Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Ten reasons why every believer should speak in tongues

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Imagican said:
Ok

I agree with EVERYTHING that you offered here.

I have YET to argue that the 'gifts' DO NOT exist. What I have tried to offer is that MANY of the 'gifts' that are CLAIMED by 'some' are CERTAINLY NOT the 'gifts' as offered by The Spirit.
OK, I agree that not all the gifts are offered by the Holy Spirit....

True tongues do NOT exist EXCEPT as offered By The Spirit. YES there ARE TONGUES that exist 'outside' of those offered BY The Spirit. I can't describe nor can I DIRECTLY state 'WHAT' these 'tongues' ARE, but I can certainly discern WHAT they ARE NOT.
....I can tell you that I have been witness to ''demonic'' tongues during an exorcism back in 2003...Perhaps I will share more about this later....

That there is MUCH confusion concerning this is evident in that many have been 'duped' into believing that ALL are 'true tongues'. What we DO KNOW is that for them to be used IN THE CHURCH they MUST conform to what Paul TOLD US concerning their PROPER USE. What I have observed is that MANY that CLAIM tongues DO NOT follow their PROPER USE. Therefore, IN MY OPINION, these are NOT, nor CAN THEY BE, True tongues as mentioned in The Word.
..True I agree with you here....
In all my 30 years of being a Christian I have only seen the ''true'' gift of tongues once....I know this to be true....This elderly lady, ''Mrs Robles'' started speaking in tongues during service one day and when she was done, this 12 year old girl named Jaunita gave the interpretation...It was an awsome message used to edify the church at a time when the church was struggleing. This was 25 years ago and remember it well.....

I do not believe that the tongues spoken by the likes of Benny Hinn or kenneth copeland or any of this holy laughter stuff to be of God....It is un-scriptural and it does nobody any good....As far as prayer language goes, I know this to be true as well, because I do have this gift ....I also never use it in public...It is strcitly between me and God....I have only spoken of it a few times as this is very near and dear to my heart....and I will share a little more about this a little later....

God IS able, through HIS SPIRIT, to gift us AT HIS WILL.
I agree

Oh, and in reply to an earlier posted question. NO, I have NEVER spoken in tongues. At times when I KNOW that I was 'in the Spirit' the deepest in my walk, I NEVER uttered things that were unintelligible to those around me or in my OWN presence. This neither PROVES nor DISPROVES ANYTHING other than the FACT that I have NEVER been 'gifted' with the ability to speak in tongues.
Not everyone will receive this gift....and it has no bearing on ones salvation.....

And to ADD to this, I have never PERSONALLY witnessed the use of TRUE TONGUES. For IF I had, I truly BELIEVE that it would have been APPARENT. Since I have witnessed a 'thing' that those that 'performed it' STATED were tongues DIFFERENTLY than what we HAVE been instructed they ARE to BE, it becomes OBVIOUS that these 'noises' were NOT the tongues of The Bible.
Like I said, I have only seen it once, but I have seen plenty of FAKE tongues and even demonic tongues...

Imagican said:
And, not only do I speak of personal experience, I also speak as one who has studied MUCH concerning tongues. I have read accounts offered by the 'right hand' men of different denominations that EXPOSED the 'truth' of these denominations and their 'teaching' of the use of tongues. THIS, my friends, IS IMPOSSIBLE. One CANNOT 'teach' another to SPEAK IN TONGUES. For we have The Word that STATES that the ONLY way in which a person CAN speak in tongues IS 'as The Spirit GIVES utterance'. So ONE man IS TOTALLY INCAPABLE of TEACHING another HOW to 'speak in tongues'. YET, there ARE denominations that 'teach' their students of theology HOW to 'speak in tongues'. RIDICULOUS. For 'these tongues' are 'something' different than what has been offered in The Word.

Now, are there STILL tongues that are used that ARE the tongues mentioned in The Word? You got me. I have NOT been witness to 'these'. But, I have NOT witnessed EVERYTHING that God has to offer so I will simply leave it the way that I have offered; What 'I' have witnessed so far as tongues are concerned WERE NOT the tongues offered as a 'gift by God'.

MEC

Well, on to the next post...

j,

I eagerly await your 'sharing' of your experience with 'demonic tongues'.

My 'latest' study has dealt with the existence and extensiveness of the presence of 'demons' AND their 'possible' influence on the unsuspecting.

MEC

jgredline said:
So, what IS this 'that which is perfect'? Not Christ for Christ LIVES IN MY HEART. He IS HERE NOW. So WHAT does that LEAVE?
mmmm..Not quite..It is the Holy Spirit who indwells the believer, the third person of the Trinity...... .
Sorry J, I was just skimming again and thought I'd point this out:

Ephesians 3:14-17
14 ¶ For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 of whom every family in Heaven and on earth is named,
16 that He may give you, according to the riches of His glory, by His power to become mighty in the inward man through His Spirit,
17 that through faith Christ may dwell in your hearts, having been rooted and founded in love, (litv)

Vic C. said:
Sorry J, I was just skimming again and thought I'd point this out:

Ephesians 3:14-17
14 ¶ For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 of whom every family in Heaven and on earth is named,
16 that He may give you, according to the riches of His glory, by His power to become mighty in the inward man through His Spirit,
17 that through faith Christ may dwell in your hearts, having been rooted and founded in love, (litv)

1Cr 3:16 Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and [that] the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?

>GASP< How can this be? :o

Vic and Little Angel....It appears I am in a pickle here :wink: .....

Wait I know...If you go back and read my post in context, I did make reference to the ''trinity''.... :)

But lets look a little further as I see an opportunity to preach about the Holy Trinity.....for it is the only way Little Angels and Vics verse makes sense and does not contradict each other.....By the way...Who is the comforter that Jesus is speaking about?

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

I realize that when we pray to be born again we ''ask'' Jesus to come in to our heart and really it is the Comforter who comes which is Jesus/Holy Spirit /God who takes residence in us....The Holy Trinity....

Hmmm Now I must admit I have never thought about this and perhaps it might make a good topic to study....

jgredline said:
Vic and Little Angel....It appears I am in a pickle here :wink: .....

Wait I know...If you go back and read my post in context, I did make reference to the ''trinity''.... :)

But lets look a little further as I see an opportunity to preach about the Holy Trinity.....for it is the only way Little Angels and Vics verse makes sense and does not contradict each other.....

Why yes! It all makes sense now. And you are right, I suppose either the verses Vic and I quoted would contradict...Unless God, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit one or another came into our hearts, or took turns....

whistling2.gif

See,

Once again we have evidence of just how difficult it IS to discern The Word through the LIMITED understanding of MAN.

Christ LIVES within MY HEART. Otherwise, I would NOT be able to discern ANYTHING 'through The Spirit'. The Spirit IS The SPIRIT OF GOD. UNOBTAINABLE, (for ME), until HIS SON made it possible, (through the forgiveness of my sins), FOR that Spirit to enter into my life and guide me. So that when God NOW looks down upon this 'BROKEN VESSEL', what He sees instead of a 'lowly worm', IS 'a LOVING son, an IMAGE, if you will, of HIS SON. For if this were NOT SO, then God couldn't even consider looking down on me AT ALL except with contempt in His heart and a desire to PUNISH me for my sins.

So, what is it then? The Holy Spirit that dwells within me, or Jesus Christ? IT IS BOTH. Christ lives within my heart AS WELL as The Spirit that guides me.

It is when one tries to ADD 'trinity' that this becomes DIFFICULT to understand. And from a 'trinitarian' standpoint; It would not be one, or two, that is discussed here, BUT ALL THREE. For IF 'all three' ARE ONE, then that means that not only does Christ dwell within the hearts of those that accept Him INTO their hearts, but also The Spirit, AND, the trickiest part of ALL, God Himself MUST dwell within the hearts of those that have accepted Christ. And THIS, my friends, means that Christ really didn't NEED to come to this earth to START with. For IF God could have dwelt in the hearts of man, man would have KNOWN God without Christ NEEDING to BRING THE WORD.

In the PAST, God picked ONE AT A TIME to 'communicate' to. Abraham, Noah, Moses, etc............. There WERE times that we have PURE indication that there were ONLY one person at a time that God communicated to. Yet, upon the advent of Jesus Christ, ALL men are able to become a PART of the Body. All men are ABLE to have communion WITH God THROUGH His Son.

MEC

Mec
Please explain to me how both the Comforter and Christ lives in your heart.
Or was Jesus speaking in the third person we he said ...

John 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;

John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.

John 15:26 But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:

John 16:7 Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.

Note: Perhaps a new thread is in order so we/i don't hi-jack jacks thread...unless it is ok with jack..

Mec
I missed this one...Lets take a look..

Imagican said:
See,

Once again we have evidence of just how difficult it IS to discern The Word through the LIMITED understanding of MAN.
Mec...While you constantly keep refering ''the LIMITED understanding of MAN''...Let me be clear...No matter how much one studies the scriptures, without the Holy Spirit, the bible is but a book of riddles...My understanding of what I have learned comes from God...the the Holy Spirit, the third person of the triune God....So before you fault me for learning Greek, studying church history, and theology, keep in mind that english is my second language so still sometimes it is hard to express my feelings in writing....and while I am NO PLACE CLOSE to where I want to be and there is SO much I do not know, it is the Holy Spirit who gives me understanding....Frankly even though I don't comment on all your posts, I do read them and I agree with you most of the time...Where we are at odds is in the deity of Christ...

Christ LIVES within MY HEART. Otherwise, I would NOT be able to discern ANYTHING 'through The Spirit'. The Spirit IS The SPIRIT OF GOD. UNOBTAINABLE, (for ME), until HIS SON made it possible, (through the forgiveness of my sins), FOR that Spirit to enter into my life and guide me. So that when God NOW looks down upon this 'BROKEN VESSEL', what He sees instead of a 'lowly worm', IS 'a LOVING son, an IMAGE, if you will, of HIS SON. For if this were NOT SO, then God couldn't even consider looking down on me AT ALL except with contempt in His heart and a desire to PUNISH me for my sins.
OK

So, what is it then? The Holy Spirit that dwells within me, or Jesus Christ? IT IS BOTH. Christ lives within my heart AS WELL as The Spirit that guides me.
HMMMM, It sounds as if though you are close to understanding the trinity....Perhaps your a binatarian and don't know it....

It is when one tries to ADD 'trinity' that this becomes DIFFICULT to understand. And from a 'trinitarian' standpoint; It would not be one, or two, that is discussed here, BUT ALL THREE. For IF 'all three' ARE ONE, then that means that not only does Christ dwell within the hearts of those that accept Him INTO their hearts, but also The Spirit, AND, the trickiest part of ALL, God Himself MUST dwell within the hearts of those that have accepted Christ. And THIS, my friends, means that Christ really didn't NEED to come to this earth to START with. For IF God could have dwelt in the hearts of man, man would have KNOWN God without Christ NEEDING to BRING THE WORD.
Well mec, here is the problem and here is where ones needs faith...First, who can can understand the mind of God? The bible says ''no one''......What I can tell you is that the bible only makes sense with no contridictions from a trinitarian point of view....

Imagican said:
In the PAST, God picked ONE AT A TIME to 'communicate' to. Abraham, Noah, Moses, etc............. There WERE times that we have PURE indication that there were ONLY one person at a time that God communicated to. Yet, upon the advent of Jesus Christ, ALL men are able to become a PART of the Body. All men are ABLE to have communion WITH God THROUGH His Son.
MEC
..Hmmm, The Angel of the Lord (Jesus Christ) second person of the triune God....

j,

And our difference in understanding of the deity of Christ is probably NOT as far apart as you would suspect.

That there IS deity IN Christ is WITHOUT doubt. But I can hardly 'ignore' what Christ Himself offered in favor of placing 'man's' creation in it's place.

For Christ HIMSELF, (who's entity we debate over and over), offered 'words' to describe WHO He IS. The apostles ALSO stated that Christ IS the Son of Godl. NEVER, (other than a 'confused' individual Thomas), do we have ANY statement that Christ IS God. Each offers and understanding that Christ IS The Son of God. SENT to us BY GOD to offer us The Word.

Yet so many have 'blindly' followed the teachings of the CC in their 'man-made' understanding of God created through their philosophical and pagan roots. Torturing and murdering ALL that refused to accept their 'teachings' until MOST began to cease even questioning the TRUTH.

Some HAVE though and there has continued to be 'a remnant' since the apostles. And despite their warnings, MOST continue to do EXACTLY that which they 'tried their BEST' to place in writting so that upon the day that there WOULD come those that would 'alter' the words of God, as offered BY His Son, into 'something different' than that which was 'given'. Choosing to honor 'themselves' instead of God OR His Son, except in the confused concepts of their OWN creation.

Being a Son does NOT make one The Father. No matter how one 'spins words' the truth is that one is ONE and the other another. That they both are ONE in their 'comminion' does NOT make them ONE as in 'the same'.

The TRUE form of 'trinitarianism' is MUCH closer to the 'truth' than that which it has 'become'. It has slowly but surely 'evolved' into something that even those that 'accept it' don't even understand. NEVER did the apostles teach that we ARE to worship Christ AS God. NEVER were we taught by the apostles that Mary is the MOTHER of God. Never were we taught by the apostles that there were THREE separate PARTS of God. NEVER. That this can be 'read into' The Word is without doubt. Just as, SOMEHOW, the likes of Beni Hindis and Jim Joneses have read MUCH into scripture that DOES NOT EXIST.

As you have stated, there is NOT 'true' understading OTHER than that offered THROUGH The Spirit of God. And this is IMPOSSIBLE to obtain in this 'generation' other than THROUGH The Son of God. For ONCE there WAS the 'possibility' to KNOW God on a 'one on one' basis. This wes ignored and neglected to the point that the 'soul' of man had darkened itself to the point of NO RETURN. It was at this point that The Son was SENT in order to 'save' mankind. NO, not ALL of mankind. But those that were willing to submit themselves to The Son so as to be ABLE to develope a relationship WITH the Father, God.

What a WONEROUS God we have. So MUCH so that He gave His ONLY begotten Son to die for US so that we would NOT have to suffer such a fate. Notice; The sacrifice offer By God THROUGH His Son. Just as Abrahams devotion was tested by the demand that he offer HIS son, God has done EXACTLY that for us. To show HIS devotion and love to US, He offered up HIS Son and not only offered, but ALLOWED the sacrifice TO BE MADE.

Now, if Jesus WERE God Himself, of WHAT possible significance could it have served to offer HIMSELF as sacrifice? Of What significance would it be to offer us the Word stating that HE was sinless? For God to be sinless is a 'given'. But, His Son, having a CHOICE in rather He would FALL to temptation OR rise ABOVE it. THAT, my freinds IS the significance of Christ. To reconcile us once again into the arms and heart of God, it took HIS SON to 'bring us BACK together'.

This concept is LOST on those that believe Jesus IS God. For to 'accept' this 'belief' is to be forced to 'make up' another 'story' rather than understand what has been OFFERED. The GIFT was NOT ONLY Salvation through the Blood of Christ, but a reconcilliation with the Father THROUGH His Son. An intermediary of sorts. A Mediator. An intersessor. Not God Himself, but an AGENT of God in the Personage of HIS ONLY BEGOTTEN SON, SENT to bring us the Truth of His Father, OUR CREATOR.

I know how difficult is IS to recognize and then admit that what we BELIEVE may NOT be the 'truth'. But, what is MOST important is NOT 'what' we believe. What is MOST important is what God would HAVE US believe. And that this differs EMENSELY in most human beings is EXACTLY why He sent His Son to 'give us the message'. Truth in Christ whose words ARE the Word of God. And trust in God that He allowed them to be delivered by one that He loved ABOVE all others. For there is ONLY one God and ONE Christ, The ONLY begotten, who right now at this very time sits at the right hand of God. Awaiting the time of His return. Does HE know the time? Of course not for this He stated CLEARLY. Only the Father KNOWS the time that HE will send His Son, ONCE AGAIN, to this earth to be our KING.

So, j, PLEASE do NOT take offense to my offerings. They ARE NOT PERSONAL. What I offer I offer as I MUST. It is NOT rebelion against God that one is able to 'find' in my words, it is rebelion against that which is AGAINST the Word that I speak.

MEC

WOW!!!

Taken from the abc nightline link offered by J;

"For me, it is almost as if I am able to tap into God's heart and what he wants," said Amber Crone, a member of the church. "I don't really know what I am saying, but I know it is what God wants me to say and speak. It is more of an enlightenment  you can feel him all around you, and you can feel him speaking through the words that you are saying."

Now, I don't know about you 'good folks', but this SCREAMS of some 'new age' phenominon that is NOT Spiritual. That it 'comes from 'a' spirit' is UNDENIABLE. But 'what' spirit?

For GOD is NOT the 'author of confusion'........................ Hmmmm, Anyone ever stop to question WHO IS the 'author of confusion'? Yeah, that's right. Like it or not.

What I read above is 'someone' who DOESN'T even KNOW what they are 'saying', BUT, they KNOW that it is FROM GOD. How do you reacon that this could BE? HOW could one POSSIBLY say something, NOT EVEN KNOW WHAT THEY ARE SAYING, but KNOW that is inspired by God Himself?

Obviously there will be those that are UNABLE to understand what I am asking. Let me clarify.

The ONLY offering that this person adds to the REASON that 'she KNOWS' that it is 'from God' is a 'FEELING'. Are there REALLY those out there that are UNAWARE that Satan IS able to offer 'feelings' that EMULATE those offered through THE SPIRIT? And HOW could one POSSIBLY KNOW the difference between that offered which IS of God, and that which is offered that IS NOT?

Since, if I answer this, I will be 'accused' of 'thinking' that "I" am God, I will offer observation instead.

What do you suppose is capable of happening to one who DOES NOT wear the FULL armor of God? What do you suppose could happen to one that has NEVER READ THE WORD? What do you suppose is possible to 'believe' to one who has 'followed MEN' rather than God through His Son?

DO you KNOW WhO the 'LARGEST GROUP' of tongue speakers ARE today? THOSE UNDER the age of TWENTY. Children. Children that have been 'TAUGHT' that this 'speaking in tongues' is ThE WAY one SHOULD react to 'their FEELINGS'. PERSONAL 'FEELINGS" over the PEACE, 'as in ALL the Churches of the Saints'. And WHO ARE the Saints?

Since 'tongues' ARE for a 'sign' NOT to them that BELIEVE, but to 'them that BELIEVE NOT'. I will stop here with this;

Are those that INSIST that their FEELINGS are ABLE discern the Spirit of God truly in line with what has been offered through The Word AND The Spirit? For we are WARNED that WE, (human beings) ARE carnal BY NATURE. That our FEELINGS are NOT to be 'trusted'. For our 'feelings' are CARNAL as well as our flesh. It is ONLY when we 'put aside' our 'carnal feelings' and accept the 'Spirit' that we are even able to RECOGNIZE that which is 'of this world' and that which IS 'offered by God' through His Spirit.

MEC

Imagican said:
WOW!!!

Taken from the abc nightline link offered by J;

MEC

Mec
Please don't take it as something I am endorcing. i put the link simply to add to the discussion...for those who would want to witness the fakes in action...As I have shared with you, I believe that most tongues are fake and many are demonic...which reminds me of sharing that story...I will begin to type it up and hopefully post it tonight....

For the record I am a believer in the gift of tongues and there are many folk who have the true gift of tongues that comes from God...

Oh, and after reading the article COMPLETELY, one is FORCED to come to the CONCLUSION that this is SELF WILLED tongues. While those that 'speak' in them INSIST that it is directed by God, their words of admission PROVE otherwise. For these were ASKED to 'speak in tongues' for a 'study'.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT TRULY BELIEVES that they can 'speak in tongues' at 'their OWN discretion' yet these are 'the tongues' that we KNOW cannot be spoken EXCEPT as 'the Spirit 'GIVES' utterance? IF tongues ARE REAL, then they CANNOT be 'learned' and CANNOT be 'controlled' by THE SPEAKER. Yet EVERY statement offered in this article and every indication is that these that ARE 'speaking in tongues' ARE DOING so at the OWN WILL.

Guys and gals, doesn't take a 'rocket scientist' to 'SEE' through this one. Pretty obvious to ANYONE who has READ the Word concerning tongues. Paul STATED what could and COULD NOT be done concerning tongues. ANYTHING that goes against that which was offered through The Spirit TO PAUL is NOT TO BE TRUSTED, REGARDLESS OF 'one's FEELINGS'.

MEC

Imagican said:
Oh, and after reading the article COMPLETELY, one is FORCED to come to the CONCLUSION that this is SELF WILLED tongues. While those that 'speak' in them INSIST that it is directed by God, their words of admission PROVE otherwise. For these were ASKED to 'speak in tongues' for a 'study'.

IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT TRULY BELIEVES that they can 'speak in tongues' at 'their OWN discretion' yet these are 'the tongues' that we KNOW cannot be spoken EXCEPT as 'the Spirit 'GIVES' utterance? IF tongues ARE REAL, then they CANNOT be 'learned' and CANNOT be 'controlled' by THE SPEAKER. Yet EVERY statement offered in this article and every indication is that these that ARE 'speaking in tongues' ARE DOING so at the OWN WILL.

Guys and gals, doesn't take a 'rocket scientist' to 'SEE' through this one. Pretty obvious to ANYONE who has READ the Word concerning tongues. Paul STATED what could and COULD NOT be done concerning tongues. ANYTHING that goes against that which was offered through The Spirit TO PAUL is NOT TO BE TRUSTED, REGARDLESS OF 'one's FEELINGS'.

MEC

Mec
I agree with what you said here...

This something that I posted in another thread yesterday, and I believe that it needs to be stated here as well.

Gabbylittleangel said:
.... Even if you do not speak in tongues, even if you believe that it once existed but does not exist any longer, then you, as a Christian should at least have the respect for God to look in your Bible, see that there are in fact verses that refer to speaking in tongues, and know that it is Scriptural.

It is of God. It must grieve the Holy Spirit when people who profess to believe in Him speak of His gifts as if they are something foolish, useless, or without Scriptural foundation.

To debate over the gift of speaking in tongues, is if it never existed, as if it were on the same level of leprechauns and martians; or to call it demonic when Scripture says it is a gift of the Holy Spirit, seems to me to be on dangerous spiritual ground.

The devil can attempt to counterfeit anything. For there to be a fake one there must first be a real one. Secular journalism is a perfect example of casting pearls before swine. Before I would ever discuss the deeper things of God with a journalist, I would first want to know what their personal beliefs are on Genesis 1:11 and John 3:16.

Scripture has verse after verse after verse about speaking in tongues. It is being debated here as if those who speak in tongues have penciled it in between the lines in their Bibles.

Oh how it, it must grieve the Spirit :-?

Mec
Just for you and anybody else who cares to listen...I will share with you what I have only shared with my wife...

First, I need to say how very sorry and sad I feel when I hear folks say that the gifts of the spirit were a first century gift....It saddens me because they are depraving themselves and others of special blessings....

My primary gift is intercesorary prayer... I knew I had this gift when I was 12 years old....Up until I was 20 or so, I thought this was my only gift....At that time I realized I also had the gift of decerning of evil spirits...I denied the gift for nearly 15 years..Thats when I began to embrace the gift...Three years later I was a part of my first of 7 exorcisms...Yes, I said exorcisms...That is a conversation for another thread...

The reason I mention this time line of mine is because I prayed that God would bless me with the gift of tongues for nearly 25 years...I am 42 now..
And for all those years, nothing, nada...no dice...So I said, oh well..it not meant to be and accepted the fact that I would never have the gift...so I was happy....

Then one day out of the blue I was really burdened by some folk at church...I was sitting in my prayer corner...I have a few places that I pray in daily but this particular morning I was outside underneath my prayer tree when I simply started singing...Bless the Lord oh My Soul and all that is with in me...and also Matt Redmans song, ''better is one day in your courts than thousands else where''.......and I did not even realize that at the same I was singing, I was praying for these folks...Now I knew exactly how I was praying and what I was saying....and never had I been able to do both at the very same time....in ''perfect harmony''....I did not even think about what I was doing...When my three kids came out to get me to take them to school, my 12 year old daughter and 7 year old twins asked my what I was mumbling and murmering about and if I was OK....I said to them, what in the world are you talking about...They said dad..''you were saying some strange stuff and it sounded pretty cool''...I then realized what was happening....and this excitement came over me....

That night when I got home, I was so excited I could not wait to get to my prayer room....but when I went to pray, it was very normal..not at all like the previous morning...The next morning the same thing, so then I thought ok, it was a one time thing, or it was my imagination...perhaps my kids were hearing things...None the less I was happy and cool about it for that morning no matter what was very special to me....

One day, a couple of weeks later, I told my wife of my ''sole'' expieriance and she said...my Love, she calls me love...I have been hearing you the past few weeks as you are in the bathroom praying, and when I first heard you pray in tongues, I thought I was hearing things...I said ha??...So it turns out that God blessed me with a prayer language....

Here is the thing though...While I now know when I am praying with moans and growns that words can't describe, I can't turn it on at will...When it happens it happens and only when I am alone...My wife nor my kids hear me any more as I believe God used them to affirm the gift to me...Many times I have went weeks with out speaking in this strange language, but I will tell you this....I am perfectly aware of what I am praying for and the worship music is going on at the very same time...I am now sure it happens more and more, but really it does not matter...My prayers are no more or no less powerful than before....It is simply a special blessings that tells me...''Be still and know that I am God'' ps 46:10....

So for those who do not believe tongues are for today, I feel real sorry for you because you have no idea on the blessings your missing out on...
Further more there is no scripture support anyplace in the bible that says the gifts were a first century gift...If anything the bible is clear that the gifts will cease when Christ returns....

I will also say this. If tongues are used in public and if they are from God, there will be an interpreter to give a message to the church...I have only seen this once in my life and that to is a day I will never forget....

Back