Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

WHY DID GOD GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?

This is God's Word -

1 Now the Lord called to Moses, and spoke to him from the tabernacle of meeting, saying, 2 "Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: 'When any one of you brings an offering to the Lord, you shall bring your offering of the livestock--of the herd and of the flock. 3 'If his offering is a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male without blemish; he shall offer it of his own free will at the door of the tabernacle of meeting before the Lord. 4 Then he shall put his hand on the head of the burnt offering, and it will be accepted on his behalf to make atonement for him. 5 He shall kill the bull before the Lord; and the priests, Aaron's sons, shall bring the blood and sprinkle the blood all around on the altar that is by the door of the tabernacle of meeting. Leviticus 1:1-5

Do you obey God's word when you sin?

Do you follow these instructions given to by God?

JLB

It appears that some do not understand that if one tries to be justified by any part of the law that they are required to keep ALL THE LAW!

some I think believe that they can just pick and choose what they want to obey in the law and ignore the rest?

No! the law is all the law or its none of the law!

I thought Paul made that very clear in Gal!

Every part of the law is required to be justified by the law!
from Gen to Mal. its are the law!

Hebrews 10:16
This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them;

Yes it is very odd that the OLD TESTAMENT points to the law? Then GOD came and suffered and died on the Cross To set us free from the law of sin and Death! Its called the NEW COVENANT WRITTEN IN HIS BLOOD.

Interestingly enough...

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

now all who look to the law, are enemys of the Cross! you are in rebellion against Christ and you are not in faith!

I wouldest see some scriptures here, please.

Sorry to be the one to let you know, but its the Grace of God that has set us free from sin.

I am already quite well aware that grace has has set me free from sin. It has set me free by paying the penalty for my transgressions of the law...

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Christ did not come to free us from the law, He came to free us from the penalty of the law. We are no longer under the law in the sense that we are no longer under the death sentence that breaking the law brings. To say that the law is done away is in direct contradiction with...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The same Jesus Christ you say freed you from the law here plainly states that the law will be in full force and effect until heaven and earth pass away. When I left this morning to come to work, the stars were shining and the earth was solid beneath my feet. Guess what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Interestingly enough...

Jer 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
Jer 31:32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
Jer 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
Jer 31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

Heb 8:8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
Heb 8:9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
Heb 8:11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
Heb 8:12 For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.

I wouldest see some scriptures here, please.

I am already quite well aware that grace has has set me free from sin. It has set me free by paying the penalty for my transgressions of the law...

1Jn 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Rom 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Rom 6:14 For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace.
Rom 6:15 What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid.
Rom 6:16 Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?
Rom 6:17 But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

Christ did not come to free us from the law, He came to free us from the penalty of the law. We are no longer under the law in the sense that we are no longer under the death sentence that breaking the law brings. To say that the law is done away is in direct contradiction with...

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Mat 5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

The same Jesus Christ you say freed you from the law here plainly states that the law will be in full force and effect until heaven and earth pass away. When I left this morning to come to work, the stars were shining and the earth was solid beneath my feet. Guess what?

So according to your understanding, we are free from the penalty of the law, but we are still under the law? thats just rligious double talk! kinda under the law but not really?

Yes! Christ fulfilled every jot and tittle of the law, and only by walking in the spirit can anyone satisfy the righteous requirements of the law! How does one walk in the spirit? by dying to the law with Christ and walking in the spirit of life.

So which part do you guys claim was not fulfilled by Christ?

Because either He fulfilled every jot and tittle or He fulfilled none of it?

So if you have to keep a part of it, you have to keep all of it!

Which commandments are still effective in your understanding?

the 10 commandments? the sabbath? which part of the law do you pretend that you keep?

So according to your understanding, we are free from the penalty of the law, but we are still under the law? thats just rligious double talk! kinda under the law but not really?

Yes! Christ fulfilled every jot and tittle of the law, and only by walking in the spirit can anyone satisfy the righteous requirements of the law! How does one walk in the spirit? by dying to the law with Christ and walking in the spirit of life.

Nope, no double talk there either?

lol

Denying on one hand what you claim to keep on the other is quite plainly ridiculous.

So which part do you guys claim was not fulfilled by Christ?

Because either He fulfilled every jot and tittle or He fulfilled none of it?

So if you have to keep a part of it, you have to keep all of it!

Which commandments are still effective in your understanding?

the 10 commandments? the sabbath? which part of the law do you pretend that you keep?
I wonder how many phony caricatures can be put up about the LAW?

The entire SUM of the LAW is laid out for every believer to follow and adhere to in Romans 13:8-10.

Does doing that then make us sinless? Uh, no.

The Law also remains against every act and action of lawlessness within and without.

Is a believer against lawlessness, sin and evil? duh. Is the Law also against murder, theft, adultery, lust, etc etc? again, duh.

How then is the LAW against Grace in this regards? It's not. Not even possible.

What then is THE LAW is always the question to address first and foremost.

And in the case of accurate vision, WHO is the answer.

Jesus Himself was WORD/LAW in FLESH.

If The Spirit of Christ is in us, then so is EVERY WORD OF GOD.

People can hang their false suppositions and self made effigies of the LAW all the day long and claim THAT IS IT, as 'they' see it.

That is not the case NOR do their false self made effigies of the LAW mean a single thing.

The Law is SPIRITUAL and is understood, followed and adhered to in that way. Just as you also claim to do, follow and practice.

Hanging up worthless straw men of what the law is
in order to ridicule same is not a truthful discussion whatsoever.

Jesus was abundantly clear on 'how many' of Gods Words man will live by:

Luke 4:4
And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.

Remove a single jot or tittle from that equation and whoever does so is OUT OF LINE with their understandings.

Jesus' FACT is not going to change for 'any' man.

s

Rom 3:19

Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
Rom 3:20

Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.

Gal 3:10

For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
Gal 3:11

But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
Gal 3:12

And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Gal 3:22

But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23

But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24

Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.

I find it really hard to understand how satan has so blinded much of the "church" It seems so few understand what is so clear?:pray

You will notice that those who try to deny the lords work, and put believers back under law, love the scripture " that not one jot or tittle will pass away until its all fulfilled" also Christ said He came to FULFILL the law. These is clear in the rest of the New Testament, one must have a dishonest heart to reject the clear truth.

But some will say we are only under part of the law? usally the part they think they can do!

No! what the Lord was saying, was its ALL EVERY JOT AND TITTLE , ITS ALL THE LAW!

now if He did not fulfill it ALL? THEN WE ARE UNDER IT ALL! not the parts you and your little groups decide upon!

2 Cor 3 The ministry of death and condemnnation is replaced by the ministry of the Spirit and rightousness! The ministry of DEATH WRITTEN AND ENGRAVED IN STONE? ONLY THE TEN COMMANDMENTS WAS WRITTEN IN STONE!

Paul in Roms 7:7 quoted The commandment Thou shalt not covet, produced in us a desire to do the very thing we were commanded not to do! The strength of sin is the law! the law is not of faith!

These things are so clear! evident as Paul says! Only satan has blinded the minds and hearts of these poor people!

They know they cannot keep the law, yet they would condemn others with it? Ye hypocrites, ye pit of vipers!

1 John 2:7
Brethren, I write no new commandment unto you, but an old commandment which ye had from the beginning.

The old commandment is the word which ye have heard from the beginning.

Rom 7:7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
Rom 7:8 But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
Rom 7:10 And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
Rom 7:11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.

The strength of sin is the law!

Gal 3:21 Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.
Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.
Gal 3:23 But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.
Gal 3:24 Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.
Gal 3:25 But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.

Jesus Christ is the Word, and The Word is God!

If you do not keep Him as your righteousness you do Not nor have you ever kept any part of Gods Word.

If God Himself has justified you by His Own Blood, who can make a charge against you?

What part of the fact that God decides to who and when to show mercy is so hard for religious folks?

If God says, your not under law, then guess what? Your not under law! If God says the price for sin has been paid! then guess what? He is the One who decides!

If God says, I did this to show you I love you! Guess what? God loves you!

Dont let any religious man, or devil, nor angel seperate you from Gods Love for you!

1 John 2:14
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

1 John 2:14
I have written unto you, fathers, because ye have known him that is from the beginning. I have written unto you, young men, because ye are strong, and the word of God abideth in you, and ye have overcome the wicked one.

That was John's testimony of his spiritual children.

What is your Pastors testimony about you?

Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them." Galatians 3:12

...for whatever is not from faith is sin. Romans 14:23

JLB

That was John's testimony of his spiritual children.

What is your Pastors testimony about you?

Yet the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them." Galatians 3:12

All depends on what/Who you think the Law is doesn't it?

Romans 8:7
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

s

All depends on what/Who you think the Law is doesn't it?

Romans 8:7
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

s

Which one of those scriptures do you disagree with?

the law is not of faith, but "the man who does them shall live by them." Galatians 3:12

JLB

Some see only death in the Law and some see Life and some see both.

s

Some are confused and don't know how to answer a simple question because they don't know what their talking about.

The specific phrase Paul used to describe such a person -

... always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2 Timothy 3:7

That means in every day language - always learning about the truth but never experiencing the truth of the scriptures for themselves!

Let me ask you again -

Which one of these scriptures do you disagree with?

JLB

Originally posted by John 8:32,

I think some are confusing the Ten Commandments of the Old Covenant with the Law of God of the New Covenant. The fact is, there is a NEW Covenant with NEW laws, and that it is NOT fashioned after the OLD Covenant. This "New" Covenant is "not in accord" (Hebrews 8:9) with the Old Covenant, and the Old Covenant WAS "...even TEN COMMANDMENTS" (Deuteronomy 4:13) written upon two tables of stone.

But this "New Covenant" does have laws (Christians conveniently forget that :ohmy). It does have commandments. Hebrews 8:10 - "Imparting my LAWS... on their HEARTS..."

The Ten Commandments were written on stones, not on hearts. The laws of the New Covenant are NOT IN ACCORD with the laws of the Old Covenant. They are indeed different from the old law from which we "died" and now are "exempted" (Romans 7:4 and 6). They are Spiritual laws (Romans 7:14) and they are written "ON OUR HEARTS" (Hebrews 8:10).

The Spiritual laws of God are NOT the Ten Commandments. Anything spiritual or spirit will NEVER PASS AWAY. God's spiritual laws WILL NEVER PASS AWAY. The Ten Commandments are temporal, "taken away", "done away", not to continue. The 4th commandment: "six days shalt thou labour and do all thy work..." (Exodus 20:9).

Does anyone believe that we will work six days out of every seven throughout the ages of time? :bounceball:drool

Along with the change in the priesthood, there was also a necessity for a change in the law. There is no such thing as spiritually keeping a carnal law. Jesus wears a NEW garment and a new priestly robe. NOT according to that of Levi, but according to that of Melchizedek. Under the New Covenant we have a NEW priesthood, a NEW High Priest and NEW laws. NONE of them are reworkings or modifications of the old:

Hebrews 7:12 "For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a CHANGE also of THE LAW."

The New Testament is simply not a spiritual reworking of the Old Testament, but is rather a "CHANGE also of the Law." It is NOT simply "the spirit of the law of Moses":

Luke 5:36 ".....No man puts a piece of a new garment upon an old; if otherwise, then BOTH the new maketh a rent, and the piece that was taken out of the new agreeth not with the old."

In Matthew 5, Christ begins a series of six 'you have heard it said by them of old time...' followed by, 'BUT I say unto you...' In every case, the BUT I say unto you... is a dramatic change from "the law" which Christ quotes every time he says: "you have heard it said by them of old time..."

In many instances, Christ's teachings flatly contradict the law of Moses.

Christ didn't even bother to ask where the man was that was caught with the woman who was caught in adultery. Moses required the death of both, but Christ was changing things and actually refused to even consider the law in that case. Here is the law of Moses that Christ should have kept according to those who do not realize that Christ came as a reformer:

Deuteronomy 22:22 "If a man be found lying with a woman married to an husband, then they shall both of them die, both the man that lay with the woman, and the woman: so shalt thou put away evil from Israel."

Hebrews 9:10 "Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation."

UNTIL the time of REFORMATION. The "carnal" letter which is the law is all the Law of Moses had. There is no Biblical basis for saying that the New Testament is simply the spirit of the law of Moses. There is no spirit in the letter, and there was no mercy, and there was no faith in the letter.

Galatians 3:12 "And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them."

Hebrews 10:28 "He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses."

Christ "changed also the law." There was no mercy in the law of Moses. It was letter only. Christ's New Testament is now spirit and mercy. We are now commanded to love our enemies, and to not so much as lust after a woman in our hearts. If we so much as hate our brother we are now murderers. It is a "new commandment" and a change also of the law when it is compared to the letter of the law that is the "kill of your enemies every thing that breatheth":

Deuteronomy 20:16 "But of the cities of these people, which the LORD thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth."

And here we have,

Matthew 5:43 "Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy.
Matthew 5:44 BUT I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you."

It is now a sin to retaliate of demand an eye for an eye, because Christ has changed the law, and the new law teaches us to "turn the other cheek."

It is true that the law is spiritual, but which law is spiritual? The spiritual law is not being "done away" or "abolished." It is being established. They are the true High Priest and the true spiritual laws of God, not just the shadow. The physical priesthood and carnal laws of Israel were an inferior type of the spiritual and the heavenly realities that we have in Christ Jesus. They are all SPIRITUAL, and they are all NEW. They are not merely spiritual reworkings of the old.

Some are confused and don't know how to answer a simple question because they don't know what their talking about.

The specific phrase Paul used to describe such a person -

... always learning and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth. 2 Timothy 3:7

That means in every day language - always learning about the truth but never experiencing the truth of the scriptures for themselves!

Let me ask you again -

Which one of these scriptures do you disagree with?

JLB

Why do you think simple 'set up' either or limited construct 'choices' have anything whatsoever to do with the subject matter?

John 12:50
And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

s

It is true that the law is spiritual, but which law is spiritual? The spiritual law is not being "done away" or "abolished." It is being established. They are the true High Priest and the true spiritual laws of God, not just the shadow. The physical priesthood and carnal laws of Israel were an inferior type of the spiritual and the heavenly realities that we have in Christ Jesus. They are all SPIRITUAL, and they are all NEW. They are not merely spiritual reworkings of the old.

We can spin around in all kinds of manners about 'what' the Law of Moses is.

Paul encompassed EVERY COMMAND in the entire text simply, succinctly in Romans 13:8-10 and YES, he laid that on EVERY BELIEVER, period, beyond any questions.

From that point the LAW OF MOSES is a matter of 'how' one is led to READ same.

If it is read IN ACCORDANCE with Paul's understandings, the Spirit WILL YIELD up the understandings, not in CARNAL FASHIONS but in Spiritual simplicity.

That was the 'change in the LAW of MOSES.'

And yes, a CHILD can be entirely LEGAL in this way. Pity more adults can't read:

Galatians 5:14
For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

Oh, but that is sooo hard isn't it?

Paul hung every command in the scriptures under the DIVINE AXIOM above.

And those who do not and can not do that are....drumroll

utterly LAWLESS.

Pity, that.

s

Back