Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

WHY DID GOD GIVE THE TEN COMMANDMENTS?

According to Paul, citing Scripture, the power of sin to kill precedes the Law:

... sin is not accounted where there is no law. 14 Yet death reigned... Rom 5:13-14

Mitspa acknowledges the facts of sin working in adversity with the law as a rock solid fact, which it certainly is, but falsely presents that that working does not exist via 'believers' avoiding the law.

Not to mention he claims to be 'lawful' himself.

s

In what way, then, given that the power of sin is death, and death precedes the Law? (cf Rom 5:13-14)
No again I find you twist the scripture? The sting of Death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.

No again I find you twist the scripture? The sting of Death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law.
So citing Paul's Scripture and asking a straightforward question is twisting Scripture. Hm.

No, it's not twisting Scripture to ask a question challenging your viewpoint on it. It's simply thinking.

It's quite clear that the commandment on its own doesn't cause sin to come alive. The law simply shines a light -- it spotlights sin in its evil action of opposing the right. And thus it shows sin is alive and well and living in each person who reads the Law conscientiously.

As a result, all verses of Scripture conform well to the truth: Romans 5, Romans 7, and 1 Corinthians 15.

So citing Paul's Scripture and asking a straightforward question is twisting Scripture. Hm.

No, it's not twisting Scripture to ask a question challenging your viewpoint on it. It's simply thinking.

It's quite clear that the commandment on its own doesn't cause sin to come alive. The law simply shines a light -- it spotlights sin in its evil action of opposing the right. And thus it shows sin is alive and well and living in each person who reads the Law conscientiously.

As a result, all verses of Scripture conform well to the truth: Romans 5, Romans 7, and 1 Corinthians 15.

read your post again! and then read my post! telling part of a truth is not the whole truth. Read todays post, and you will see the conversation has gone past your point! The fact that the law shows all men to be sinners is not at issue! We are past 1st grade, and trying to get to a deeper point!

The commandment causes the sin in us to come alive and have strength over us. This point is made throughtout the New Testament.
For sin will not have dominion over you because you are not under law but under grace. The STRENGTH OF SIN IS THE LAW!

this so clear! yet it seems so hard for some to understand?

Romans 7:8-12

New King James Version (NKJV)

8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Hi WIP,

This is what you stated, "I hear you, Davies, but I think what they are trying to bring about is that we continue reading into verses 8-12."

Mitspa is right that sin abounds through the Law, but that doesn't mean we can't look at the law to see if we are walking by the Spirit. Just because I understand that I sin when I look at the Law, doesn't make the Law bad. If we look at the Law, and see that we sin, we know that we are not walking by the Spirit. As a Christian, I don't have to be afraid of looking at the Law any more, because I know that I'm no longer under the Law. As I continue repenting and growing in the grace of God and having known the Law, I come to a better understanding of God's grace and love Him all the more. If you take away the Law, then you undermine the Gospel. What does Romans 7:8 say? "But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire." This is the point Mitspa was making. The Law does not produce sin. Sin or the sin nature takes advantage of the Law and produces all manner of evil desire. I think this is why Paul says in Romans 7:7 that he would not have known sin except through the law. Paul was sinning internally, and didn't realize that it was sin. Thus, the purpose of the law was given to expose the sin that was already there, Romans 7:9. This is the problem with all unbelievers. They think they are better than they are, and for believers as well not realizing the sin that they commit, or they don't see they are not walking according to the Spirit. Again the point of what kills or what produces all manner of evil desire is sin: Romans 7:11 "For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it(law) killed me.

So as a Christian, the Law, now serves me in the manner as a tool to tell me whether or not I'm walking in the Spirit. If I allow the law to condemn me, then I'm no longer trusting in Jesus. Just because I look at the Law doesn't mean I'm trying to justify myself through the Law. It means I'm taking an honest appraisal of whether I'm walking in the Spirit or not.

- Davies

Romans 7:8-12

8 But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire. For apart from the law sin was dead. 9 I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died. 10 And the commandment, which was to bring life, I found to bring death. 11 For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it killed me. 12 Therefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy and just and good.

Hi WIP,

This is what you stated, "I hear you, Davies, but I think what they are trying to bring about is that we continue reading into verses 8-12."

Mitspa is right that sin abounds through the Law, but that doesn't mean we can't look at the law to see if we are walking by the Spirit. Just because I understand that I sin when I look at the Law, doesn't make the Law bad. If we look at the Law, and see that we sin, we know that we are not walking by the Spirit. As a Christian, I don't have to be afraid of looking at the Law any more, because I know that I'm no longer under the Law. As I continue repenting and growing in the grace of God and having known the Law, I come to a better understanding of God's grace and love Him all the more. If you take away the Law, then you undermine the Gospel. What does Romans 7:8 say? "But sin, taking opportunity by the commandment, produced in me all manner of evil desire." This is the point Mitspa was making. The Law does not produce sin. Sin or the sin nature takes advantage of the Law and produces all manner of evil desire. I think this is why Paul says in Romans 7:7 that he would not have known sin except through the law. Paul was sinning internally, and didn't realize that it was sin. Thus, the purpose of the law was given to expose the sin that was already there, Romans 7:9. This is the problem with all unbelievers. They think they are better than they are, and for believers as well not realizing the sin that they commit, or they don't see they are not walking according to the Spirit. Again the point of what kills or what produces all manner of evil desire is sin: Romans 7:11 "For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it(law) killed me.

So as a Christian, the Law, now serves me in the manner as a tool to tell me whether or not I'm walking in the Spirit. If I allow the law to condemn me, then I'm no longer trusting in Jesus. Just because I look at the Law doesn't mean I'm trying to justify myself through the Law. It means I'm taking an honest appraisal of whether I'm walking in the Spirit or not.

- Davies

One simple question my friend? How can one be under two contracts? One (the law) which makes you a sinner! The Other (NEW COVENANT WRITTEN IN HIS BLOOD) makes you righteous and justified by Faith In His Person and THE FACT that He FULFILLED ALL THE LEGAL REQUIRMENTS OF THE LAW!

So Paul would ask you as in Gal 2:17 If while we seek to be justified by Christ, we are found in the place of sinners, is Christ the minister of sin? IT CAN NOT BE!

Is Christ imputing sin to us , by the law? Blasphemy!

No Christ is imputing His Righteousness to us, who look to Him!

Its very simple, you cannot be a righteous saint, and be a sinner at the same time!

Now I am a carpenter, I may cut a board wrong or bend a nail! I may very often smash my own finger? Not as much as I used to! But I am still a capenter!

One simple question my friend? How can one be under two contracts? One (the law) which makes you a sinner! The Other (NEW COVENANT WRITTEN IN HIS BLOOD) makes you righteous and justified by Faith In His Person and THE FACT that He FULFILLED ALL THE LEGAL REQUIRMENTS OF THE LAW!

Hi Mitspa,

As Christians, we are under the New Covenant which is why I'm not afraid to evaluate myself through the Ten Commandments. I don't think the Law makes you a sinner. I think it reveals you are are a sinner.

So Paul would ask you as in Gal 2:17 If while we seek to be justified by Christ, we are found in the place of sinners, is Christ the minister of sin? IT CAN NOT BE!
I would say because the righteousness of Jesus has been imputed to my account, and my sin imputed to Jesus while on the cross, I'd say I was perfect. But like Paul, I have not attained or been perfected yet.

Philippians 3:12

Pressing Toward the Goal

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

Is Christ imputing sin to us , by the law? Blasphemy!

No Christ is imputing His Righteousness to us, who look to Him!
I agree with you all the way here.

Its very simple, you cannot be a righteous saint, and be a sinner at the same time!

Now I am a carpenter, I may cut a board wrong or bend a nail! I may very often smash my own finger? Not as much as I used to! But I am still a capenter!
I think you would agree with Paul that you have not attained to perfection yet. The sanctification process is life long until we pass from this life. Yet, I think we would both hold that we are currently justified by Jesus' imputed righteousness.

- Davies

Hi Mitspa,

As Christians, we are under the New Covenant which is why I'm not afraid to evaluate myself through the Ten Commandments. I don't think the Law makes you a sinner. I think it reveals you are are a sinner.

I would say because the righteousness of Jesus has been imputed to my account, and my sin imputed to Jesus while on the cross, I'd say I was perfect. But like Paul, I have not attained or been perfected yet.

Philippians 3:12

Pressing Toward the Goal

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.

I agree with you all the way here.

I think you would agree with Paul that you have not attained to perfection yet. The sanctification process is life long until we pass from this life. Yet, I think we would both hold that we are currently justified by Jesus' imputed righteousness.

- Davies

As you know, you and I agree on much? But I ask you again If Christ is not using the Law against you, why do you "evaluate" youself by a standard that He does not use to evaluate you with?

Why look to a standard that cannot give you strength over your own weakness? No! you must look to Christ and His grace for the strength over your sinful flesh!

The law cannot help you! It can only condemn you, and cause the flesh to have power over the spirit, within you!

The strength of sin IS THE LAW! you cannot reason yourself around this truth!

As you know, you and I agree on much? But I ask you again If Christ is not using the Law against you, why do you "evaluate" youself by a standard that He does not use to evaluate you with?

Why look to a standard that cannot give you strength over your own weakness? No! you must look to Christ and His grace for the strength over your sinful flesh!

The law cannot help you! It can only condemn you, and cause the flesh to have power over the spirit, within you!

Also the imputed righteousness of faith and "perfection" of the Spirit are two very different things! We are perfected by His perfect love! this is a process of spiritual growth! it is a fruit of the the righteousness of faith and the spirit. You press into perfection by the righteousness of faith. The law of Moses has no power to give any perfecton, that comes only by beholding the Glory of Christ, by the righteousness of faith!

I'm not looking to the Law to give me strength. It does tell me when I sin though. But I trust in Jesus to forgive me, and know the Law no longer has power to condemn me. I am looking to Christ as you consistently and rightly tell people to do.

- Davies

Thank you, Davies, for your reply. I think I understand but please correct me if needed. The law doesn't create sin in us but by exposing it, we become aware of the evil within us. We are now sinners whereas previous to the knowledge we were "innocent." I use the word "innocent" loosely.

Thank you, Davies, for your reply. I think I understand but please correct me if needed. The law doesn't create sin in us but by exposing it, we become aware of the evil within us. We are now sinners whereas previous to the knowledge we were "innocent." I use the word "innocent" loosely.

Hi WIP,

That is my understanding. The Law affords sin the opportunity to abound. Because of our sin nature, before the Law, we could not see sin so readily. Look at the flood. God found the imaginations continually evil in all of man on the earth, but Noah was faithful to God. If we didn't have such a problem with seeing our sins, then I don't think the flood would have happened. A good example of this can be seen when we first become believers. We think to ourselves, 'I'm going to do everything that God tells me to do,' only to find out, 'I can't do what God tells me to do,' Romans 7. The Law is perfect in bringing us to the foot of the cross, because the Law has no mercy and exposes any sin we have. Can you imagine if we didn't have the Law? If we have a problem with self-righteousness now, just think how self-righteous we would be without the Law. This is why Job is such a remarkable man. Job had a semblance of the Law in his heart, sacrificing animals just in case his children had sinned. He knew his nature and that of his children. I'm sure Job was the exception.

- Davies

Hi WIP,

That is my understanding. The Law affords sin the opportunity to abound. Because of our sin nature, before the Law, we could not see sin so readily. Look at the flood. God found the imaginations continually evil in all of man on the earth, but Noah was faithful to God. If we didn't have such a problem with seeing our sins, then I don't think the flood would have happened. A good example of this can be seen when we first become believers. We think to ourselves, 'I'm going to do everything that God tells me to do,' only to find out, 'I can't do what God tells me to do,' Romans 7. The Law is perfect in bringing us to the foot of the cross, because the Law has no mercy and exposes any sin we have. Can you imagine if we didn't have the Law? If we have a problem with self-righteousness now, just think how self-righteous we would be without the Law. This is why Job is such a remarkable man. Job had a semblance of the Law in his heart, sacrificing animals just in case his children had sinned. He knew his nature and that of his children. I'm sure Job was the exception.

- Davies

Again Paul would ask how can one who is justified by Christ be found a sinner by the law? I know you say it does not make you a "sinner" but shows you your sin! well the scriptures are clear that he who sins has not known Christ , that he who sins is of the devil! Whoever is born of God cannot sin!

Now you can look to the OLD COVENANT and it will point you to the law and your sin. The NEW COVENANT WRITTEN IN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST, will show you the righteousness of God, by faith.

The scriptures are clear THE STRENGTH OF SIN IS THE LAW!
everytime you think your being humble by finding your sin? your only causes more sin to be stired up within your flesh.

Religious pride says I can look to the law and justify myself based upon my own good deeds.
No man can say they see their sin by the law and not say they are trying to justify themselves by how well they do!

This is what James calls "double minded"

Hi WIP,

- Davies

And again I would ask what part of the law shows you your sin? To love the Lord with all your mind heart and soul?
How about keeping the sabbath?
What other part of the law do you allow that makes you sin?

every jot and tittle as Jesus said? or just the parts that you want to think is sin?

Also, why you are looking at your sin, by the parts of the law, that you think are still able to make you sin. Where is your righteousness of faith? Do you lay it aside long enough to feel your religious sense of guilt and shame?

Just think about what you are saying! That you are not trying to justify yourself by the law, but yet you say the law is showing you your sin?
Are you sure that your heart is in faith? For the law is not of faith!

WIP, heymikey80, smaller, anyone, help me. Something is interfering with the communication line between me and Mitspa.

And again I would ask what part of the law shows you your sin? To love the Lord with all your mind heart and soul?
How about keeping the sabbath?
What other part of the law do you allow that makes you sin?

The Law doesn't make me sin. It is the old man nature that would contend with the new man. As for the question, "what part of the law show you your sin?," take any one of them.

Also, why you are looking at your sin, by the parts of the law, that you think are still able to make you sin.
The reason I see my sin is because my head is not buried in the sand. Again, I reiterate that the law doesn't make me sin. Romans 5 makes it clear that sin kills and produces all manner of evil desire taking advantage of the Law. Both of us know that we are not perfect, and that's what Paul claimed as well. But we look forward to the inheritance that is found in Jesus.

Where is your righteousness of faith? Do you lay it aside long enough to feel your religious sense of guilt and shame?
Despite my sin, my righteousness is found in the trust in Jesus' life and death to satisfy the righteous requirements of the Law to the satisfaction of the Father. I do think I'm pretty low on the worthy scale, so much so, that the mustard seed of faith that has been given me produces in me such a hope when I consider that God would die and grant me His righteousness.

Just think about what you are saying! That you are not trying to justify yourself by the law, but yet you say the law is showing you your sin?
How is not justifying myself with the Law, inconsistent with the law shows me my sin? If I sin, I have an advocate with the Father. If I confess my sin, Jesus is faithful and just to forgive me my sin and pardon me from all unrighteousness. I strive to obey God, not to be with right with Him, but because He has made me right with Him through Jesus.

I would like to say that I have perfect trust, complete control over my temper, that I'm always gentle and discerning, but it's just not true. My peace doesn't come from the doing of any of these things. It comes from trusting in Jesus and what He has done for me, as imperfect as I am.

Are you sure that your heart is in faith? For the law is not of faith!
When you say the law is not of faith, I would understand this to mean a person looks to obey the law to be right with God. That is not why the Law of God is important to me. The Law is important to me because it shows me my sin, it reflects the perfect character of Jesus, it keeps me close to the cross, it keeps me from thinking more of myself then I ought to keeping me sober minded, it tells me of the lost condition of many because they don't trust Jesus for forgiveness and the gift of His righteousness. There is no reason in any of these things that leads me to look to the Law to justify myself.

If you had a problem with my last post, I would like you to address what I said. We have a disagreement with the use of the Law. I think everything has been said, more than a few times over. I don't think we need to rehash it.

- Davies

WIP, heymikey80, smaller, anyone, help me. Something is interfering with the communication line between me and Mitspa.

The Law doesn't make me sin. It is the old man nature that would contend with the new man. As for the question, "what part of the law show you your sin?," take any one of them.

The reason I see my sin is because my head is not buried in the sand. Again, I reiterate that the law doesn't make me sin. Romans 5 makes it clear that sin kills and produces all manner of evil desire taking advantage of the Law. Both of us know that we are not perfect, and that's what Paul claimed as well. But we look forward to the inheritance that is found in Jesus.

Despite my sin, my righteousness is found in the trust in Jesus' life and death to satisfy the righteous requirements of the Law to the satisfaction of the Father. I do think I'm pretty low on the worthy scale, so much so, that the mustard seed of faith that has been given me produces in me such a hope when I consider that God would die and grant me His righteousness.

How is not justifying myself with the Law, inconsistent with the law shows me my sin? If I sin, I have an advocate with the Father. If I confess my sin, Jesus is faithful and just to forgive me my sin and pardon me from all unrighteousness. I strive to obey God, not to be with right with Him, but because He has made me right with Him through Jesus.

I would like to say that I have perfect trust, complete control over my temper, that I'm always gentle and discerning, but it's just not true. My peace doesn't come from the doing of any of these things. It comes from trusting in Jesus and what He has done for me, as imperfect as I am.

When you say the law is not of faith, I would understand this to mean a person looks to obey the law to be right with God. That is not why the Law of God is important to me. The Law is important to me because it shows me my sin, it reflects the perfect character of Jesus, it keeps me close to the cross, it keeps me from thinking more of myself then I ought to keeping me sober minded, it tells me of the lost condition of many because they don't trust Jesus for forgiveness and the gift of His righteousness. There is no reason in any of these things that leads me to look to the Law to justify myself.

If you had a problem with my last post, I would like you to address what I said. We have a disagreement with the use of the Law. I think everything has been said, more than a few times over. I don't think we need to rehash it.

- Davies

Your right Davies! you and I agree on very much. There something I am trying to get you to see? Something that the Lord showed me about myself and yet today i still try to earn what He only gives freely. Its a part us that is not easy to see for I would declare boldly that I am not trying to justify myself, yet The Lord would show me how i was and yet still do. The world and religion has taught us "do good get good, do bad get bad" But Christ brought a complete change! Those who RECEIVE ABUNDANCE OF GRACE, AND THE FREE GIFT OF RIGHTEOUSNESS SHALL REIGN IN LIFE.

I still do not think you have answered some simple questions?

like what jot or tittle are you allowing to show you your sin.
Just the ten? how bout the sabbath?

If the understanding of the sabbath has changed? Then its all changed! It has been nailed on a Cross, and only in Christ can any part of its purpose be seen or fulfilled.

God Bless -mitspa

I have made this piont before on this thread? The law is spiritual, To fulfill it, one must first see the love of Christ!

I did not ever know what the commandment "thou shalt not steal" means until Christ taught me how to always look to give!

"Thou shalt not covet" I understood when My life became so full of His goodness, that nothing of this world or nothing no one else had could ever take His place in my heart. How can one who looks to give and feel he has it all, lust for what others hold?

The sabbath, is seen when we have ceased from our works and entered into the rest of God By Christ Jesus. The True Sabbath is the eternal day!

To love the Lord with all your heart? This is only possible when we understand His love for us, and what He did when He gave us His Son. For we love Him because He first loved us.

False witness? Only by when we live by the Spirit of truth, and proclaim Christ, are we in truth! All flesh of every man is a liar!
The mother and father? Well when we understand what Jesus said? that we loved our earthly family more than God, we are in sin.
Adultry? how can a man who loves and prays for his brothers, consider to touch anothers wife?

My point? Until Christ taught me His Love? I had never came near any of these Holy Things! Many are deceiving themselves, by thinking they can with carnal, natural minds understand the Spiritual Commandments!

I have made this piont before on this thread? The law is spiritual, To fulfill it, one must first see the love of Christ!

I did not ever know what the commandment "thou shalt not steal" means until Christ taught me how to always look to give!

"Thou shalt not covet" I understood when My life became so full of His goodness, that nothing of this world or nothing no one else had could ever take His place in my heart. How can one who looks to give and feel he has it all, lust for what others hold?

The sabbath, is seen when we have ceased from our works and entered into the rest of God By Christ Jesus. The True Sabbath is the eternal day!

To love the Lord with all your heart? This is only possible when we understand His love for us, and what He did when He gave us His Son. For we love Him because He first loved us.

False witness? Only by when we live by the Spirit of truth, and proclaim Christ, are we in truth! All flesh of every man is a liar!
The mother and father? Well when we understand what Jesus said? that we loved our earthly family more than God, we are in sin.
Adultry? how can a man who loves and prays for his brothers, consider to touch anothers wife?

My point? Until Christ taught me His Love? I had never came near any of these Holy Things! Many are deceiving themselves, by thinking they can with carnal, natural minds understand the Spiritual Commandments!

Good Morning,

Simply amazing. I'll let your words speak for themselves. We don't need to rehash or have an argument over this.

- Davies

This is a marathon thread that is easy to understand....why all of the arguments.

Exodus 34:28 (KJV)

28 And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments.

Ex 24:18
And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

During the duration of this time he neither ate bread nor drank water; see Exodus 34:28; Deuteronomy 9:9. Both his body and soul were so sustained by the invigorating presence of God, that he needed no earthly support, and this may be the simple reason why he took none. Elijah fasted forty days and forty nights, sustained by the same influence, 1 Kings 19:8; as did likewise our blessed Lord, when he was about to commence the public ministry of his own Gospel, Matthew 4:2.

1. MOSES, who was the mediator of the Old Covenant, is alone permitted to draw nigh to God; none of the people are suffered to come up to the Divine glory, not even Aaron, nor his sons, nor the nobles of Israel. Moses was a type of Christ, who is the mediator of the New Covenant; and he alone has access to God in behalf of the human race, as Moses had in behalf of Israel.

2. The law can inspire nothing but terror, when viewed unconnected with its sacrifices, and those sacrifices are nothing but as they refer to Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God, who alone by the sacrifice of himself, bears away the sin of the world.

3. The blood of the victims was sprinkled both on the altar and on the people, to show that the death of Christ gave to Divine justice what it demanded, and to men what they needed. The people were sanctified by it unto God, and God was propitiated by it unto the people. By this sacrifice the law was magnified and made honorable, so Divine justice received its due; and those who believe are justified from all guilt, and sanctified from all sin, so they receive all that they need. Thus God is well pleased, and believers eternally saved. This is a glorious economy, highly worthy of God its author.
—Adam Clarke's Commentary

Back