Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

WHY DO WE SIN?

it is at that
I live Paul's struggle with sin in Romans 7:14-25, the more I study the Bible the more aware of how sinful I am.

I pray with David....

Psalm 19:13 Also keep back Your slave from presumptuous sins; Let them not rule over me; Then I will be blameless, And I shall be acquitted of great transgression.

Psalm 119:133 Establish my steps in Your word, And do not let any wickedness overpower me.

Romans 5: 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.

Romans 5: 19 For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners, so by the obedience of one shall many be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered, that the offence might abound. But where sin abounded, grace did much more abound:

21 That as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord.
Praise the Lord God Jesus Christ

Some Christians do believe this.
I'm not sure.
If our sinful nature has been eradicated,
then why do we still sin?

I'm not going to agree with your answer...
😁
Why ask the question?
I believe the old man was killed at it's "immersion" into Christ and into His death and burial. (Rom 6:3-6, Gal 5:24)
A new creature was then raised from the tomb, with Christ, to walk in newness of life.
It has a divine nature.
And I thank God for it.

In my opinion, we sin because we are still living in the original sinful "flesh". We have the power, by the Holy Spirit, to overcome the temptation to sin, but none of us is sinless.
Some are sinless.
It is written..."And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts." (Gal 5:24)
No fleshly heart-mind, no vile affections, and no lusts; making it easier to resist temptations.
Are you not Christ's?
I thank God that I am.

it takes lots of discipleship to keep the old man in check . paul wrote
This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
12Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its desires. 13Do not present the parts of your body to sin as instruments of wickedness, but present yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and present the parts of your body to Him as instruments of righteousness. 14For sin shall not be your master, because you are not under law, but under grace.…

our flesh loves sin
Thank God we can kill the flesh...eh? (Rom 6:6)

Yes, but not in so many words in Scripture. The Bible uses several terms/phrases to describe the "old man" of Romans 6:6, the person one is apart from God. The "old man" is carnal, that is, focused upon fleshly impulses and desires (Philippians 3:18-19); the fleshly-minded "old man" is "not subject to the law of God neither indeed can be," (Romans 8:7); the "old man" is temporally-oriented, largely ignoring eternity to come, investing in the here-and-now (see the Philippians quotation above); the "old man" is prideful, selfish, contentious and temperamental (Galatians 5:19-21; Titus 3:3). And so on. Paul wrote very dramatically about this "sin nature":

Romans 7:19-24
19 For the good that I want, I do not do, but I practice the very evil that I do not want.
20 But if I am doing the very thing I do not want, I am no longer the one doing it, but sin which dwells in me.
21 I find then the principle that evil is present in me, the one who wants to do good.
22 For I joyfully concur with the law of God in the inner man,
23 but I see a different law in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin which is in my members.
24 Wretched man that I am! Who will set me free from the body of this death?

Does the "sin nature" retain the power to compel me, a born-again believer, to sin? Absolutely not. Romans 6 dissolves this idea completely (see also: Colossians 2:10-13; Colossians 3:1-3; Galatians 2:20; Galatians 5:24; Galatians 6:14). I am as free of the power of the "old man," of my sin nature, as I choose to be. Wonderful news, is it not?
I agree because you used the word COMPEL.
You said the sin nature does not retain the power to compel you to sin.
I usually say that we are not longer under the dominion of the sin nature...
I believe it's the same as what you're stating.
Some believe the sin nature has been eradicated...if so there would be no explanation
for when we do sin.

In my opinion, we sin because we are still living in the original sinful "flesh". We have the power, by the Holy Spirit, to overcome the temptation to sin, but none of us is sinless.
Yes. This is what I also believe.
Our spirit life in Christ can overcome our sinful nature...
whereas before it was more difficult.
IOW, maybe before we were prone to stealing or lying, or whatever...
Maybe we could even avoid it but it took much moral effort.
Now we can overcome sin easily because of our love for our Lord.

Why ask the question?
I believe the old man was killed at it's "immersion" into Christ and into His death and burial. (Rom 6:3-6, Gal 5:24)
A new creature was then raised from the tomb, with Christ, to walk in newness of life.
It has a divine nature.
And I thank God for it.
OK
I agree.

I mean, I'm not sure the old man was killed,
but he was severely wounded.
While on earth we will retain some portion of that old man.
On this thread, we've been calling it the sin nature.

Pretty basic question.

Jesus told a couple of persons to go and sin no more.

Why do we sin?
What is it within us that makes us obey the evil one?

Is it the sin nature?
Are we born with it?

I believe we are.
I believe this is what makes us sin, even after being born again.

Well we seem to have 3 enemies here on earth. Our self-will, and the enemy, and lastly, the evil of the world.

My understanding is that our DNA contains a complete record of everything in us and everyone else in our blood line all the way back to, Well, Abraham probably. And scripture tells us that the iniquity of the fathers will be visited upon the children to the 3rd or 4th generation. This is to say that, suppose that my great great grandma who I never met or even know her name, was a wich or something like that. Her sins of Sorcery would be as a curse to the bloodline and perhaps be causing problems for me in present. Poltergeist or whatever.
Maybe violent people are John Dillingers cousin and they spread mayhem in their like so that guy is prone to being violent. I don't think we can call it a genetic trigger, but it is in the DNA and will affect us.

This brings us back to the Lord's admonishment to overcome our flesh, so these things can be dealt with. But not a lot of people realize the reality of the situation, or the gravity of it! Use that Binding Prayer! Scripture says whatever is bound on earth is bound in Heaven. So these types of triggers to sin can be overcome and their curse that comes with it. Cast these things out in Jesus name. That was most of Jesus's ministry on earth, casting out demons.

OK
I agree.

I mean, I'm not sure the old man was killed,
but he was severely wounded.

But the old man did die and you were given a new spirit, so now, go and sin no more. Be holy just like Jesus is Holy.

But he remembers what his favorite sins are. So temptation abounds and will always be there until the Lord comes and redeems the earth after the 2nd coming.

If the Lord is going to remodel the earth back to the same condition that it was in at Eden, then there's a lot of demolition work which must be done first! Welcome to WWIII!!

But the old man did die and you were given a new spirit, so now, go and sin no more. Be holy just like Jesus is Holy.

But he remembers what his favorite sins are. So temptation abounds and will always be there until the Lord comes and redeems the earth after the 2nd coming.

If the Lord is going to remodel the earth back to the same condition that it was in at Eden, then there's a lot of demolition work which must be done first! Welcome to WWIII!!
OK
The old man remembering what his favorite sins are...
this could work I guess.

But, yes, there has to be a way of explaining why we still sin.

The proper word for it is the 'flesh'. The NIV kind of confused things by introducing the term 'sin nature' into the Christian vocabulary. What we do not have anymore as Spirit-sealed believers is the mindset of sin. That is gone, gone, gone for the believer.

The proper word for it is the 'flesh'. The NIV kind of confused things by introducing the term 'sin nature' into the Christian vocabulary. What we do not have anymore as Spirit-sealed believers is the mindset of sin. That is gone, gone, gone for the believer.
"Proper word"? Where did you get that idea? The NIV didn't confuse anything. My body is "flesh and bones". The dictionary definition of "flesh" is "the soft substance consisting of muscle and fat that is found between the skin and bones of an animal or a human." The NIV and other modern translations are more correct when they do not use the word "flesh" for the sin nature.

How do you explain verses like these from the KJV? "And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man." and this "And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh? and "Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have." and "And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth." and "That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit." and many more.

Back