“then it tends to imply that everybody must be born again, which is not consistent with the teaching of Romans 7:9.”

Im not against you. Just trying to understand what your teaching.

Is it your belief that not everybody must be born again?

If so, why?

JLB

The fact that Paul says he was alive before the commandment came, then sin came to life (hence the need to be born again). Therefore, He was already alive spiritually before the commandment came and sin sprang to life.

That is the fact that children are already born with spiritual life, because they have not done sin. Then, as sin spreads to all, so does the death, that they then need to be born again.

So your saying it is children who do not need to be born again?

JLB

You have assumed that the water means physical birth. I do not make that assumption.

it’s not an assumption, it’s a statement made by Jesus.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:5

Can we at least agree that the phrase... “that which is born of flesh is flesh”, refers to natural birth?

JLB

Is it your belief that not everybody must be born again?

If so, why?

Yes. It is only required if the person has become spiritually dead in sin.

So your saying it is children who do not need to be born again?

Exactly!

Good!

it’s not an assumption, it’s a statement made by Jesus.

I don't see it that way.

Can we at least agree that the phrase... “that which is born of flesh is flesh”, refers to natural birth?

Only if you want to stop there. Jesus was especially generous in His speech, permitting them to leave gracefully at hard teachings.

Yes. It is only required if the person has become spiritually dead in sin.

Ok.

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— Romans 5:12

This would mean all men are born spiritually dead.

Not because they sinned, but because Adam sinned, and his sin spread to all his offspring; ie all men.

JLB

Only if you want to stop there. Jesus was especially generous in His speech, permitting them to leave gracefully at hard teachings.

We don’t need to to stop, just trying to find a point of agreement.

That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. John 3:5

Its just a question.

Do you believe the phrase “that which is born of flesh is flesh”, refers to natural birth?

JLB

Ok fair enough that makes sense

The more i've learnt about our different views on salvation the more i see that it's the same outcome. U guys get baptized, right, so its the same outcome.
And we have faith in Christ, right, so it's the same outcome also.

And we all agree that without good works we aren't saved either despite nuances in the way we view that.

Do you agree with this?
"By grace alone, in faith in Christ’s saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping us and calling us to good works"

It's the doctrine that the Catholic and Lutheran churches come to an agreement on in 1999, endorsed by the "reformed churches"

That is exactly what means to me
While I was reading this thread I could tell the presence of the Lord was here - and I have only read the first page
It is beautiful.
Blessings to you all. I am going to carry on reading now.

Ok.

Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— Romans 5:12

This would mean all men are born spiritually dead.

Not because they sinned, but because Adam sinned, and his sin spread to all his offspring; ie all men.

JLB
No, see you are reading it that way that I am specifically opposed to. Romans 5:12 says that death spread to all men because all sinned. It is because of their sin that death comes upon them, just as James 1:13-15 says too.

You say that sin spread from Adam upon all men, and I agree, but it is exactly how and when that we do not agree about. You believe that it is magically imputed to them, so that they are judged as guilty of a thing their ancestor did, right? I don't believe that teaching, and in fact, I fight against it.

We don’t need to to stop, just trying to find a point of agreement.

Its just a question.

Do you believe the phrase “that which is born of flesh is flesh”, refers to natural birth?

JLB
I believe Jesus wanted to convey something much bigger to Nicodemus, but that Nicodemus couldn't receive it.

Back