Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

WHY DID GOD GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?

Mitspa--Then WHY did you cite I Jn.3:9 if not to disprove that I Jn.1:8 teaches that Christians can sin? So now you are "well trained in the Greek". What are your credentials? And what does the present active mean?
Because both are true! and when one understands that both are really true one can understand the difference between walking in the "flesh" and walking in the "spirit"!

Now as far as showing or citing credentials, you just go ahead in the Greek and explain the point YOU STARTED!

Last edited by a moderator:
Once again:
2.5: Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.

Also:
2.4: No Trolling:

You will not post anything that disrupts the peace and harmony of this forum. Don't make inflammatory remarks just to get a response.

2.14: Please do not use the message board to air your grievances against other fellow members. If you have observed a violation of the Terms of Service please let a Moderator or Administrator know.

Keep this about the discussion, guys. Not each other.

Mitspa--

Very well I shall. The present tense verb doeth ( poieo ) indicates that the child of God does not practice sin as an established and settled mode of life.

Have a blest night, got some chores before bedtime.

Mitspa--

Very well I shall. The present tense verb doeth ( poieo ) indicates that the child of God does not practice sin as an established and settled mode of life.

Have a blest night, got some chores before bedtime.

I think since you are "off to your chores", and we have kinda got off track, I think I will let the scripture speak as is. God Night and may Gods Blessings be upon you!:)

No man can walk in the "spirit" with a "sin conscience" no man can walk in the "spirit" and be under law! One must "reckon" themselves dead indeed to sin and "alive" to God in the "spirit"!

Rom 6:6

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7

For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8

Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10

For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11

Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It takes faith to believe Christ bore all our sins on His Cross! If one can believe that they will be set free from sin!:biglol

No man can walk in the "spirit" with a "sin conscience"

Note of factual christian existence:

Hebrews 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Believers who say they have no sin do not speak truthfully and do not have a true heart.

Paul said he was the chief of sinners post salvation, that he had evil present with him post salvation and even had a devil in his flesh post salvation.

Paul spoke truthfully, with a TRUE heart.

no man can walk in the "spirit" and be under law! One must "reckon" themselves dead indeed to sin and "alive" to God in the "spirit"!

Paul put every N.T. believer under the LAW in Romans 13:8-10.

The LAW also remains written against the 'evil present' with us.

s

Re: The old man and the new man..

Who are you? that I should answer too?

James 5:16
Confess your faults one to another,

If a believer can not speak truthfully to another believer, they should remain suspect of being a believer. They may very well be under control of the deceiver when they can't speak truthfully.

s

Note of factual christian existence:

Hebrews 10:22
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.

Believers who say they have no sin do not speak truthfully and do not have a true heart.

Paul said he was the chief of sinners post salvation, that he had evil present with him post salvation and even had a devil in his flesh post salvation.

Paul spoke truthfully, with a TRUE heart.

Paul put every N.T. believer under the LAW in Romans 13:8-10.

The LAW also remains written against the 'evil present' with us.

s
You miss the point? did you read all the post? And a believer is not supposed to have a "sin conscience"
A "true heart" who is true you, or God? No man is true only God and what agrees with Him.

By the way good morning:salute smaller
I think the question about a "true heart" is a good one!

Heb 13:8

Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Walk in His Love for you, and love others as He loves you!
This is all the law!

You miss the point? did you read all the post? And a believer is not supposed to have a "sin conscience"

I try to take my measures of scriptural facts from those who gave them to us in His Word.

You have provided Paul's statements. I take those statements are factually applicable for myself also.

Paul was the chief of sinners post salvation. Paul had evil present with him post salvation. Paul had a devil in his flesh post salvation.

I can go easily to the facts of the first two statements as personally applicable to me as well, without any doubting whatsoever.

I do not perceive in particular, personally, the last one as that was a specific placement of a devil upon Paul to remind him of his own factual infirmity, dishonor and weakness which was THAT DEVIL.

A "true heart" who is true you, or God? No man is true only God and what agrees with Him.
I accept the disclosures on factual matters of sin, personally applied. It is also a matter than I put forth to know other believers who may actually be truthful in this arena and of which there are...

FEW.

As it pertains to the TEN COMMANDMENTS, The Spirit of God in Christ in any believer will NOT deny a single Word of God.

Paul placed every one of us who believe under ALL of them in Romans 13:8-10. Of this there can be no doubt in any common reading of that matter.

Believers do not murder, steal, covet, commit adultery or violate ANY other commandment when they FOLLOW THE LAW as Paul laid out.

enjoy your mourning!

s

Last edited by a moderator:
No man can walk in the "spirit" with a "sin conscience" no man can walk in the "spirit" and be under law! One must "reckon" themselves dead indeed to sin and "alive" to God in the "spirit"!

Rom 6:6

Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin.
Rom 6:7

For he that is dead is freed from sin.
Rom 6:8

Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him:
Rom 6:9

Knowing that Christ being raised from the dead dieth no more; death hath no more dominion over him.
Rom 6:10

For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.
Rom 6:11

Likewise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus Christ our Lord.

It takes faith to believe Christ bore all our sins on His Cross! If one can believe that they will be set free from sin!:biglol

Satan is so busy corrupting the Gospel of Grace he doesn't have to do much else to believers to keep them in bondage. He has them living in fear of eternal punishment, on the hamster wheel of lost, repent, saved, lost, repent, saved, or if I'm saved it's because God chose me and I didn't have a choice, or etc. So many doctrines and traditions. We keep looking at ourselves instead of just beholding Jesus. So much self-righteousness, it's all pride no matter how we look at it. We as men are of the nature to do this anyway. We need not to dig up the old man that has died in Christ. We need to behold Jesus living in the new man that He created. My spirit is just like Jesus, in this world. My soul is being renewed, transformed into what my spirit in Christ as already become. My true idenity is my spirit, one with the Holy Spirit who dwells in me. I have come into His rest and I need to stay right there for that is where all that I need to live a Godly life pleasing to God is. I thank God for the Apostle Paul and his enlightenment. Paul understood grace. We need to stop denying the new man. We need to stop going to the cementary and digging up the old man, that God says is dead. This is such wonderful news, how could it get so corrupted? The deceiver, the thief, the liar, the Accuser of the brotheren.

WHY DID GOD GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?

To show His Chosen their sinfulness and that ultimately, the Lord Jesus Christ would come and on their behalf fulfill it, and make it Glorious

Isa 42:21

The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he[Jesus Christ] will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

That was God's Primary Purpose for the Law, that it would be magnified and mad honourable by His Son the Lord Jesus Christ !

Satan is so busy corrupting the Gospel of Grace he doesn't have to do much else to believers to keep them in bondage. He has them living in fear of eternal punishment, on the hamster wheel of lost, repent, saved, lost, repent, saved, or if I'm saved it's because God chose me and I didn't have a choice, or etc. So many doctrines and traditions. We keep looking at ourselves instead of just beholding Jesus. So much self-righteousness, it's all pride no matter how we look at it. We as men are of the nature to do this anyway. We need not to dig up the old man that has died in Christ. We need to behold Jesus living in the new man that He created. My spirit is just like Jesus, in this world. My soul is being renewed, transformed into what my spirit in Christ as already become. My true idenity is my spirit, one with the Holy Spirit who dwells in me. I have come into His rest and I need to stay right there for that is where all that I need to live a Godly life pleasing to God is. I thank God for the Apostle Paul and his enlightenment. Paul understood grace. We need to stop denying the new man. We need to stop going to the cementary and digging up the old man, that God says is dead. This is such wonderful news, how could it get so corrupted? The deceiver, the thief, the liar, the Accuser of the brotheren.

Good post!
2Pe 3:15

And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
2Pe 3:16

As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
2Pe 3:17

Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
2Pe 3:18

But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.

and:amen

Obeying the Ten Commandments helps keep us out of trouble. They are a gift.

Obeying the Ten Commandments helps keep us out of trouble. They are a gift.

Rom 7:7

What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.

Rom 7:8

But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
2Co 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8

How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9

For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

The strength of sin is the Law!

Rom 3:19

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Rom 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
Rom 3:21

But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
Rom 3:22

Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Not sure of your point?

What scriptures you have for this comment ?

This 'example' has been put up many times in this thread.

Romans 13:
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Are the TEN Commandments therein? Only if one is blind could they say they are not. Not only the Ten, but any command in the entirety of the scriptures are summed up by Paul in the above.

If any believer understands any command as Paul depicts, they have no use or need to deny a single Word or any Command of God. It is all summarized therein and our understandings should be very very simple not only to perceive, but to 'walk in' and 'obey.'

Any child can be led in this way because it is so simple.

The commands, any of them, only get twisted in the minds of those who do not see them as Paul handed same to us all.

If there is any question about any command in the entire text, simply refer to Paul's simplicity to find understandings.

It was the exact same revealing that Jesus gave as well:

Luke 10:
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

That man saw CORRECTLY. So what? He was in fact a twisting LAWYER of the LAW. It was even stated that he really sought to justify himself. (sound familiar?)

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

What then did this LAWYER do? He sought to justify himself by asking Jesus 'who' his neighbors were. And was given an 'example,' one of the most famous and repeated examples in the text about the differences with both a priest and a Levite and finally, 'the good Samaritan,' in ACTIONS.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him.

Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

The exercise of LAW is the heart exercise of expressed LOVE and MERCY. Those who believe EXERCISE these matters and in actions, they are in fact 'legally obedient.'

The priest and the Levite obviously didn't get the picture. They and many others still don't get it.

s

This 'example' has been put up many times in this thread.

Romans 13:
9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Are the TEN Commandments therein? Only if one is blind could they say they are not. Not only the Ten, but any command in the entirety of the scriptures are summed up by Paul in the above.

If any believer understands any command as Paul depicts, they have no use or need to deny a single Word or any Command of God. It is all summarized therein and our understandings should be very very simple not only to perceive, but to 'walk in' and 'obey.'

Any child can be led in this way because it is so simple.

The commands, any of them, only get twisted in the minds of those who do not see them as Paul handed same to us all.

If there is any question about any command in the entire text, simply refer to Paul's simplicity to find understandings.

It was the exact same revealing that Jesus gave as well:

Luke 10:
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.

That man saw CORRECTLY. So what? He was in fact a twisting LAWYER of the LAW. It was even stated that he really sought to justify himself. (sound familiar?)

28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

What then did this LAWYER do? He sought to justify himself by asking Jesus 'who' his neighbors were. And was given an 'example,' one of the most famous and repeated examples in the text about the differences with both a priest and a Levite and finally, 'the good Samaritan,' in ACTIONS.

36 Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him.

Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

The exercise of LAW is the heart exercise of expressed LOVE and MERCY. Those who believe EXERCISE these matters and in actions, they are in fact 'legally obedient.'

The priest and the Levite obviously didn't get the picture. They and many others still don't get it.

s
Ok smaller! you are right that the "law" is fulfilled in "love"!
Where does this "love" come from? can a man in the "flesh" produce this "love" or must a man die to the "flesh" and walk in the "Spirit"? In the "Spirit" the Love of God is shed abroad in "our Hearts", then by "the Spirit" we "love" and fulfill the Law!

Gal 5:14

For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Gal 5:15

But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
Gal 5:16

This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
Gal 5:17

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

Gal 5:22

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
Gal 5:23

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
Gal 5:24

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
Gal 5:25

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

No one can be set free from the "law" unless they die to the law and have and live by the "Spirit"

Gal 6:2
Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

We who have been set free from the law of moses
have entered into "the Law of the Spirit" - "The Law of Christ"- "The Royal Law"

The Cross is a "Eternal work" where all flesh must die! Only that which is of the "Spirit" can enter into the Kingdom of God!

Mitspa:angel3

Ok smaller! you are right that the "law" is fulfilled in "love"!

It's not me Mitspa. God in Christ will tell you, from His Words, the exact same things. And they should 'ring true' with you if He is in you, which I believe is probably the case with all of us who post here.

This should not be an issue of contention. It is a Godly Matter in the heart.

Where does this "love" come from? can a man in the "flesh" produce this "love" or must a man die to the "flesh" and walk in the "Spirit"? In the "Spirit" the Love of God is shed abroad in "our Hearts", then by "the Spirit" we "love" and fulfill the Law!

I don't deny that whatsoever.

Gal 5:17

For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
Gal 5:18

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

These things sooner or later become a question of WHY we don't, don't they?

Gal 5:23

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
The Law was not written AGAINST the Spiritual Matters of same. Against such things there IS NO LAW.

The Law is against the LAWLESS things.

Even though eternal matters of LOVE, of GRACE of MERCY, of FAITH of FORGIVENESS are in the LAW, they are not against the LAW nor is the LAW opposed to these things.

But NO LAW can instill them. They are instilled and installed in our hearts by God in Christ Himself.

So when we say we are not 'under the Law' we are not 'lawless' when we 'do and exercise' those matters by Him in us. That yoke is LIGHT and should be NO BURDEN for us to bear.

Do we say we are not under the Law then? Only as it pertains to avoiding LAWLESSNESS. The LAW is not 'against' LEGAL MATTERS.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.
There are 'reasons' that this is a daily exercise.

Why? Because that LUST is there to crucify, every single day.

There is understandings that we are not 'just' on the good side of the ledgers in these matters.

We are in fact in continual contentions, even as our predecessors of faith showed us for themselves. Those are in fact 'internal' matters too.

Gal 5:25

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

No one can be set free from the "law" unless they die to the law and have and live by the "Spirit"Gal 6:2

Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.

We who have been set free from the law of moses
have entered into "the Law of the Spirit" - "The Law of Christ"- "The Royal Law"

There is no difference between The Law of Moses whatsoever and what Paul moves us to in understandings.

Those who think they somehow eliminate the Law of Moses just show they don't know how to comprehend same. And in the end, they simply end up DENYING the Words of God.

Here is what Jesus SAW in the LAW. And why wouldn't He? It was Jesus who GAVE THOSE WORDS:

Matthew 23:23
Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

If believers don't see these matters in the LAW and instead FALSELY toss it, even seeing Paul DID NO SUCH THING they only serve to reveal another BLIND Pharisee in themselves.

The Law is not against GOOD THINGS. There is no LAW against such matters, nor can there be.

The Cross is a "Eternal work" where all flesh must die! Only that which is of the "Spirit" can enter into the Kingdom of God!

Mitspa:angel3

Well, there are also matters of judgment to enter into as well, in order to understand WHY we are not 'better at it' isn't there?

s

Again smaller you seem only to agree? to then disagree?

You make no "biblical" point! I am saying They are TWO men in every believer!
The "old man" which is the "flesh"
The "New Man" which is "Spirit"

Now the "old man" must be put to death! this is done by "Faith" in the Word of God!

The Word says "Reckon" yourself dead to the Law. How does one do that? By faith!
You cannot look to the "law" and look to Christ at the same time!

2Co 3:6

Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
2Co 3:7

But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
2Co 3:8

How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
2Co 3:9

For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
2Co 3:10

For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
2Co 3:11

For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

The Ten Commandments can ONLY make you GUILTY!
They have NO POWER to make you righteous!

Only Faith in Christ and His Righteous Work can make us Righteous! ALL BY FAITH in the "Spirit"

Again smaller you seem only to agree? to then disagree?

You make no "biblical" point! I am saying They are TWO men in every believer!
The "old man" which is the "flesh"
The "New Man" which is "Spirit"

Tell me, who blinded the 'old man' prior to belief? Read 2 Cor. 4:4

Tell me, from 'who's power' was Paul turned from? Read Acts 26:18

Take a simple look at those two scriptures. Tell me, who does those things?

Then tell me why you would see only the 'flesh man' or the 'old man' in either case?

If you see that much, you may see the power of lawlessness and 'who' is at the core of that matter.

If you need a finishing touch to it, read 1 John 3:8 and the connection should be most obvious.

flesh man, old man, adamic nature, ego, blah blah blah

Those are all fancy dancing past the obvious. And I just happen to know who the swinging partner is in all such exercises.

s

Back