Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Am I saved; or am I fooling myself?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
francisdesales said:
God will not pull the rug out from under us - but He certainly CAN take away what was given to us - our eternal inheritance...

Well, Jg I never thought that I would agree with a catholic over what you believe, but I too have always believed that a person could loose his salvation.
I posted the same verse of Heb 6 and got no answers.

Can you shed some light on this. I read ''some'' of your post, but not all of them as they are too long.

oscar3 said:
Well, Jg I never thought that I would agree with a catholic over what you believe, but I too have always believed that a person could loose his salvation.
I posted the same verse of Heb 6 and got no answers.

Can you shed some light on this. I read ''some'' of your post, but not all of them as they are too long.

Oscar
No problem. I take no offense in this. As you can see, I am in the minority here and its ok. This is not a salvation issue per say to believe in either way...

What I will do is address Frances questions and Destinys and yours and at the end of the day we will see what Happens. If I am wrong, cool... it will not be the first or the last time. If I am right, then I am right. I am not going to try and change your minds in this.

Now after I address your questions, I think it would be healthy to start a new thread on ''Can one loose his/her salvation and OSAS....

I will be back shortly. There has been alot posted since I was here last and need to read it.

If a believer can lose one's salvation, Let's define how he can. Also, how does one determine if he is saved or not? How do you define it? Can any sin cause us to lose our salvation? If so, how do you understand the nnew birth? I guess we can chew on this for awhile. As for myself, I think I have explained my position well enough. Bottom line, one must deny Christ publically and fulfill the conditions of Hebrews 6:4-6.

May God bless, golfjack

oscar3 said:

Oscar3,

LOL! Stranger things have happened, I'm sure!

Have a good weekend.

Regards

TanNinety said:
I had to take a step back and reread some of the posts lovely because that was the exact thought that was on my mind. May be we all have much of common ground but are just looking at things at different points of view.

But I think I have found where our differences do lie.

Faith only camp:
Free gift of Salvation is immediately attained the moment when one gives his heart to Yeshua. Works are a result of attaining this Salvation but are not important for Salvation.

Faith + Works camp:
Give ones heart to Yeshua and continue in the works of love. This walk will bestow the free gift of Salvation when everyone is judged on the last day. The works evidence that ones name is in the lambs book of life. Hence works are important for Salvation.

Both camps agree that Salvation is not a work of our own but it is Yeshua that provides it for us. What we don’t agree on is when this free gift of salvation is given to a believer. Is it after one works towards ones faith and is standing in repentance before the judgment seat or Is it before there is any evidence of fruits of ones faith on earth.

If Salvation is stamped on last day of judgment, then works become important in measuring the walk of a believer if he deserves this gift or not. This allows back sliding and does not support OSAS. If one reads the main criteria why they are being “blotted out of the book of lifeâ€Â, it is not based on “faith†but it is based on “works of overcoming sinâ€Â. So Peter says, workout your salvation with fear and trembling. If it was a one time deal of giving Salvation as soon as a confession is made then a believer is set for life and doesn’t have to worry about works. His faith has already saved him.

If Salvation is stamped on the day a confession of faith is made then, it becomes reverse intuitive to figure out if one is indeed really saved without the evidence of fruits. If the confessor doesn’t bear any fruits then people tend to say “he wasn’t stamped Salvation to begin with / he wasn’t saved in the first placeâ€Â. So for people even in this camp, “works†become unavoidable in measuring the Salvation status of a person.

So I say that it is a dangerous teaching to preach that works do not matter for Salvation even though it is free, because it gives a sense of false security for millions of sisters and brothers in Christ who are in their comfort zone of not seeing the fruits of their faith and are given false assurance that they are OK. It is not just faith that imputes righteousness through Yeshua’s blood but faithfulness.

Yeshua said in Revelation, “return to your first love†and jgredline pointed out that first love is “loving God more than anything†i.e, the first commandment. What is “love� What does Yeshua equate love to? He said if you “love†me, keep my commandments. Love is not just a feeling in ones heart, but actions of keeping the commandments. This is the first love of keeping God’s commandments that the Church of Ephesus was warned not to falter against. If that could get the “candle stick†removed from the Church does that mean without keeping the commandments they will still be given this free Salvation?

Thanks Tan. You have nicely laid out the arguments and issues that people have been puzzling over and need to understand in a concrete fashion. It is funny how many who are 'faith only' scoff at the 'works' aspect and say that there is 'no assurance of salvation'.

However, if I am not fully experiecing the 'fruits' then I can begin to think, as you pointed out, 'Maybe I'm not stamped with Salvation to begin with / I'm not saved in the first place'.

Either way there is still doubt.

Guibox wrote: However, if I am not fully experiecing the 'fruits' then I can begin to think, as you pointed out, 'Maybe I'm not stamped with Salvation to begin with / I'm not saved in the first place'.

Not exactly. The doubt of not being one of the elect chosen few is a torment that might drive one to drink or to the brink of suicide, since nothing can change your status, but the doubt of not having followed Christ and produced fruits will drive one to repent, change their course and “do the works meet for repentance.â€Â

unred typo said:
Guibox wrote: However, if I am not fully experiecing the 'fruits' then I can begin to think, as you pointed out, 'Maybe I'm not stamped with Salvation to begin with / I'm not saved in the first place'.

Not exactly. The doubt of not being one of the elect chosen few is a torment that might drive one to drink or to the brink of suicide, since nothing can change your status, but the doubt of not having followed Christ and produced fruits will drive one to repent, change their course and “do the works meet for repentance.â€Â

Ah, but then you throw the fact that we are still sinful and prone to sinful acts and thoughts into the mix and you still have doubt. Paul says 'What I want to do, I do not do and what I don't want to do, I do'.

So if doing good works out of love doesn't add anything, how exactly does one reconcile the feeling of 'giving into sin' and 'producing fruit thus signifying that you are truly 'saved'?

My point is that it is a process, not a state we are in. We choose everyday how to live, how to act, what to say. As nice as it is to say that 'good works come automatically' I can pretty much bet none of us are in that place.

So does that mean we are not saved?

If we are saved regardless of this 'see-sawing', then why aren't our minds, thoughts and actions completely changed without any of our doing?

Could it be because God has given us the choice to do what is right even though we are sinful, and that our 'change' is that we are walking under His grace now and not willfully following our sinful flesh?

Doesn't this mean that we then have a choice to do good and that we are called to righteous living?

Hi Folks...
Here we go. Before you lynch me, read this a few times...See if it does not make sense.......:)

Hebrews 6:4-6
4 For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.7 For the earth which drinks in the rain that often comes upon it, and bears herbs useful for those by whom it is cultivated, receives blessing from God; 8 but if it bears thorns and briers, it is rejected and near to being cursed, whose end is to be burned. 9 But, beloved, we are confident of better things concerning you, yes, things that accompany salvation, though we speak in this manner. 10 For God is not unjust to forget your work and labor of love which you have shown toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints, and do minister. 11 And we desire that each one of you show the same diligence to the full assurance of hope until the end, 12 that you do not become sluggish, but imitate those who through faith and patience inherit the promises. NKJV

Well, folks here we come to the heart of the warning against apostasy. It applies to a class of people whom it is impossible to restore again to repentance. Apparently these people had once repented (though no mention is made of their faith in Christ). Now it is clearly stated that a renewed repentance is impossible.
OK, So Who are these people? Who was the book of Hebrews written to? If you said it was written to the Heb. then you are correct. It was written to the Jews..... In looking at the great privileges which they enjoyed, notice that all these things could be true of the unsaved. It is never clearly stated that they had been born again. Neither is any mention made of such essentials as saving faith, redemption by His blood, or eternal life.
They had once been enlightened. Who was enlightened? The Jews... They had heard the gospel of the grace of God. They were not in darkness concerning the way of salvation. Judas Iscariot had been enlightened but he rejected the light.

They tasted the heavenly gift. The Lord Jesus is the heavenly Gift. They had tasted of Him but had never received Him by a definite act of faith. It is possible to taste without eating or drinking. When men offered wine mixed with gall to Jesus on the cross, He tasted it but He would not drink it. It is not enough to taste Christ; unless we eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, that is, unless we truly receive Him as Lord and Savior, we have no life in us as the Apostle John tells us in John 6:53.

OK, Folks, now the meat...They had become partakers of the Holy Spirit. Before you jump to the conclusion that this necessarily implies conversion, remember that the Holy Spirit carries on a preconversion ministry in men’s lives. He sanctifies unbelievers...Check out 1 Cor. 7:14 14 ''For the unbelieving husband is sanctified by the wife, and the unbelieving wife is sanctified by the husband; otherwise your children would be unclean, but now they are holy''. , The HS puts them in a position of external privilege.

He convicts unbelievers of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment Lokk up verse John 16:8. He leads men to repentance and points them to Christ as their only hope. Men may thus partake of the Holy Spirit’s benefits without being indwelt by Him.

They had tasted the good word of God. As they heard the gospel preached, they were strangely moved and drawn to it. They were like the seed that fell on rocky ground; they heard the word and immediately received it with joy, but they had no root in themselves. They endured for a while, but when tribulation or persecution arose on account of the word, they promptly fell away Look up and study the parable of the 4 soils...Matt. 13:20, 21.
They had tasted the powers of the age to come. Powers here means “miracles.†The age to come is the Millennial Age, the coming era of peace and prosperity when Christ will reign over the earth for one thousand years.
The miracles which accompanied the preaching of the gospel in the early days of the church were a foretaste of signs and wonders which will be performed in Christ’s kingdom. These people had witnessed these miracles in the first century, in fact, they might have participated in them. Take, for instance, the miracles of the loaves and fishes. After Jesus had fed the five thousand, the people followed Him to the other side of the sea. The Savior realized that, though they had tasted a miracle, they did not really believe in Him. He said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled†(John 6:26).
If they fall away, after enjoying the privileges just mentioned, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance. They have committed the sin of apostasy. They have reached the place where the lights go out on the way to hell to be tormented for all eternity......

The enormous guilt of apostates is indicated in the words since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame. This signifies a deliberate, malicious spurning of Christ, not just a careless disregard of Him. It indicates a positive betrayal of Him, a joining of forces against Him, and a ridiculing of His Person and work.

So in short, this passage is dealing with Jews who were not saved......

Let me also add that Apostates are people who hear the gospel, make a profession of being Christians, become identified with a Christian church, and then abandon their profession of faith, decisively repudiate Christ, desert the Christian fellowship, and take their place with enemies of the Lord Jesus Christ. Apostasy is a sin which can be committed only by unbelievers, not by those who are deceived but by those who knowingly, willfully, and maliciously turn against the Lord.
And Yes Destiny, ''I CONSIDER RICK WARREN AN APOSTATE''

I would encourage you to read this a couple of times...... :wink:

Sorry Jg. I couldn't disagree with you more. This is one of the biggest spin jobs I have ever seen. You discourse just isn't scriptural. I have had a revelation about this a few years back, and am convinced what I say is correct. I have trained my spirit to listen to what that inward voice is saying to me. But maybe you don't believe we can get revelations when we ask God something. Why don't you attempt to answer my posted questions?

May God bless, golfjack

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

28:20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you.....

"And hallow my sabbaths; and they shall be a sign between me and you, that ye may know that I [am] the LORD your God".

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say ?

Matthew 7:13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide [is] the gate, and broad [is] the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
7:14 Because strait [is] the gate, and narrow [is] the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.

Is this the will of God ?
Eccl. 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this [is] the whole [duty] of man.

Revelation 22:14 Blessed [are] they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

Just REMEMBER....this only applies to those who want to get into heaven.

Re: reply

golfjack said:
Sorry Jg. I couldn't disagree with you more. This is one of the biggest spin jobs I have ever seen. You discourse just isn't scriptural. I have had a revelation about this a few years back, and am convinced what I say is correct. I have trained my spirit to listen to what that inward voice is saying to me. But maybe you don't believe we can get revelations when we ask God something. Why don't you attempt to answer my posted questions?

May God bless, golfjack

Jack
Its ok to disagree with me on this. Its cool....This very passage has been debated since the reformation of the church. Unless Christ comes, this will be debated for next 500 years as well....
I will go back and look at your post in detail and give you my opinion on them... I know that my view on this lines up with the reformed view and your view lines up with the Armenian view....

golfjack said:
My friend, The Bible says we cannot please God without faith. Does it please God if we have faith to be saved? You bet. Does it please God to heal us by our faith? You bet. I suggest you go to a Bible Based Church and get out of that works church you belong to.

May God bless, golfjack

Yep, I agree with you here.....

golfjack said:
Fran, Any works I could do to be saved are foolishness to God. This is why Jesus came to earth to die on a cross so that our sins maybe forgiven.

May God bless, golfjack

Yep, I agree with you here as well.

golfjack said:
Galations 5:6 says faith worketh by love. God is love. He has imparted His love to us. If we learn to operate in the law of love, the law of faith will work in us, because faith worketh by love. ( Ther law of faith will not work in us until we operate in the lasw of love).

My faith works because I have love. I do not have love because I have faith, it's the other way around. I have faith because I have love. This is the kind of faith God has. This is the kind of faith that will avail.

I believe we should find a place to start showing love. That means more than just giving someone a hug. It may mean helping some bum in the gutter. That's the way love is. Instead of trying to get love all the time, love gives.

Sometimes we get so excited about faith that we act in presumption instead of real faith. Faith that is not founded on a good foundation always will act in presumption. Faith founded on the Word of God always will act in line with God's Word and will not do anything foolish.

May God bless, golfjack

Jack, this sounds right also...

golfjack said:
If a believer can lose one's salvation, Let's define how he can. Also, how does one determine if he is saved or not? How do you define it? Can any sin cause us to lose our salvation? If so, how do you understand the nnew birth? I guess we can chew on this for awhile. As for myself, I think I have explained my position well enough. Bottom line, one must deny Christ publically and fulfill the conditions of Hebrews 6:4-6.

May God bless, golfjack

Actually Jack
I would appreciate it if you could explain Heb 6:4-6 to me...
All I see is a bunch of questions and no answers from you...
Thanks javier

Even though the word of God is written for different lineages and groups of people its always good to remember...
1 Cor. 10:11 Now all these things happened unto them for ensamples: and they are written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the world are come.

jg, I read your post more than twice, and the bottom line of what you were saying seems to be that the people spoken of in Hebrews 6:4-6 weren't really saved to start with.

I'll pull this one out..

They had become partakers of the Holy Spirit. (Heb. 6:4)

For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end (Heb. 3:14).

Clearly they had become partakers at one point in their lives and then obviously couldn't hold on until the end as mentioned in the verse above. Theres the old "if" word again which places conditions on salvation, and the condition in this case is that we must hold steadfast to the end.

Heres some verses I found with footnotes included:

1 Corinthians 15:1,2 - Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you -- unless you believed in vain. ~ Note: The word for if is a primary particle of CONDITIONALITY meaning if, whether. So clearly it makes being saved CONDITIONAL. The phrase hold fast also means retain from going away, to keep secure, keep firm possession of. The word for in vain has the idea of failure. It also means without a cause, inconsiderably, without success or effort. So obviously our believing in the word of God can fail. We must keep believing the word of God and hold on to that word by letting it be real in our lives.

Galatians 5:4,7 - You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law (the O.T. law); you have fallen from grace... You ran well. Who hindered you from obeying the truth? ~ Note: The KJV has Christ is become of no effect unto you. The Greek words are apo and katargeo. Apo also means of any kind of separation of one thing from another by which the union or fellowship of the two is destroyed. Katargeo also means destroy, loose, to cause a person or thing to have no further efficiency, to cause to cease, put an end to, do away with, annul, abolish. The word for fallen from also means to fall from a thing, to lose it, to perish, and to fall powerless, be without effect regarding of the divine promise of salvation. Obviously those who have fallen from grace were running well (the race of faith, 2 Tim. 4:7) and obeying the truth at some earlier time, but then they fell from grace.

Philippians 2:12,13 - Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling; for it is God who works in you both to will and to do for His good pleasure. ~ Note: The verb for work out also means to perform, accomplish, achieve, to fashion i.e. render one fit for a thing. Either way you look at it, this is something that we are told to do. While Christ purchased our salvation and offers it to us as a free gift, there still is a part that we must do if salvation is to be completed in our case. The way trembling (tromos) is used with fear (phobos) here, it means used to describe the anxiety of one who distrusts his ability completely to meet all requirements, but religously does his utmost to fulfill his duty. This Scripture is a warning that salvation is never ultimately guaranteed, but must be worked out. If we are guaranteed entry into heaven, then it makes no sense for the need to work out our salvation. The loss of rewards doesn't produce fear and trembling, for how bad can heaven be? But this Scripture is not about rewards, because it says salvation. So hold on to your salvation through faith and work it out with fear and tremblng before our awesome God who is the One energizing us to respond to His grace.

Colossians 1:22,23 - ...to present you holy, and blameless, and above reproach in His sight -- if indeed you continue in the faith, grounded and steadfast, and are not moved away from the hope of the gospel... ~ Note: This is conditional with the phrase IF indeed you continue. The word for continue also means to stay at or with, to tarry still, still to abide, remain, to persevere. This Scripture implies that one can stop having faith and move away from the truth of God's word. Don't stop! Stay strong in the faith. It is our responsibility to remain abiding in Christ.

2 Peter 2:15,16 - They have forsaken the right way and gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Beor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness; but he was rebuked for his iniquity: a dumb donkey speaking with a man's voice restrained the madness of the prophet. ~ Note: God really meant business here. He has even made a dumb donkey speak with a man's voice to correct a person. To forsake the right way means to disregard and cease to care to do what is right in one's course of conduct. The word for gone astray also means to be led into error and sin. They were on the right way, but sin caused them to go astray.

2 Peter 2:20,21 - For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. ~ Note: The word knowledge means precise and correct knowledge, used in the NT of the knowledge of things ethical and divine. This is about real Christians who have been changed by the Lord Jesus Christ. They had the correct knowledge of Him. To be again entangled in the pollutions of the world means to be again involved in the foulness of the ungodly mass of mankind. The word overcome also means to be conquered by one, forced to yield to one. Here it means to be conquered by and forced to yield to sin. Then that makes the person a slave of sin again, as the previous verse, 2:19, implies. The word known in known the way of righteousness also means know well, to become thoroughly acquainted with. This is definitely about a former true Christian who was set free from sin, but then turned from that and became a slave of sin again. The latter end is one's last state. So these people will have a worse punishment in hell than if they never got saved to begin with.

2 Peter 3:17,18 - You therefore, beloved, since you know this beforehand, beware lest you also fall from your own steadfastness, being led away with the error of the wicked; but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and forever. Amen. ~ Note: This clearly proves that "Once Saved, Always Saved" IS WRONG. To fall from also means to lose it, to perish, to fall powerless, be without effect of the divine promise of salvation. That happens when one is led away with the error of the wicked. The error of the wicked is the wrong opinion relative to morals or religion, a wrong mode of acting. The word wicked doesn't have to be someone very evil. It means one who breaks through the restraint of law and gratifies his lusts. So lustful sin is the issue. The grace of God doesn't allow you to gratify your lusts. If you are led away into that, this Scripture implies that you have lost your salvation.

golfjack said:

May God bless, golfjack

Actually Golf and Destiny
Here is a commentary from Crosswalk.com
It very much is in agreement with what Jg said. I must admit that his view does make sense to me.

Heb 6:4-6

4. We must “go on toward perfectionâ€Â; for if we fall away, after having received enlightenment, it will be impossible to renew us again to repentance.
for thoseâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“in the case of those.â€Â
once enlightenedâ€â€once for all illuminated by the word of God taught in connection with “baptism†(to which, in Heb 6:2, as once for all done,†once enlightened†here answers); compare Eph 5:26. This passage probably originated the application of the term “illumination†to baptism in subsequent times. Illumination, however, was not supposed to be the inseparable accompaniment of baptism: thus Chrysostom says, “Heretics have baptism, not illumination: they are baptized in body, but not enlightened in soul: as Simon Magus was baptized, but not illuminated.â€Â
That “enlightened†here means knowledge of the word of truth, appears from comparing the same Greek word “illuminated,†Heb 10:32, with Heb 10:26, where “knowledge of the truth†answers to it.
tasted of the heavenly giftâ€â€tasted for themselves. As “enlightened†refers to the sense of sight: so here taste follows. “The heavenly giftâ€Â; Christ given by the Father and revealed by the enlightening word preached and written: as conferring peace in the remission of sins; and as the Bestower of the gift of the Holy Spirit (Ac 8:19, 20),
made partakers of the Holy Ghostâ€â€specified as distinct from, though so inseparably connected with, “enlightened,†and “tasted of the heavenly gift,†Christ, as answering to “laying on of hands†after baptism, which was then generally accompanied with the impartation of the Holy Ghost in miraculous gifts.

5. tasted the good word of Godâ€â€distinct from “tasted of (genitive) the heavenly giftâ€Â; we do not yet enjoy all the fulness of Christ, but only have a taste of Him, the heavenly gift now; but believers may taste the whole word (accusative case) of God already, namely, God’s “good word of promise.†The Old Testament promise of Canaan to Israel typified “the good word of God’s†promise of the heavenly rest (Heb 4:1–16). Therefore, there immediately follows the clause, “the powers of the world to come.†As “enlightening†and “tasting of the heavenly gift,†Christ, the Bread of Life, answers to faith: so “made partakers of the Holy Ghost,†to charity, which is the first-fruit of the Spirit: and “tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,†to hope. Thus the triad of privileges answers to the Trinity, the Father, Son, and Spirit, in their respective works toward us. “The world to come,†is the Christian dispensation, viewed especially in its future glories, though already begun in grace here. The world to come thus stands in contrast to course of this world, altogether disorganized because God is not its spring of action and end. By faith, Christians make the world to come a present reality, though but a foretaste of the perfect future. The powers of this new spiritual world, partly exhibited in outward miracles at that time, and then, as now, especially consisting in the Spirit’s inward quickening influences are the earnest of the coming inheritance above, and lead the believer who gives himself up to the Spirit to seek to live as the angels, to sit with Christ in heavenly places, to set the affections on things above, and not on things on earth, and to look for Christ’s coming and the full manifestation of the world to come. This “world to come,†in its future aspect, thus corresponds to “resurrection of the dead and eternal life†(Heb 6:2), the first Christian principles which the Hebrew believers had been taught, by the Christian light being thrown back on their Old Testament for their instruction (see on Heb 6:1,2). “The world to come,†which, as to its “powers,†exists already in the redeemed, will pass into a fully realized fact at Christ’s coming (Col 3:4).

6. Ifâ€â€Greek, “And (yet) have fallen awayâ€Â; compare a less extreme falling or declension, Ga 5:4, “Ye are fallen from grace.†Here an entire and wilful apostasy is meant; the Hebrews had not yet so fallen away; but he warns them that such would be the final result of retrogression, if, instead of “going on to perfection,†they should need to learn again the first principles of Christianity (Heb 6:1).
to renew them againâ€â€They have been “once†(Heb 6:4) already renewed, or made anew, and now they need to be “renewed†over “again.â€Â
crucify to themselves the Son of Godâ€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“are crucifiying to themselves†Christ, instead of, like Paul, crucifying the world unto them by the cross of Christ (Ga 6:14). So in Heb 10:29, “trodden under foot the Son of God, and counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith … sanctified, an unholy thing.†“The Son of God,†marking His dignity, shows the greatness of their offense.
put him to an open shameâ€â€literally, “make a public example of†Him, as if He were a malefactor suspended on a tree. What the carnal Israel did outwardly, those who fall away from light do inwardly, they virtually crucify again the Son of God; “they tear him out of the recesses of their hearts where He had fixed His abode and exhibit Him to the open scoffs of the world as something powerless and common†[Bleek in Alford]. The Montanists and Novatians used this passage to justify the lasting exclusion from the Church of those who had once lapsed. The Catholic Church always opposed this view, and readmitted the lapsed on their repentance, but did not rebaptize them. This passage implies that persons may be in some sense “renewed,†and yet fall away finally; for the words, “renew again,†imply that they have been, in some sense, not the full sense, once renewed by the Holy Ghost; but certainly not that they are “the elect,†for these can never fall away, being chosen unto everlasting life (Jn 10:28). The elect abide in Christ, hear and continuously obey His voice, and do not fall away. He who abides not in Christ, is cast forth as a withered branch; but he who abides in Him becomes more and more free from sin; the wicked one cannot touch him; and he by faith overcomes the world. A temporary faith is possible, without one thereby being constituted one of the elect (Mk 4:16, 17). At the same time it does not limit God’s grace, as if it were “impossible†for God to reclaim even such a hardened rebel so as yet to look on Him whom he has pierced. The impossibility rests in their having known in themselves once the power of Christ’s sacrifice, and yet now rejecting it; there cannot possibly be any new means devised for their renewal afresh, and the means provided by God’s love they now, after experience of them, deliberately .and continuously reject; their conscience being served, and they “twice dead†(Jud 1:12), are now past hope, except by a miracle of God’s grace. “It is the curse of evil eternally to propagate evil†[Tholuck]. “He who is led into the whole (?) compass of Christian experiences, may yet cease to abide in them; he who abides not in them, was, at the very time when he had those objective experiences, not subjectivy true to them; otherwise there would have been fulfilled in him, “Whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance†(Mt 13:12), so that he would have abided in them and not have fallen away†[Tholuck]. Such a one was never truly a Spirit-led disciple of Christ (Ro 8:14–17). The sin against the Holy Ghost, though somewhat similar, is not identical with this sin; for that sin may be committed by those outside the Church (as in Mt 12:24, 31, 32); this, only by those inside.

Jamieson, R., Fausset, A., & and Brown, D. Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible

So jack. this commentary is very much in line with jg and it is about the Jews or as the title suggest ''Hebrews'' and the text does suggest that they were not saved.

Golf and Destiny
Here is another commentary from the KJV
It also appears to imply that this passage in Hebrews 6:4-6 speaks of non believers as well and again pretty much lines up with jg

Your thoughts

4–6. For it is impossible … to renew them again unto repentance. For centuries Hebrews 6 has been a battleground. That fact alone ought to warn us to study carefully and to conclude slowly concerning the teaching of these verses. The crux of the issue is whether or not a born-again believer can lose his salvation. Though many interpretations of these verses have been proposed, four common, contemporary views merit listing.
Some propose that these verses refer to the saved who have fallen from salvation (cf. Lenski, Interpretation of Hebrews, pp. 185–187). Others teach that these are professing Christians, though unsaved, who apostatize and so are forever unable to be brought to repentance and true saving faith (cf. Bruce, The Epistle to the Hebrews, pp. 118–125). A third group proposes that these are indeed saved people who do not fall from salvation, but who fall into sinâ€â€they backslide. This view understands the statement of something being impossible as the impossibility of starting over again in the Christian life. These have fallen in regard to Christian growth, or concerning the perfection spoken of in 6:1. They have become castaways from God’s service (cf. G. H. Lang, The Epistle to the Hebrews, pp. 93–107, M. F. Unger, Unger’s Bible Handbook, pp. 95–101). The fourth popular view states that these verses refer to a hypothetical situation whereby the author stresses what would happen to a saved person if he could fall away (cf. Kent, The Epistle to the Hebrews, pp. 107–115; and, T. Hewitt, The Epistle to the Hebrews, TNTC, pp. 108–111). The author does not believe one can lose his salvation, or that his readers had (6:9); but he speaks to demonstrate the folly some might have in imagining that they can turn back to Judaism without suffering loss. “The warning was directed to those who claimed to be saved, and took them at their own estimate of themselves to show the folly of their viewpoint†(Kent, p. 113). True believers would also be warned of the severity of excluding Christ from their lives. Though the author is not writing about his readers (vs. 4, those), he is still writing for their sakes (vs. 9, you). This writer sees the fourth interpretation as harmonizing best with the grammatical and doctrinal data in the passage.

Though much uncertainty exists regarding the interpretation of these verses, six facts stand forth. First, verses 4–6 contain no regular, finite verbs. The verbal forms are participles, an infinitive, and an implied verb. This structure makes interpretation difficult. Second, those who are described within these verses have received profound spiritual blessings (whether saved or not). Third, it is impossible to bring those who fall away back again to repentance. So if this passage teaches that a person can lose his salvation, it also must teach that he can never be saved a second or third time. Fourth, whatever these verses might teach, such is not true of those believers to whom the author writes (vs. 9). Fifth, though these things are not true of the recipients, yet they are warned to be diligent to the full assurance of hope (vs. 11). They need to know the security which they possess, so as to gain assurance. Sixth, verses 13–20 emphatically teach the certainty of God’s promise of redemption. Despite the negative tone with which the warning began (5:11–14), it ends positively. In fact, it speaks against insecurity regarding the believer’s salvation. Actually, the problem of the passage is immaturity, not insecurity.
Hebrews 6 agrees with the general tenor of Scripture concerning the security of the born-again believer. Security is objective and depends upon God. Assurance of salvation, however, is subjective, depending upon the believer’s acceptance of God’s promise. Although a believer’s spiritual life is secure, he may not think or feel so; and thus, he lacks assurance. We cannot mature in the Christian life if we are uncertain about God’s promise of eternal life, for it is the first step of trust. One basis for the security of the believer involves the promises that are recorded in God’s Word (6:18–20; 7:24–25; 8:12; 10:10–14;Jn 10:28–30; Rom 8:28–39; Phil 1:6; I Jn 5:13). Yet, an even stronger basis for our security is found within the nature of the new life that God gives. Though conversion involves man’s will, it is God’s will that produces regeneration (Jn 1:13). Thus, salvation is infinitely more than a decision that man can make and then break. It is the work of God that transforms us from darkness to light (Col 1:13; II Cor 4:4), from death to life (Jn 5:24), from a child of the devil to a son of God. God makes us His sons (Rom 8:14–17). It is a completed, regenerating work (10:14; Eph 2:8â€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“Ye are saved†or “You have been and stand saved,†perfect tense). And through His saving grace He makes us holy (II Cor 5:21; Rom 4:8â€â€Ã¢â‚¬Å“Blessed is the man concerning whom the Lord will never reckon sin,†Gr ou mē).
Several participles within these verses describe those who cannot be renewed. One should not base any doctrine upon these descriptive terms, since none absolutely imply regeneration; yet, they do suggest the salvation experience. The author refers to these persons first as those who were once enlightened (vs. 4). Even though this phrase could refer to something short of regeneration, two facts favor the idea that it is. It is used in the parallel fourth warning (10:32). There the author seems to describe their salvation experience: “But call to remembrance the former days, in which, after ye were illuminated, ye endured a great fight of afflictions.†Second, the use of once (Gr hapax, once-for-all) suggests finality. The second participle describes these people as having tasted of the heavenly gift. The word tasted (Gr geuomai, taste) often carries a broader meaning (to partake of something in its entirety). In Acts 10:10 it refers to partaking of a meal, not merely tasting the food. In Chapter 2 verse 9, Christ tasted death; He fully partook of it. In the same sense these people have partaken of the heavenly gift and of the Holy Spirit. Further, they have fully experienced the Word of God and powers of the coming age.

If they shall fall away. The interpretation of the fifth participle has created much controversy. This participle (Gr parapesontas) has the same basic form as the first four, which have been translated substantivally (those who were). Our version translates it circumstantially (adverbially) as a condition: if they shall fall away. This is a legitimate usage and even a common practice by our author as witnessed in 2:3 and 10:26, but especially in 6:8 (if it bear thorns). The context does allow a difference between the fifth participle and the first four, in that the first four refer to blessings which they have experienced, whereas this one and the following two do not. The very last two are commonly treated as circumstantial with a causal idea, as in our Authorized Version (seeing they crucify). It should not be assumed that the fifth participle cannot also be circumstantial. Nevertheless, extreme caution should be taken in developing any doctrine or even an interpretation based upon these participles alone. The utter impossibility of the next phrase would indicate that this “falling away†is hypothetical and not actual.

They crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh. The author’s thought is that once they have experienced all that Christ has to offer and then deliberately turn back, they are as those who first crucified Christ. By their rejection of Christ’s ministry on their behalf, they put him to an open shame. The last two participles use the present tense (the first five are aorist), expressing a continuous act, so that they keep on crucifying Christ and exposing Him to shame. Anyone who would do such things can never be brought to repentance, for there is no other gospel. There is no other Saviour. Since this epistle makes it clear that Christ can only be crucified once, this situation must be viewed hypothetically. The ter’s argument is that “if†one could “fall away,†he would, thereby, “crucify afresh†his Lord. Since that cannot happen (for Christ died once for all sin), then the one falling away could not be renewed to faith and repentance. Such is never the case, for Christ is always available to the repentant sinner.

KJV Bible commentary.

Destiny and Gof
Here is a real good commnatry from McGee, J. V.

He presents differant views, but again it is not speaking of a believer loosing his salvation.
This commentary has brought me great comfort.

This brings us to that passage which has caused as many difficulties as any in the Scriptures. Some consider it the most difficult passage to interpret.
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.
For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God:
But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned.
But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak [Heb. 6:4–9].
Verse 9 is the key to the passage, but we need the context to understand what is being said.
As we study this section, we are immediately confronted with the amazing fact that generally commentators have avoided this chapter. Even such a man as Dr. G. Campbell Morgan, the prince of expositors, has completely bypassed it in his book on Hebrews. However, when we do come upon the interpretations available and summarize each, we can well understand why men have chosen to remain clear of this scene of confusion because we can get many interpretations.
In the interest of an honest search after the evident meaning of these verses, let us examine some of the interpretations.
The most unsatisfactory to me of all interpretations is that the Christians mentioned here are Christians who have lost their salvation. That is, they were once saved but have lost their salvation. There are many folk who hold this position, and for the most part they are real born again Christians themselves. However, this belief makes them as uncomfortable as I am when I am making a trip by plane. I know that I am just as safe on that plane as anyone there, but I do not enjoy it as some of them do. There are many folk today who are not sure about their salvation and therefore are not enjoying it. Nevertheless they are saved if they have fixed their trust in Christ as their Savior. The essential thing is not the amount of faith they have but the one to whom it is directed. They turn to this passage of Scripture more than any other since they deny that we have a sure salvation which cannot be lost and that the believer is safe in Christ.
I want to make it abundantly clear that I believe we have a sure salvation because Scripture is very emphatic on this point. Paul says in Romans 8:1: “There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus …†and, my friend, he expands that great truth to the triumphant climax of such a bold statement as, “Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God’s elect? It is God that justifieth†(Rom. 8:33). The throne of God is back of the weakest, humblest man who has come to trust Christ, and today there is not a created intelligence in God’s universe that can bring a charge against one of these who is justified through faith in His blood. Paul continues in Romans 8:34–39: “Who is he that condemneth? [1] It is Christ that died, [2] yea rather, that is risen again, [3] who is even at the right hand of God, [4] who also maketh intercession for us.†My friend, if you drink in those words you will have a great foundation of assurance. “Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us.†Does that satisfy you? Well, let’s keep going. Paul is not through yet. “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.†Can you mention anything that Paul didn’t mention in this passage? Can you find anything that could separate you from the love of Christ? May I say to you, this list takes in the whole kit and caboodle. Here we have a guarantee that nothing can separate us from the love of Godâ€â€nothing that is seen, nothing that is unseen, nothing that is natural, nothing that is supernatural can separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
The Lord Jesus Christ also makes some tremendous statements about our absolute security. Listen to Him, trust in Him, and believe Him. The Word of God is living and powerful, my friend. Jesus said, “My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life†(John 10:27–28). What kind of life? Eternal life. If you can lose it, it is not eternal! “And they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father’s hand†(John 10:28–29). It is not a question of your ability to hold on to Him; it is His ability to hold on to you. He says here with the infinite wisdom and full authority of the Godhead that He can hold us and that they who trust Him shall never perish. The question is: Is your hope fixed in God who is all-powerful, or in a god who may suffer defeat?
I have cited only some of the passages of Scripture that make it abundantly clear that you and I cannot be lost after we have been born again into the family of God. We become children of God through faith in Christ. Once a person has become a child of God through faith in Christ he has eternal life. I cannot accept the interpretation that the people in Hebrews 6:4–9 were once saved and had lost their salvation.
There is a second interpretation that has some merit in it. There are those who contend that this is a hypothetical case. “If they shall fall away.†There is only a possibility that this might happen. The writer does not say that it happens, only that it might be possible. Those who contend that this is the correct interpretation say that it is the biggest “IF†in the Bible, and I would agree with them. If I did not take another position on the interpretation of this passage in Hebrews, I would accept this one.
The third interpretation points out that in verse 6 there really is no “if†in the Greek. It is a participle and should be translated “having fallen away.†Therefore these folk have another interpretation, which is that the passage speaks of mere professors, that they are not genuine believers. They only profess to be Christians. Well, I cannot accept this view, although such scholars as Matthew Henry, F. W. Grant, and J. N. Darby hold this thinking, as does C. I. Scofield in his excellent reference Bibleâ€â€a Bible which I feel every Christian should own, although in some cases I do not concur with the interpretations given in the notes, as in the instance before us.
I do not accept the view that these folk are professors rather than genuine believers. The Bible does speak of those who merely profess Christ. There are apostates in the church. For instance Peter in his second epistle wrote: “It has happened unto them according to the true proverb, The dog is turned to his own vomit again; and the sow that was washed to her wallowing in the mire†(2 Pet. 2:22, ASV). Those folk were professors, not genuine believers. But in chapter 6 we find genuine believers, because they are identified as such in many ways. If you will move back into chapter 5 to get the entire passage, you will notice that it is said of these people that they are dull of hearing (see Heb. 5:11)â€â€it does not say that they are dead in trespasses and sins (see Eph. 2:1). And in Hebrews 5:12 it says that “when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you … and are become such as have need of milk….†They need to have milk because they are babes. An unsaved person doesn’t need milk; he needs life. He needs to be born again. He is dead in trespasses and sins. After he is born again, a little milk will help him. Therefore I believe the writer to the Hebrews is addressing baby Christians, and he is urging them to go on to maturity.
There are other expositors who take the position that since the ones spoken of here are Jewish believers of the first century, the warning can apply only to them. At the time Hebrews was written, the temple was still standing, and the writer is warning Jewish Christians about returning to the sacrificial system, because in so doing they would be admitting that Jesus did not die for their sins. Therefore, those who hold this reasoning say that verses 4–6 apply only to the Jewish Christians of that day and have no reference to anyone in our day.
There is still another group which stresses the word impossible in Hebrews 6:4. It is impossible to renew themâ€â€the thought being that it is impossible for man, but it is not impossible with God. They remind us that the Lord Jesus said that “… It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God†(Matt. 19:24). Of course it is impossible for any of us to enter heaven on our own; we must have a Savior, a Redeemer. Therefore, this again is an interpretation that I cannot accept.
You can see that there are many interpretations of this passageâ€â€and, of course, there are others which I have not mentioned.
Now there is one interpretation that has been a real blessing to my heart, and I trust you will follow me patiently, thoughtfully, and without bias as we look at it. Because I was dissatisfied with all the interpretations I had heard, I actually felt sad about it. Then several years ago I picked up a copy of Bibliotheca Sacra, a publication of the Dallas Theological Seminary, and read an article on the sixth chapter of Hebrews written by Dr. J. B. Rowell, who was then pastor of the Central Baptist Church in Victoria, British Columbia. His interpretation was the best that I had heard. I give him full credit for it. This is not something that I thought of, although I have developed it to fit my own understanding, of course.
First of all, let me call to your attention that the writer is not discussing the question of salvation at all in this passage. I believe he is describing saved peopleâ€â€they have been enlightened, they have tasted of the heavenly gift, they have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and they have tasted the good Word of God and the powers of the world to come.
The whole tenor of the text reveals that he is speaking of rewards which are the result of salvation. In verse 6 he says, “If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentanceâ€Ââ€â€not to salvation, but to repentance. Repentance is something that God has asked believers to do. For example, read the seven letters to the seven churches in Asia, as recorded in Revelation 2 and 3. He says to every one of the churches to repent. That is His message for believers.
So the writer of Hebrews is talking about the fruit of salvation, not about the root of salvation. Notice verse 9 again: “But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation [he hasn’t been discussing salvation but the things that accompany salvation], though we thus speak.†He is speaking of the fruit of the Christian’s life and the reward that comes to him as the result. The whole tenor of this passage is that he is warning them of the possibility of losing their reward. There is danger, Paul said, of our entire works being burned up so that we will have nothing for which we could be rewarded. “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is. If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire†(1 Cor. 3:11–15). The work of every believer, my friend, is going to be tested by fire, and fire burns! The work you are doing today for Christ is going to be tested by fire. For example, when all of those reports that some of us preachers have handed in about how many converts we have made are tried by fire, they will make a roaring fireâ€â€if our work has been done in the flesh rather than in the power of the Spirit. We will have nothing but wood, hay, and stubble that will all go up in smoke.
Someday every believer is going to stand before the judgment seat of Christ. I wish I could lay upon the heart of believers that it is not going to be a sweet little experience where the Lord Jesus is going to pat us on the back and say, “You nice little Sunday school boy, you didn’t miss a Sunday for ten years. You are so wonderful.†The Lord is going to go deeper than that. He is going to test you and see if you really had any fruit in your life. Have you grown in grace and knowledge of Him? Have you been a witness for Him? Has your life counted for Him? Have you been a blessing to others? My Christian friend, I am not sure that I am looking forward to the judgment seat of Christ, because He is going to take Vernon McGee apart there. I will not be judged for salvation, but because I am saved, He is going to find out whether or not I am to receive a reward.
Now notice that he is illustrating the fruit of the Christian’s life: “For the earth which drinketh in the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them by whom it is dressed, receiveth blessing from God: But that which beareth thorns and briers is rejected, and is nigh unto cursing; whose end is to be burned†(vv. 7–8). If the believer’s life brings forth fruit, it receives blessing from God; if it brings forth thorns and briers, it is rejected.
When the apostle Paul wrote to Titus, a young preacher, he dealt with the matter of works: “Not by works done in righteousness, which we did ourselves, but according to his mercy he saved us…†(Titus 3:5, ASV). From this, one might be inclined to think that Paul is not going to have much regard for good works, but move down in that same chapter to verse 8: “…I desire that thou affirm confidently, to the end that they who have believed God may be careful to maintain good works….†Good works do not enter into the matter of salvation, but when one becomes a child of God through faith in Christ, works assume supreme importance. My friend, if you are a Christian, it is important that you live the Christian life.
When I was a university student the psychologists were discussing a matter which they have moved away from now. It was: Which is more important, heredity or environment? Well, my psychology professor had a stimulating answer. He said that before you are born, heredity is more important, but after you are born, environment is the major consideration! Now let’s carry that line of thought over to our present study. Before you are born again, works do not enter in, because you cannot bring them to Godâ€â€He won’t accept them. Scripture says that the righteousness of man is filthy rags in His sight (see Isa. 64:6). You don’t expect God to accept a pile of dirty laundry, do you? He is accepting sinners, but He accepts us on the basis of the redemption that we have in Christ. When we receive Christ as Savior, we are born anew and become a child of God. When that happens, we are, as Peter put it, “… an elect race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God’s own possession, that ye may show forth the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvellous light†(1 Pet. 2:9, ASV). Now after you have been saved, you are to show forth by your good works before the world that you are redeemed to God. Therefore the Christian has something to show forth, and that is the thing which is to be judged. If he is going to continue as a baby and be nothing but a troublemaker, turning people from Christ instead of to Christ, there will certainly be no reward. In fact, there will be shame at His appearing.
“For as touching those who were once enlightened and tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Spirit, and tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the age to come, and then fell away, it is impossible to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame†(vv. 4–6, ASV). These verses bring us to the very center of this study.
“And then fell awayâ€Ââ€â€fell away is an interesting word in the Greek. It is parapitō and means simply “to stumble, to fall down.†It would be impossible to give it the meaning of “apostatize.†It is the same word used of our Lord when He went into the Garden of Gethsemane, fell on His face, and prayed.
There are many examples in Scripture of men who “fell away.†The apostle Peter fell, but he was not lost. The Lord Jesus said to him, “I have prayed that your faith might not fail†(see Luke 22:32). Peter suffered loss, but he was not lost. John Mark is another example. He failed so miserably on the first missionary journey that when his uncle Barnabas suggested that he go on the second journey, Paul turned him down. He as much as said, “Never. This boy has failed, and as far as I am concerned, I am through with him†(see Acts 15:37–39). Well, thank God, although he stumbled and fell, God was not through with him. Even the apostle Paul, before he died, acknowledged that he had made a misjudgment of John Mark. In his last epistle he wrote, “… Take Mark and bring him with thee; for he is useful to me for ministering†(2 Tim. 4:11). Now, neither Peter nor John Mark lost their salvation, but they certainly failed and they suffered loss for it.
Read again verse 1 and notice that the writer is talking to folk about repentance from dead worksâ€â€not salvation, but repentance. You will recall that John the Baptist also preached this to the people: “Bring forth therefore fruits worthy of repentance …†(Luke 3:8). He was referring to that which is the evidence of repentance. Repentance in our day does not mean the shedding of a few tears; it means turning right-about-face toward Jesus Christ, which means a change of direction in your life, in your way of living.
Many of the Jewish believers were returning to the temple sacrifice at that time, and the writer to the Hebrews was warning them of the danger of that. Before Christ came, every sacrifice was a picture of Him and pointed to His coming, but after Christ came and died on the cross, that which God had commanded in the Old Testament actually became sin.
You see, those folk were at a strategic point in history. The day before the crucifixion of Jesus they had gone to the temple with sacrifices in obedience to God’s command, but now it was wrong for them to do it. Why? Because Jesus had become that sacrificeâ€â€once and for all. Today if you were to offer a bloody sacrifice, you would be sacrificing afresh the Lord Jesus because you would be inferring that when He died nineteen hundred years ago it was of no availâ€â€that you still need a sacrifice to take care of your sin. It would mean that you would not have faith in His atonement, in His death, in His redemption. As someone has said, we either crucify or crown the Lord Jesus by our lives. Today we either exhibit a life of faith or a life by which we crucify Him afreshâ€â€especially when we feel that we have to get back under the Mosaic system and keep the Law in order to be saved. It is a serious matter to go back to a legal system.
Notice again verse 6 as the Authorized Version translates it: “If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance.†Actually the if is not in the text at all. It is “having fallen away,†or “then fell awayâ€Ââ€â€a genitive absolute. It is all right to use the “if,†providing you use it as an argument rather than in the sense of a condition.
Why would it be impossible to renew them again unto repentance? Remember we are talking about the fruit of salvation. It is a serious thing to have accepted Christ as Savior and then to live in sin, to nullify what you do by being a spiritual baby, never growing up, doing nothing in the world but building a big pile of wood, hay, and stubble. Paul said the same thing in different language in 1 Corinthians 3:11 which says, “For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.†Your salvation is a foundation. You rest upon it, but you also build upon it. You can build with six different kinds of materialsâ€â€wood, hay, stubble, gold, silver, and precious stones. What kind of building materials are you using today? Are you building up a lot of wood, hay, and stubble? There is a lot of church work today that is nothing but that. We are great on organizations and committees, but do our lives really count for God? Are there going to be people in heaven who will be able to point to you and say, “I am here because of your life and testimony,†or, “I am here because you gave me the Word of God.†Oh, let’s guard against building with wood, hay, or stubble!
By the way, there is a difference between a straw stack and a diamond ring. And you can lose a diamond ring in a hay stack because the ring is so small. I am afraid that a great many folk are building a straw stack to make an impression. One pastor told me, “I’m killing myself. I have to turn in a better report this year than the report last year. We have to increase church membership and converts and giving to missions.†Oh, if this pastor would only dig into the Scriptures and spend much time in God’s presence. Then he would be teaching his people the Word and many would be turning to Christ and would be growing in their relationship with Him. Every man’s works are going to be tested by fire. What will fire do to wood, hay, and stubble? Poof! It will go up in smoke. There will be nothing left. That is what the writer is saying.
In John 15 the Lord Jesus talks about the fact that He is the vine, the genuine vine, and we are the branches. We are to bear fruit. “If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit …†(John 15:7–8). He wants us to bear much fruit. When there is a branch that won’t bear fruit, what does He do? “If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned†(John 15:6). He will take it away; He will remove it from the place of fruitbearing and that is what the Lord Jesus is saying.
I see God doing this very thing today. And as I look back over the years, I have seen many men work with wood, hay, or stubble. And I have seen others work with gold. I know a layman who was a very prominent Christian when I came to the Los Angeles area almost forty years ago. Then he became involved in a dishonest transaction. He has lost his testimony, and yet he was a very gifted and likeable man. I still consider him my friend, but I wouldn’t want to go into the presence of Christ as this man will have to go when his life is over.
Also I recall a minister who was very attractiveâ€â€a little too attractive. He was unfaithful to his wife, had an affair with another woman, and finally divorced his wife. And all the while he tried to keep on teaching! But his teaching didn’t amount to anythingâ€â€he was just putting up a whole lot of straw. He was not even baling hay; he was just making a big old haystack. Finally the match was put to it, I guess, because he certainly didn’t leave anything down here.
Oh, how careful we should be about our Christian lives. And we cannot live the Christian life in our own strength. We need to recognize that Christ is the vine. If we have any life, it has come from Him, and if there is any fruit in our lives, it comes from Him. We are sort of connecting rods, as branches connect into the vine and then bear fruit. Christ said that, “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me†(John 15:4).
“If they shall fall away†or “having fallen away,†it is impossible to renew them to repentance. They can shed tears all they want to, but they have lost their testimony. For example, a preacher came and talked to me about his situation. He moved away from this area and attempted to establish a ministry. But he failed. He had an affair with a woman, and he had lost his testimony. He was through. “It is impossible to renew them again unto repentance.†I don’t question his salvation; he is a gifted man who could be mightily used by God but is not. “Seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.†My friend, any time you as a born again child of God live like one of the Devil’s children, you are crucifying the Son of Godâ€â€because He came to give you a perfect redemption and to enable you by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit to be filled with the Spirit and live for Him.
“For the land which hath drunk the rain that cometh oft upon it, and bringeth forth herbs meet for them for whose sake it is also tilled, receiveth blessing from God†(v. 7, ASV). The garden produce is a blessing to mmy, it is delicious! “But if it beareth thorns and thistles, it is rejected and nigh unto a curse; whose end is to be burned†(v. 8, ASV). “Rejected†is adokimos, the same word Paul used when writing to the Corinthian believers, “But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway†(1 Cor. 9:27). “Castaway†is the same word adokimos, meaning “not approved.†In effect, Paul is saying, “When I come into His presence I don’t want to be disapproved. I don’t want the Lord Jesus to say to me, ‘You have failed. Your life should have been a testimony but it was not.’†Oh, my friend, you are going to hear that if you are not living for Him! I know we don’t want to hear these things, but we need to face the facts.
Now notice the key to this chapter: “But, beloved, we are persuaded better things of you, and things that accompany salvation, though we thus speak†(v. 9). The writer to the Hebrew believers is saying, “I am persuaded that you are going to live for God, that you are not going to remain babes in Christ but will grow up.â€Â
McGee, J. V. (1997, c1981). Thru the Bible commentary.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back